Total war Warhammer

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Snake1311

Re: Total war Warhammer

#31 Post by Snake1311 »

Francis wrote:I am very afraid that this game will enter the End Times with the expansions though. Lets hope not, but I wouldn't get too excited.
A big problem of the EndTimes is that the rules are just "tacked on". As a storyline, its nothing a well-designed game can't handle well.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#32 Post by Prince of Spires »

Snake1311 wrote:
Francis wrote:I am very afraid that this game will enter the End Times with the expansions though. Lets hope not, but I wouldn't get too excited.
A big problem of the EndTimes is that the rules are just "tacked on". As a storyline, its nothing a well-designed game can't handle well.
Thinking about it, I agree with Snake. The ET as a campaign like starting point could work remarkably well in a game setting.

If you only take the starting point of the different ET books, then you have a great setting for a player who likes a challenge. Most would play out a bit similar to how the golden horde appeared in medieval TW. Nagash can simply be a new general + a bunch of units appearing somewhere on the map. Same with Glottkin and Tanquol. Khaine is a bit trickier (though there is no elves yet), but you could have a civil war in both elven nations with unrest and rebels all over the place. Sinking part of the map would perhaps not be the best idea. Archaon can have a time-component included in it. He needs to be defeated before X turns have passed, otherwise you auto-lose the game.

All in all, it actually sounds like a lot more fun then it was in the books.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#33 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

All in all, it actually sounds like a lot more fun then it was in the books.
Yes. But so does a root canal.

Those books were awful tiresome by the end. I've also noticed that they still have hardbacks of the last couple. I'm guessing they increased the order size compared to the first couple, but I'd also bet my favorite hat that sales/interest have dropped off as well.
Snake1311

#34 Post by Snake1311 »

There is no reason why a campaign based on the EndTimes would have to maintain the same pacing as the books though.

The background setup with the 4 factions as it is, then 1st expansion adding elves (they could be added as one faction, but differentiated in the campaign by their various sub-factions - its not like the lines between dark and high forces don't get redrawn) and 3rd expansion adding chaos as a playable faction seems perfectly legitimate.

It not really the story thats bad IMO (no worse than any other fantasy background), its just bad rules and slightly overbloated pacing - neither of which has to translate over.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#35 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Oh, I don't disagree at all.

I was just saying that better than the books is a bar so low that it's impossible not to clear. That and taking the opportunity to bash the books. Which somehow managed to come in under the rather low bar I've set for my expectations of GW these days.
Knight of the Raven

#36 Post by Knight of the Raven »

Since it's a game, even if they start the End Times, you'll be able to do something no one in the lore has managed to achieve: beat back Chaos.

Maybe make a big friendly alliance like in Mass Effect 3 too. :lol:
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#37 Post by Elithmar »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKPw86ivR7A

Love how the trolls walk. :lol:

It looks like it's going to be really close to the tabletop game, with even the same spells. Foot of Gork looks great.
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#38 Post by Prince of Spires »

video @ 3:08 onwards wrote:This is a doomdiver catapult...
You can opt to take first person control of the doomdiver and pilot him to his doom
:D want want want...! \:D/

That looks great. I'm exited and I'd love to see more :) Or actually, I'd love to play. It sounds like they understand the world, have a clear aim to make the different races distinct, bring balance to the game and want to see mass battles.

:D Fun!

Rod

Check out my plog

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

Re: Total war Warhammer Elves spotted!

#39 Post by Prince of Spires »

Another Total War Warhammer video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJE5SFDaNc

It's mainly about the economy system that will be put in place. It sounds like it's going to be fun.

And, more importantly, Elves spotted in the video. Starting around 8.23, there is a HE vs DE battle going on, with a lot of the army book units getting an appearance.

Rod

Check out my plog

Mentheus of Chrace

Re: Total war Warhammer Elves spotted!

#40 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

Prince of Spires wrote:Another Total War Warhammer video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJE5SFDaNc

It's mainly about the economy system that will be put in place. It sounds like it's going to be fun.

And, more importantly, Elves spotted in the video. Starting around 8.23, there is a HE vs DE battle going on, with a lot of the army book units getting an appearance.

Rod
This isn't a Creative Assembly or Total War: Warhammer video. It's speculation and a mod for an old game.
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#41 Post by Elithmar »

Quite right, it looks like Mediaeval II. I'd only trust videos from the official Total War channel.
Cold Phoenix

#42 Post by Cold Phoenix »

As far as I know, Arch Warhammer is a fan-based WHFB Lore channel, not an official source. Also, the battles going on in the video weren’t what I'd expect from a in-development version of Warhammer: Total War. The game engine and interface looked exactly like the Medieval II: Total War version, released in 2006 with reskinned units and some new animations. I think it was just a modded version of Medieval II that was just used to provide a background for people to look at while Arch Warhammer expounded on his views of possible ways to run Warhammer: Total War's economy.

Edit: Ninja’d by Mentheus and Elithmar.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#43 Post by Elithmar »

This, however, is from the real game. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK0BMkKmwB4

There are so many great things here, too many to mention. For example, it seems like characters will be able to pick up some familiar magic items in the campaign. However, one worrying thing is the monster combat. Look carefully at around 7-8 mins in, when the slayers are fighting the giant. They look to just be swinging their axes from metres away and magically wounding the giant! :?
LordAnubis

#44 Post by LordAnubis »

It should be noted that this is still a work in progress, very early version of the game, so hopefully that sort of thing will be fixed as they continue working on the project.
[img]http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc207/Veherzak/ChaosUndivided001.jpg[/img]
[b]Rezaile the Puppet Master[/b] - 30/8/6 - 340 kills
Herald of Oblivion
Lord of Twilight on the High Council of the Everchosen
High Prince of Yvresse
Galharen
Master of Brushes

#45 Post by Galharen »

Nevertheless, it looks epic :)
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#46 Post by Prince of Spires »

Ow no! You can shoot into combat... ;)

It looks great. I'm not too bothered by the minor details like the slayers trying to hit the giant. Not really different from regular WH I think. After all, how do infantry units manage to hit a giant flying dragon floating up in the air somewhere if it doesn't want to be hit... For me it's more the overall feeling and setting. It looks like what Warhammer should be like :)

Rod

Check out my plog

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#47 Post by Prince of Spires »

Found another one, which also includes a release date:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbvY_fij9E8
Featuring a Grimgor campaign. Little in the way of actual game footage. But it looks fun. Races mentioned: O&G, Dwarves, Humans, Chaos.

Mentioned release date 28th april 2016. Here's to hoping my current PC is powerful enough to run it.

In other news, in true GW style, you can also get a limited edition full of not very useful stuff at only twice the price of the actual game: http://www.totalwar.com/games/total-war ... ng-edition

Also spotted: Night Goblins https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI_tiWg002k. Including chain wielding goblin fanatics! (right after the 1 minute mark) Like!

Rod

Check out my plog

Giladis
The Merlord

#48 Post by Giladis »

Prince of Spires wrote: Mentioned release date 28th april 2016. Here's to hoping my current PC is powerful enough to run it.
3 Days after my birthday. I guess I know what I will be getting for it :mrgreen:
John Rainbow

#49 Post by John Rainbow »

Anyone else annoyed that the Chaos faction in pre-order bonus only?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#50 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

John Rainbow wrote:Anyone else annoyed that the Chaos faction in pre-order bonus only?
Very much so. It's sort of an important faction. I'd understand if it was choas dwarfs or Tilians or the like.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#51 Post by Prince of Spires »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
John Rainbow wrote:Anyone else annoyed that the Chaos faction in pre-order bonus only?
Very much so. It's sort of an important faction. I'd understand if it was choas dwarfs or Tilians or the like.
I'm not really interested in playing chaos myself. So I'm not that annoyed. And I'm used to the older total war games, where you could basically chose between 3 different flavors of romans. But I can see how people would be. It's like cutting out an important piece of the fluff.

Of course, everyone wants the pre-order pack. After all, who would pass up an original wet-stone pendant and a dwarven drinking horn.

Rod

Check out my plog

John Rainbow

#52 Post by John Rainbow »

Prince of Spires wrote:I'm not really interested in playing chaos myself. So I'm not that annoyed. And I'm used to the older total war games, where you could basically chose between 3 different flavors of romans. But I can see how people would be. It's like cutting out an important piece of the fluff.

Of course, everyone wants the pre-order pack. After all, who would pass up an original wet-stone pendant and a dwarven drinking horn.

Rod
True about the older games I suppose - there were more factions but not many were as fleshed out as the Romans. I enjoyed playing Ptolemaic Egypt but you always had a rush to get up and running quickly before the Mongol horde arrived on the East of the map.
Knight of the Raven

#53 Post by Knight of the Raven »

I thought people could be hostile about Games Workshop's greed and then I glanced at twcenter's thread about the upcoming Total War: Warhammer. I don't know much about developping video games, so I don't know whether downloadable content announced (and apparently close to finished) six months before release is true additional content or core content removed from the game to drive up profits. Either way, it seems Games Workshop found a match made in heaven with Sega and/or The Creative Assembly.

There's apparently no ability to play a cooperation campaign, even within the same race in spite of the existence of different legendary lords, because those same lords begin in the same settlement and are closer to choosing your political Roman family in Total War: Rome II, i.e. just different bonuses (and a different faction leader model on the battlefield, I guess).

There's also apparently less mod support than for Attila and Rome II, which in addition to Games Workshop's likely view that mods equal less money from downloadable content, likely means this game will see the least mods of the entire Total War series.

As much as I grew to love Warhammer Fantasy Battle in the short time I got to know it, I don't think I'll play this game, and I just bought Attila for one third of its price on Steam and have had fun playing Saxons (after getting crushed many times and reading many guides, along with a few mods). I'll probably content myself with watching let's plays and battles on youtube...
John Rainbow

#54 Post by John Rainbow »

Knight of the Raven wrote:As much as I grew to love Warhammer Fantasy Battle in the short time I got to know it, I don't think I'll play this game, and I just bought Attila for one third of its price on Steam and have had fun playing Saxons (after getting crushed many times and reading many guides, along with a few mods). I'll probably content myself with watching let's plays and battles on youtube...
I'll be getting it but later when it goes on sale. I don't really feel like I need it right away. Plenty of other stuff to keep me busy in the meantime!
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#55 Post by Prince of Spires »

New trailer is up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_AD4gHVrWU

Looking fun :)

Rod

Check out my plog

SpellArcher
Green Istari

#56 Post by SpellArcher »

Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#57 Post by Prince of Spires »

the guardian wrote:Games Workshop’s Warhammer Fantasy Battles tabletop game, by contrast, is set in an elf, dwarf and goblin-rich universe that riffs heavily off Tolkien’s Middle Earth (or it was until they recently blew it all to hell with a 2015 reinvention - this game is set before that.)
(emphasis mine). I lol-ed.

The reviewer seems to have a pretty decent idea about what WH is (or was).
However, this is the most diverse and exciting the series has been in years. On our test machine, it was also more stable and faster than recent iterations. Total War: Warhammer has done the best it can do with the legacy Total War engine, and is also a loving tribute to Warhammer.
Sounds promising. Though it also refers to the complexity of the whole game as a downside. Which is probably what many players look for in a total war game.

Anybody tried it yet? (or any of the other recent parts in the series for that matter).

Rod

Check out my plog

Giladis
The Merlord

#58 Post by Giladis »

I don't dare until 9th Age stabilises and I get my PhD approved otherwise someone will have my skin :mrgreen:
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#59 Post by Prince of Spires »

aaawww, come on. Give in. You know you want to...

;) :mrgreen:

Has anybody purchased it already?

Rod

Check out my plog

Knight of the Raven

#60 Post by Knight of the Raven »

(or any of the other recent parts in the series for that matter)
I've had more fun than I ever had with the Total War series with Rome II, and I'd have that too with Attila if they hadn't changed the way skills level up and agents recruitment worked (in addition to the impossibility to play a small nation starting on the Mediterranean Sea). I love the limit to armies they put into the game and am thankful I don't need trade nodes as a crutch just to have enough money to do anything, like I did in Empire and Shogun II. Of course, I play on easy and use mods to make the game even easier (less corruption, less penalty for expansionism, no civil war), so I'm not exactly the best person to ask about these two games. :D

One word of caution if you want to play as Macedon in Rome II though; a glitch they haven't corrected and likely never will correct means you don't have all the level 2 army traditions (i.e. skills). Guess I'll have to start a new Athens playthrough if I want these... Gotta crush Rome in my current playthrough first though. :lol:

EDIT: Here's a dilemma reported from Warseer:
The game occasionally gives you "dilemmas" where you need to pick between two options, which have some minor consequences. Today I got one which shows you CA managed to nail the warhammer character really well; it was basically a suggestion that was like "gee there's a lot of grudges, maybe we should leave that grudgesettling be and focus on the bigger picture for a bit" and the two options were "what? No! Honour first!" and "Stop yer wobbling! Honour of course!!"
They apparently got the humor bit right at least. :)