Understanding the German Comp pack C.O.M.B.A.T. 8.1

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

teep

Understanding the German Comp pack C.O.M.B.A.T. 8.1

#1 Post by teep »

Wassup guys and girls,

my name is teep and I'm an eperienced painter and noob HE general from Munich, Germany.
I would like to solicit your help to understand and eventually break one of our most widely
used and respected comp packs, namely Combat 8.1.
You can click on the link below for an English version of the full rules, if you will, but knowing how
much most people like reading these days, I'll do my worst at providing a short, high-elf centric
overview.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/110 ... nglish.pdf

The reasons for creating such a topic are the following: first off, there is a hope that some of you out
there who enjoy comped games might feel tempted to try out something fresh in the last days of 8th.
Additionally, it would be interesting to find out what you guys think on the system as whole, where you
see problems and what you think fair and reasonable. What armies and what kind of strategies and
game plans in general would you exspect in such an environment?
Obviously, the Cartman in me would also appreciate some pointers on what your ideas on good HE (and DE)
builds within these restrictions might look like :mrgreen: .

It would be great to get your input, and we have all sorts of dudes on this forum: players
from all around the globe,hardy veterans, doe eyed noobs, savvy tacticians, world class players,
trolls and even one of the original guys from the Combat team, Gwydion who isnt only an excellent painter,
but also a very accomplished German tournament player.
So, whoeever you are please share your thoughts and fire away:

- 2500 points;20:0 scoring system
- no special characters ;no scenarios; no mysterious terrain; no entering buildings
- no congo lines
- fleeing units (T6) yield full points, units below 25% yield half points
- max 3 chars per unit, max 3 of the same unit choice, max 40 models and 450 pts per unit
- chars and mounts yield points seperately (T-Geists, Phoenixes, Dragons, Altars etc.)
- SLoS; hills, impassable terrain and buildings are indefinitely high
- ETC base sizes
- max 12 dice; max 4 dice to cast; max two channels;
- no Power Scroll, Folding Fortress, Crown of Command
- wizards have access to Lore of Undeath
- Champs and chars get "Look-Out, Sir" rolls agaist 13th, Dwellers and Final Trans

Max. 2:
Each Archmage, Book of Hoeth

Max. 2:
Each Archmage, each mounted Prince (dragon counts as 2),Anointed on Phoenix (counts as 2)

Max. 2:
Star / Moon Dragon, each Frostheart, Banner of the World Dragon, Book of Hoeth on Archmage

Book of Hoeth counts as 2 generated power and 1 generated dispel die, Banner of the World
Dragon as 1 generated dispel die

Well, that's the gist of it. What do you think?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

Re: Understanding the German Comp pack C.O.M.B.A.T. 8.1

#2 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

This is a bit of a crazy request, but could I get a link to this in german instead of english? It would be good practice for me.
teep

#3 Post by teep »

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#4 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Danke!
Snake1311

#5 Post by Snake1311 »

How are they planning to enforce no congo lines?
teep

#6 Post by teep »

Well, there is this one rule stating that every unit that consists of more than 3 guys has to be at least 2 wide at the end of the movement phase...
Snake1311

#7 Post by Snake1311 »

That just means that units that normally conga are gonna conga with their flanks...

Silly :/
Irishranger

#8 Post by Irishranger »

Seems straight forward enough to break, cav bus either dp or sh botwd, mounted bsb, giantblade prince on horse, lvl 4 with scroll on high or death on horse, 3 rbts, frosty, filler. Job done.
Ladril Caledor

#9 Post by Ladril Caledor »

I love the comp but i think you guys should reconsider the name. Combat 8.1 looks an awful lot like Combat 18, the notorious neo-Nazi terrorist group. Maybe this is just me showing my age though, they haven't been in the news for a very long time.
teep

#10 Post by teep »

Good call on the strange feeling name! To be sure, that's just a bad coincidence, albeit an ironical one
since most Germans do a great job at learning from history. The next update will prolly be named Combat 9.0, so no worries :)

Thanks for the input everyone - any more (specific) comments on the comp pack as a whole and builds
that you might exspect (HE or else)?
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#11 Post by SpellArcher »

I loved that Daemons are allowed a Dispel Scroll!

:)
Ladril Caledor

#12 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Like I said before I really like it, it seems well thought out and logical. Couple of points though... I'm not sure if it's necessary to ban the Crown of Command. When you have a 450 point unit limit and a conga line ban then it doesn't seem particularly powerful.

The other thing I'm not sure about is the dice cost on the Book of Hoeth and Banner of the World Dragon. Do you mean you automatically lose those dice in every magic phase? The wording of that part was a bit confusing.
teep

#13 Post by teep »

Yup, the wording is a bit off sometimes ,) stuff like lore of death, brolocks and botw/BoH limit your number of power and dispel dice that you might channel. Hope that helps :)