Too young for Warhammer?

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ladril Caledor

Too young for Warhammer?

#1 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Sure many posters out there will know how difficult it is to remain dedicated to this hobby once you have children. My 3 year old daughter has always been really interested in my High Elves, referring to them as 'daddy's friends' and frequently asking to look at them and hold them. Until a few days ago I would do my painting in the evenings, when she was asleep. Then I had an idea...

I asked her if she wanted to try painting some, and we've been working together on them for three days straight. You can see her painting a spearelf here:

A few essentials before you let your beloved toddler run riot on your (almost) equally-beloved models. I used a small bottle (like travel-size shampoo) and blu-tacked the model to the top, so she can easily hold it and paint. I do the same thing myself when I'm painting now, it actually makes it a lot easier. I'd recommend a painting smock like you see in the picture, acrylic paint stains won't wash out of clothes. She will ruin brushes quickly (she often dips the brush too far in the paint so paint gets into the brush heel) so I only give her super-cheap or really old brushes to use. I prepare a small egg cup with watered down paint. It's absolutely essential to keep some wet wipes close by and clean any paint that gets on your child's skin straight away - before it dries it comes off easily. On the first day I let her get kind of paint messy and later found out that scrubbing off Games Workshop paints is a LOT more difficult than kids finger paints.

She's 3 and a half, so at this age fine detail is out of the question. What she is very good at is base-coating followed by a main colour. After she has coated the model I give it a quick follow up brush over, filling the gaps she missed and more importantly smoothing out any built up 'gloops' of paint that could obscure detail.

She did the white base coat on twenty models on the first day, then a coat of gold on the same models on the second. You can see her work in the pictures above. It's not 'Eavy Metal quality by any means, but it's easy for me to touch up and add a few other colours and details, as you can see on the model on the right in this picture.

She absolutely loves painting these models. It seems to make her incredibly relaxed and happy and she wants to do it every day. Unfortunately now I don't have any unpainted models left...but I do have a wonderful reason to buy a whole load more...
Loriel

Re: Too young for Warhammer?

#2 Post by Loriel »

My daughter is also 3 and half years old and she also loves to join me on painting sessions and even some times to play (she tossed dices etc)

Your daughter seem to have nerves of steel to pull that off. I think my daughter would love to paint more but she doesn't have enough attention to do this kind of work (yet I hope ;) )

secondly she wants to paint them as she likes, and even if I try to steer her to certain way "paint trousers with this paint etc" it just doesn't work. Let me present you my daughters latest Orlock ganger.

High Elves since Aug 2010: Tot /W / L / D - 100 / 75 / 23 / 2
Tomb Kings since Sep 2013:Tot / W / L / D - 31 / 18 / 12 / 1

Chronicles of Loriel's Glory and Shame
Ladril Caledor

#3 Post by Ladril Caledor »

They actually look pretty cool, I think Necromanda models suit a graffiti style.

So far I've only let mine do single colour whole coats. She can cover a model in thinned down paint, but I think it will take a few years before she can paint with any kind of precision. She loves doing the base coats though, she gets really focused and today she painted for over an hour.

It's perfect for me as I find base coating takes too long and I prefer to do the details.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Do these young ladies accept commissions?

:)
Furion

#5 Post by Furion »

In China, there is no such thing as "Too Young". It's just a name.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/followfurion][b]FollowFurion[/b] on youtube for in depth WFB tactics analysis (click!)[/url]
Nyeave

#6 Post by Nyeave »

Furion wrote:In China, there is no such thing as "Too Young". It's just a name.
Ouch - Aaaaaand the Oscar for inappropriate comment of the day goes to Furion! :)
(seriously made me laugh though =D> )
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#7 Post by SpellArcher »

What's the joke?
Suriel

#8 Post by Suriel »

That in China children are forced to work
Is a darker kind of humor. ;)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#9 Post by SpellArcher »

Probably something this thread doesn't need.
Loriel

#10 Post by Loriel »

I personally love dark and twisted humor, but perhaps there is time and a place for everything ;)

I showed my daughter picture of your daughter painting and she wanted to paint again! ;) Funny part was that I was flooded with question "What is her name? What is her mother name? where do they live? etc" Well now she is known as Miss Caledor or Princess Caledor here in Finland ;)

Anyhow we ended up painting together and I again tried to give her the paints and tried to say "paint that part" etc, but plain and simple it didn't work out. Allthough I thin k that she painted one fighter from a really bloody fight ;)

She also continued to paint the Orlock as she tough it was unfinished. Now it is finished ;)

KurganFr

#11 Post by KurganFr »

My dad started me on simple Airfix kits when I was about 4 and I've been painting ever since, moving into W40K when I was 10 and fantasy when I was 14. Well done on sharing your passion and doing something fun and creative with your kids!
Lady Phoenix

#12 Post by Lady Phoenix »

How wonderful of you that you have young children who are prepared to help you with your hobby.

Are your children too young to take part in an interest that they can share with daddy that brings them peace and happiness? I think thats a self answering question. Too young to do it unattended perhaps but certainly not too young to take part. Especially girls. IMO there are simply not enough girls into this awesome hobby.

Cost? Well, there is always the issue of the cost issue and I see three solutions.
- Buy some of these cheaper models such as the ones from Mantic for her to paint
- When she isnt looking strip the paint off her painted ones and represent her as "To do" minitures
- Win the lottery

I just think its great.

It actually reminds me of my first "commission" jobs. When I was at school I would buy those toy solidiers at something like £1 for a bag ful from car boots etc and paint them up and then sell them to my school friends for 10p a figure. The profit margins were HUGE.

But yeah, in an age where you are hearing so many bad things about the youth culture of today this thread is such a breath of fresh air.
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

http://www.ladyphoenix.co.uk

Gliitering Host of Nápoldë Melwasúl
Under Construction
Loriel

#13 Post by Loriel »

Lady Phoenix wrote: Win the lottery
Excellent plan, my dear sir!

Lady Phoenix

#14 Post by Lady Phoenix »

Loriel wrote:
Lady Phoenix wrote: Win the lottery
Excellent plan, my dear sir!
Glad I could help, Madam :)
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

Under Construction
Ladril Caledor

#15 Post by Ladril Caledor »

Thanks Penny. It makes me sad to see so many kids these days staring into tablets all the time and being ignored by their parents. I'm trying to make the most of this age, when she will unquestioningly follow me to the ends of the earth, and keep her life as full as possible of a wide range of wholesome, creative and social activities.

It would be great if she chooses to follow me into this hobby in the future, but either way I'm just happy to spend time with her, doing something we both enjoy, as she develops her creativity, motor skills and attention span. We started playing this simplified version of Blood Bowl where we roll dice to move elves and try and get all our players into the other end zone (kind of like the school playground game British Bulldog).

I probably should have picked up some cheaper models, that's a good idea. Instead we went through the GW site and I let her pick three sets...After much deliberation she chose Sisters of the Thorn, Sisters of Avelorn and Cold One Knights. Seems like the younger generation is totally on board with End Times elf unification...
John Rainbow

#16 Post by John Rainbow »

This is awesome! I love it.
Lady Phoenix

#17 Post by Lady Phoenix »

Ladril Caledor wrote:...After much deliberation she chose Sisters of the Thorn, Sisters of Avelorn and Cold One Knights. Seems like the younger generation is totally on board with End Times elf unification...
Two sets of women who can look after themselves with a set of handsome men waiting in the wings just in case things go wrong.

Sounds like she has her head screwed on right to me :)
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

Under Construction