Campaigns- Sharing inspiration, so much fun to be had!

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Gray

Campaigns- Sharing inspiration, so much fun to be had!

#1 Post by Gray »

Hey guys, I thought I 'd share some thoughts on how I've run some simple campaigns over the last couple of years. It's by know means exhaustive but It's nice to share inspiration :)

Getting started (just do it.) 
One of the biggest barriers to running a campaign is probably yourself!
War gamers are dreamers (by nature), our dreams always seem to be bigger than our terrain and model collections. When planning a campaign I think the best thing you could do is plan to do a campaign with the models and scenery you have. If you try and make it too epic you just won't get around to it! Start off simple. Stop dreaming and do it.

Named units
In all the campaigns I've run naming units is compulsory, Having a name to unit or character always brings it to life, and it makes bragging about their legendary deeds in the future easier too. I don't worry about creating too much of back story initially- I flesh this out after a game or two. Some of the quirky stuff that inevitably happens during a game helps create a picture of what that unit may be like e.g Perhaps they fled in the first battle and are now seeking redemption.

Here are some examples of named units from the campaigns I've been involved in.

Elderemars and the swords of Isha - Veteran ranger band and expert warmachine hunters

Gulrag and his wolf star- no mere redirector, Gulrag has proven himself as cunning as a jackal. Arcahon look out./

Azur Khan the lost and Heinrich the eternal warrior- mortal enemies have duelled many times, they were last seen dueling under a descending commet

Setting
A bit like naming characters it's fun to name a setting, you don't need a map (but it can be cool to make) I personally enjoy keeping the details a bit vague so as battles happen they naturally build on the background of an area and you can add what you want later on with being constrained.

A kick start
The border wars book for ipad provides a great way of structuring a 2 person campaign.
Through a simple system 3 battles are linked together. You chose an approach to a battle ground e.g flanking through a forest to reach the battle field, your opponent does the same and you refer to a matrix and it gives you the type of battle you will play. Your General can also take characteristic tests to gain further advantages e.g he could stage a night attack or deliver a rousing pre battle speech which gives you added advantages. The book is about the best value item GW have created (it's the same price as a White Dwarf weekly and much more useful.)

There are a wide range of battles that can come up in the campaign pack. From skirmishing raiders crossing rivers, to raze and ruin missions where you have to destroy an enemy town. It certainly keeps things fresh.

A tyrant manages to defeat a unit Estalon's sword masters and hold the town of Devonhiem in the 5th turn... Estalon the lore master rips the spirt from the tyrants body in the 6th

The scenarios place different pressures on your army. Some need banners, in some infantry are indispensable, in others cheap troops are great for forming a force where an small point selection is a barrier. I love the fact that some choices that normally never see the light of day in a standard tournament can become brilliant. (My shadow warriors actually become useful!)

Banter
Gloating about the might of your heroes and hungering for vengeance makes the next upcoming battle all the sweeter. One of the greatest things about campaign games is the talking about in-between. Perhaps your opponent can come up with a new creative special element to a campaign, mercenaries may join your ranks next battle ect. It certainly gives you something to think about on that commute to work.

Creating scenarios
Starting off with pre-created scenarios is definitely a great place to start and it keeps preparation time down.
Don't be scared to adapt scenarios too, I've adapted battles from 5th edition campaign packs and even necromunda missions to simulate sneaky missions. You can even create some some inspired by films.
If you have played a warhammer for a while, I think you get an idea of what consist of an Intuitively of a fair game so don't be afraid to experiment.

Battle for the steppes- two completly mounted forces clash!

Gnoblars rush to catch the tomb of an ancient warrior to loot a mysterious magic item, else where troops fight to control other objectives including amouries and a signal fire which give added bonuses n later games.

We decided a mini duel game before the main battle line would give the winning side an advantage through out (the elf won!)

Gulrag leads a band of sneaky skulkers on a sneak attack into an elven town to assassinate a mage. Despite sounding the alarm early, the goblins succeeded. They even turn one of the elven bolt throwers on the elven guards.

Be Epic
Building a campaign is a group thing, your enjoyment of it will depend on your opponents too.
When creating a scenario think not just about what would be a great competitive game, but what would be the most epic game as possible. In time you will love hating your foes units just as much as you love your named units. And your collection will have an epic history behind every model.

The stair way to hell warshrine- this model has captured prisoners and artifacts from the campaign added to it.

Running a simple campaign is a lot of fun, it breathes life into your games of Warhammer and they don't have to be hard to run. Hope the hobby is treating you well. Gray
RE.Lee

Re: Campaigns- Sharing inspiration, so much fun to be had!

#2 Post by RE.Lee »

Great post! Running narrative campaigns really is warhammer at its best. I only did a couple in my time but the memories have always been great - playing in character and for objectives that make sense from a narrative point of view is something completely different to playing for points in a "sterile" ETC-hammer fashion (although the more abstract version is also ok).

My latest campaign - based around the siege and sacking of Leesburg was a fun way to add some background to my HE force and play around with scenario rules. Of course naming your characters is a must!
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#3 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

It is, without doubt, the way the game is meant to be played. The hardest part is making sure everyone is active and committed to it. Not as big a deal in a 2 player campaign, but with multiple players things can derail when people don't show.
Loriel

#4 Post by Loriel »

excellent write up and when Necromunda is mentioned you cannot go wrong!

Naming the characters is something that I am familiar with, but never have I consider naming units. Excellent idea ;)

I have secretly wanted to start fluffy campaign and after total 110 pretty standard warhammer games, perhaps it would be the next step ;)
High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Gray

#5 Post by Gray »

Cheers guys, it's cool to hear about your experiences.
Shannar, Sealord wrote:Message
Loriel wrote:excellent write up and when Necromunda is mentioned you cannot go wrong!

Naming the characters is something that I am familiar with, but never have I consider naming units. Excellent idea ;)

I have secretly wanted to start fluffy campaign and after total 110 pretty standard warhammer games, perhaps it would be the next step ;)
110 games wow! It doesn't detract from the tournament or standard game experience. It can be a real breath of fresh air.

Here is the proper image link for that necromunda inspired sneaky game.

image host