Fun local tourney, comp encouraged lots of core

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Eirik

Fun local tourney, comp encouraged lots of core

#1 Post by Eirik »

Played in a small local tourney last weekend. The comp gave you bonus points if you had lots of core, not much rare/special/characters.
I took 2nd with this list. The guy who took 1st won partly based on sportsmanship points (awarded for your playstyle and not taking a nasty list). He won first place with a Wood Elf list that had no bows.

Basically we had
* Dwarfs with one war machine and 2 large combat blocks
* Wood Elves with 100% all trees (treemen, treekin, dryads)
* Ogres with one cannon, several small units of bulls/leadbelchers
* Elves with 2 blocks of elite infantry, archers and silver helms

It was kind of nice to play a game where there sky didn't rain demon princes, cannonballs and deathstars. I feel like I want to play more of THAT Warhammer. Has anyone had a similar experience with comped tournies? Most of the comps I see online seem to allow you to take a lot of that nasty stuff, they just try to balance how much you can take.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Cold Phoenix

Re: Fun local tourney, comp encouraged lots of core

#2 Post by Cold Phoenix »

No recent experience, but back when the Wood Elf book had just been out for a month or so, I went to a 2000 point panel comp tournement. Lists where scored from 1-6 by a panel with 6 going to the weakest list and the difference in list comp shifted the result 1 battle point the way of higher comp army per point of comp difference (so a 10-10 turned into a 11-9 my way if you had a comp 4 list and I had a comp 5 list). There where a couple of lists that rated a 2 (Skaven with some Seer, Queek+Stormvermin horde + other toys and Lizards with Lord Kroak + Temple Guard + Tetto), but the average comp score was something like 3.9.

First place went to Wood Elves with lots of Eternal Guard, Lv4 High with acorn of ages, Lv2 metal, moonstone BSB, 2 units of Glade Riders with Starfire arrows, Treeman, 6 Treekin and some Warhawks. I had great fun, coming 3rd (this was about my 4th tournement ever).