9th Edition "Rumours" (and reactions to them)

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

cptcosmic

Re: 9th Edition "Rumours" (and reactions to them)

#31 Post by cptcosmic »

Mentheus of Chrace wrote: The release of 9th Edition won't cause 8th Edition rulebooks to spotaneously combust or square based models to melt into puddles of FineCast.
are you sure? the amount of hate coming from the community could canalyze into a gigantic ball of fire and burn everything down... the end of times :lol:
Galdor

#32 Post by Galdor »

Prince of Spires wrote:For 9th, we don't even know if 9th edition will really be a 9th edition. Some rumours point to GW keeping 8th edition as it is alive and just having extensions built on top of it (like the end times books).

So for all we know, when 9th comes out it is not 9th edition at all, but a new way of playing the game (like a skirmish style game). And at the same time GW will keep supporting regular WH. That would mean 8th stays around for a bit longer

Rod
I think I'd be happy if this proves to be the case. I love 8th edition warhammer and feel it would be a shame to lose some of the unique armies.
J4far

#33 Post by J4far »

My big gripe isn't the world end stuff but the gap they are leaving between ET and "9th". If they had said at the start of the ET something like "there will be 5 ET books then we are jumping to the next edition/version/expansion thing" then all this would be much easier to swallow. As it stands though with their veil of secrecy I am not hyped for the next "version", just afraid for the hobby as a whole. They hype went backwards for me: Nagash was awesome then they decided to accelerate the downward spiral of reason.

I am taking a wait and see approach and trying to be optimistic but to me some of the new models are hideous (not my cup of tea) and a number of the new ET rules seem to have been thought/written up by a 12 year old.
Delaqure

#34 Post by Delaqure »

Well one thing I WON'T do is rebase my models. I won't be going to any major tournaments that would require round bases. I'll stick with local stuff and play with my square and rectangular bases. I've put far too much time into my stuff to do it all over again. I'm not getting any younger and I way past just pissing away the fruits of my labor.
Zjild

#35 Post by Zjild »

I'm not too concerned as a new player. No sense working yourself into a lather over the unknown. If it's that bad you can still just play with the current book, or your own house rules. Haven't purchased anything other than paints during End Times. I'm just focusing on painting up models I already own. I don't really care for chaos, or undead. I listen to podcasts that reviewed it, and it seems interesting, however, I am not shelling out the money for 5 different books. The newer models look fantastic(not a fan of the new Khorn ones), but again they aren't for me. GW made a huge mistake not updating Malekith. I don't understand the thought process, but not worrying about things out of my hands.
J4far

#36 Post by J4far »

Considering the market there was for new elf toys, I am incredibly surprised GW (a company professing to sell MODELS) didn't release anything with ET:Khaine. They would have been the ONLY models during this whole release that interests me. I actually own all the characters they "updated" during ET:K (metal Imrik, a plastic Black Dragon Malekeith, metal Tyrion, and finecast Alarielle) and was hoping to replace one with a snazzy new kit like Nagash (who looks stunning).
Zjild

#37 Post by Zjild »

J4far wrote:Considering the market there was for new elf toys, I am incredibly surprised GW (a company professing to sell MODELS) didn't release anything with ET:Khaine. They would have been the ONLY models during this whole release that interests me. I actually own all the characters they "updated" during ET:K (metal Imrik, a plastic Black Dragon Malekeith, metal Tyrion, and finecast Alarielle) and was hoping to replace one with a snazzy new kit like Nagash (who looks stunning).
Total agreement. They make outstanding models. After seeing Nagash and Glottkin,I was pretty excited. Especially before the Khaine book dropped. Just disappointing.
Lord Anathir

#38 Post by Lord Anathir »

Not sure about "outstanding". Their elf range in particular is...mediocre even just compared to their older metals.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#39 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Lord Anathir wrote:Not sure about "outstanding". Their elf range in particular is...mediocre even just compared to their older metals.
With you 100%. They've barely improved their own stuff (and in many cases it's worse or simply a lateral move) meanwhile tons of other companies are out there catching up and even passing them.
Mentheus of Chrace

#40 Post by Mentheus of Chrace »

They still effectively have a monopoly when it comes to the Asur - nobody does anything with the same specific aesthetic.
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'
Aicanor
Rainbows

#41 Post by Aicanor »

New 9th ed starter set rumours from a reliable source (so far).
Arthurius11 on Warseer wrote:Box set will be chaos faction vs human faction. There are armoured warriors in a way like chaos warriors but on the side of order. There is a small rules book / pamphlet included. Models are on round bases. End of April-May sounds plausible but I cannot confirm.
Lord Anathir

#42 Post by Lord Anathir »

Mentheus of Chrace wrote:They still effectively have a monopoly when it comes to the Asur - nobody does anything with the same specific aesthetic.
Ebay does (their own older miniatures). They don't make money on people leaving the game selling to people still in it. People will always come and go from any game but GW don't help their own cause either.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Aicanor
Rainbows

#43 Post by Aicanor »

Aicanor wrote:New 9th ed starter set rumours from a reliable source (so far).
Arthurius11 on Warseer wrote:Box set will be chaos faction vs human faction. There are armoured warriors in a way like chaos warriors but on the side of order. There is a small rules book / pamphlet included. Models are on round bases. End of April-May sounds plausible but I cannot confirm.
Content of the set from Tozudos a Dieces. Looks quite believable.
Content box ninth edition

Contents of the box ninth edition. Preorders on April 24. All minis are new, there are rules and round bases.
-Chaos: Two characters, one exclusive; five miniatures cavalry, ten warriors of Chaos, 5 Chaos demons, some kind of Chaos monster.

-Light: Two characters, 10 holy warriors, 10 warriors of the new faction, five holy knights on horseback, dwarf war machine.

In light faction minis look like grail knights.
Edit: cleaning up the translation
Lady Phoenix

#44 Post by Lady Phoenix »

Aicanor wrote:
Aicanor wrote:New 9th ed starter set rumours from a reliable source (so far).
Content of the set from Tozudos a Dieces. Looks quite believable.
Content box ninth edition

Contents of the box ninth edition. Preorders on April 24. All minis are new, there are rules and round bases.
-Chaos: Two characters, one exclusive; five miniatures cavalry, ten warriors of Chaos, 5 Chaos demons, some kind of Chaos monster.

-Light: Two characters, 10 holy warriors, 10 warriors of the new faction, five holy knights on horseback, dwarf war machine.

In light faction minis look like grail knights.
Edit: cleaning up the translation
How will round bases work with units?

Will this mean that we will have to re-base all of our old minatures?
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

http://www.ladyphoenix.co.uk

Gliitering Host of Nápoldë Melwasúl
Under Construction
Aicanor
Rainbows

#45 Post by Aicanor »

There were some rumours insisting that rebasing won't be neccessary. But at this moment it is anyone's guess.
Lady Phoenix

#46 Post by Lady Phoenix »

Well, if this rumour is true then it looks like I could be joining the "Im not playing" gang, which is a shame as I only came back a couple of months ago

Ill still paint though :)
Penny
aka Nápoldë Melwasúl

http://www.ladyphoenix.co.uk

Gliitering Host of Nápoldë Melwasúl
Under Construction
Truthiness

#47 Post by Truthiness »

I'm still holding out hope that these round bases are either a) inaccurate rumors or b) not mandatory. Rebasing is a non-starter for me, just as it is for many of you. I'm going to continue to hope for an 8th edition 2.0 for the rules.

That said, I'm looking at the beta versions of Kings of War second edition. When published, the rules themselves will be available for free on Mantic's website. They're also simple, clear, concise, and designed for fast play. Alessio Cavatore is the main writier and is very open to feedback. They're also talking about having a tournament packet that allows you to use "other armies" that are not part of their world's background, but still use their rules. I've yet to get a chance to play a game with those rules, so I'm curious if anyone else has given it a shot.
[url=http://warhammertruthiness.blogspot.com/]You Can't Handle the Truthiness[/url]:
The demented ramblings of a US Army officer
Sackree

#48 Post by Sackree »

It's a shame that they never truely finished 8th edition before bringing in 9th. Skaven, beasts and Bret's deserved a new book each.

I'm still holding onto the hope that round bases is for a smaller skirmish format and that 8th remains the rule set for large points battles.

Either way I'm not rebasing any of my armies, so I'll be sticking with 8th for the time being if 9th does require round bases.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=45855]Charge of the Loremaster - Army Blog[/url]
Malossar
Something Cool

#49 Post by Malossar »

I've also heard that this started set is just the WH Skirmish starter and uses Blight Kings, Skullreaper size miniatures and the round bases are for the skirmish play.

Take it for what its worth though.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)