How 9th edition could be Awesome!

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Razzy Mac

Re: How 9th edition could be Awesome!

#61 Post by Razzy Mac »

Honestly, more than anything, what I'd love to see from GW is some more of the community feel put back into their stores.. When I first got into this stuff in the early 2000s you could turn up and play in a GW store, they ran veteran's nights, beginner days, regular campaigns... All that stuff was encouraged.

As someone who has recently come back into warhammer, honestly, the hardest part for me has been getting a bloody game! The guy at my local GW here in the centre of Sydney seems like a genuinely decent guy who is totally into the hobby, but he's just one man. The shop is closed two days a week (including SUNDAYS!) and I've enquired a few times about getting games to learn, or if there's some kind of beginner program they do, but it just isn't on offer. The guy is more than happy to stand and chat, answer questions about hobby and rules, to play a demo game or whatever, and like I said, seems like a good guy who would love to do more for the gaming community locally, but again, there's only so much one dude can do. There's nothing organised to bring people together, especially people looking to learn a new edition from scratch.

Maybe 14-15 years ago I was just young and naive, or I just have the rose-tinted glasses on, but when I enter a GW store right now the whole place feels kind of like a car showroom - there's a weird corporate sheen over everything you see, and even (to an extent) the way the staff interact with you. First and foremost I'd love them to support the community more. If every sunday they held a beginner day, or organised an escalation campaign, I'd be down there most weekends.

But it's all a pipe dream I guess!
RM's High Elf Plog
High Elves: 9 Painted, 112 Remaining
Francis

#62 Post by Francis »

Ramesesis wrote: Also, Mantic seems to try to capitalize on disgruntled old games. When was the last time you heard about a company stating they do not mind minis from other companies at their events?

And they run square bases at least.

My high elves fit their elves at least and kingdom of men, here I come.
Yeah. While I will most likely keep playing 8th, I will switch to mantic if 8th dies out. The system seem solid (with the exception of infantry and cavalry hero units, which can't join other units).

It will also be great to be able to field a proper pike horde again rather than proxy them as state-troops spears (I have 60 Alcatani fellowship pikes that in my mind should demolish almost everything fighting to their front). The only other alternative is to use the fan created Dogs of War list that is floating around (which is actually rather good). Oh how I wish Empire could field pike units like they do in the fluff...

And no Razzy Mac, you are not imagining things, I also remember when the GW stores were actually hobby centers.
Ielthan

#63 Post by Ielthan »

Razzy Mac wrote:Honestly, more than anything, what I'd love to see from GW is some more of the community feel put back into their stores.. When I first got into this stuff in the early 2000s you could turn up and play in a GW store, they ran veteran's nights, beginner days, regular campaigns... All that stuff was encouraged.

As someone who has recently come back into warhammer, honestly, the hardest part for me has been getting a bloody game! The guy at my local GW here in the centre of Sydney seems like a genuinely decent guy who is totally into the hobby, but he's just one man. The shop is closed two days a week (including SUNDAYS!) and I've enquired a few times about getting games to learn, or if there's some kind of beginner program they do, but it just isn't on offer. The guy is more than happy to stand and chat, answer questions about hobby and rules, to play a demo game or whatever, and like I said, seems like a good guy who would love to do more for the gaming community locally, but again, there's only so much one dude can do. There's nothing organised to bring people together, especially people looking to learn a new edition from scratch.

Maybe 14-15 years ago I was just young and naive, or I just have the rose-tinted glasses on, but when I enter a GW store right now the whole place feels kind of like a car showroom - there's a weird corporate sheen over everything you see, and even (to an extent) the way the staff interact with you. First and foremost I'd love them to support the community more. If every sunday they held a beginner day, or organised an escalation campaign, I'd be down there most weekends.

But it's all a pipe dream I guess!
I think you're perhaps a little unlucky with your local store tbh. My local has been really excellent at fostering a community of players, we have about 15-20 regulars in the warhammer scene which is growing all the time, about 10 I think in 40k (a lot of people here buy 40k but not that many play in store) and a loyal band of 7 lotr gamers. The reliability of the regulars lets them do some pretty nice campaigns which predictably get more and more competitive (filthy) as they go on. It's great as everyone gets on pretty well and I've made some good friends through it. It's pretty much down to the store staff though, the managers have a lot of autonomy with how they want to run things. It sort of sounds like your local just isn't putting in the effort tbh.

The Australian tournament scene is really strong though, might be worth contacting the dwellers below podcast for some advice, they could probably point you in the direction of a local club in Sydney.
Razzy Mac

#64 Post by Razzy Mac »

Ielthan wrote:The Australian tournament scene is really strong though, might be worth contacting the dwellers below podcast for some advice, they could probably point you in the direction of a local club in Sydney.
There are one or two I believe, but from what I've seen online they seem quite small groups that have been together for years and know the game inside out - tournament regulars and whatnot. GW stores were a great stepping stone, a kind of academy you could learn the ropes in before heading out into the more intimidating club scene :lol:

Like I said, the manager of the GW seems like a great guy, I just think there's a limit to what one man can achieve, especially when trying to meet whatever demands are handed down from above.

Slightly more on topic, I guess I'm happy to wait and see with ninth. I definitely have a lot less invested than most though, having only recently come back to warhammer.
RM's High Elf Plog
pk-ng

#65 Post by pk-ng »

Razzy Mac wrote:
Ielthan wrote:The Australian tournament scene is really strong though, might be worth contacting the dwellers below podcast for some advice, they could probably point you in the direction of a local club in Sydney.
There are one or two I believe, but from what I've seen online they seem quite small groups that have been together for years and know the game inside out - tournament regulars and whatnot. GW stores were a great stepping stone, a kind of academy you could learn the ropes in before heading out into the more intimidating club scene :lol:

Like I said, the manager of the GW seems like a great guy, I just think there's a limit to what one man can achieve, especially when trying to meet whatever demands are handed down from above.

Slightly more on topic, I guess I'm happy to wait and see with ninth. I definitely have a lot less invested than most though, having only recently come back to warhammer.
Misconception there. I don't believe GW is the best place to go. Some of the Infernal Muppets are a great bunch of guys they podcast on the Watchtower and based in Sydney. I believe they like to play at the Good Games in the city. Also you can go to the wargamerau to look for clubs and people to meet. Tournaments are the best way to meet new people in the scene for casual games or for tournaments games.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore
2014 - Chaos Dwarfs & Most Favoured Enemy
2015 - High Elves & Top HE

T9A
Highborn Elves - Army Book Committee
Balancing Board
Highborn Elves - ex-Army Support
pk-ng

#66 Post by pk-ng »

9th Ed will be announced on 4th July White Dwarf
The starter will be out in September and the BRB will be out before that.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Razzy Mac

#67 Post by Razzy Mac »

pk-ng wrote:9th Ed will be announced on 4th July White Dwarf
Wow, that's still quite a while away!
RM's High Elf Plog
Cold Phoenix

#68 Post by Cold Phoenix »

@Razzy Mac

You could always try posting on Wargammer AU. It's the main warhammer forum for most of australia. I've seen threads on the past there from other people looking to find games and there were usually a good number of replies.
pk-ng

#69 Post by pk-ng »

There's always UB :p
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board
Ielthan

#70 Post by Ielthan »

Do you have a source for that? My source had previously told me around June (not exactly far off you're tbh).
pk-ng

#71 Post by pk-ng »

Ielthan wrote:
Do you have a source for that? My source had previously told me around June (not exactly far off you're tbh).
GW rep that came in store.
ETC WHFB Team Singapore

T9A
Balancing Board