End Times: Thanquol!

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Davariel
Chronicler

Re: End Times: Thanquol!

#91 Post by Davariel »

Shannar, Sealord wrote:
Can't say I blame them really. GW has brought a lot of excitement with this end times stuff. However if they don't manage to make people happy with the way they end it they might be shooting themselves in the foot long term. Which does make we wonder about the long term plans (and helps rumors which would otherwise seem impossible sound more realistic sadly).
I think the biggest problem in this respect is the disparity they've created between the various factions. Sure, a guy who plays Beastmen, DoC and WoC is going to be very excited about the whole thing. Someone who plays Empire, Skaven, and TK is probably a little more neutral, but still pretty interested. The player who collects Dwarfs and HE? Not so much.

Now, I'm not saying that applies to everyone (my two armies are Brets and HE, and I'm not too concerned about the End Times so far), but I think it's a problem. The whole "evil is unstoppable" routine makes for dramatic storytelling, but when all this is done GW's going to have a lot of Bret, Lizardmen, HE, Dwarf, etc. players who are going to need a reason to stay, and the way things are looking now, I'm not sure they're going to get it. :(
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#92 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Tullarion wrote:The Dwarfs are all trying to figure out what game system to use after 9th comes out and no one's willing to keep playing 8th anymore.
Oddly enough 3rd is picking up a lot of steam. They've even got tournaments and the like. I've started to play it along with 8th. If 9th is good I'll play that, but I'll probably still play some 3rd as well.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#93 Post by Prince of Spires »

Davariel wrote: I think the biggest problem in this respect is the disparity they've created between the various factions. Sure, a guy who plays Beastmen, DoC and WoC is going to be very excited about the whole thing. Someone who plays Empire, Skaven, and TK is probably a little more neutral, but still pretty interested. The player who collects Dwarfs and HE? Not so much.
This is the main thing for me. While I'm not too happy with what they did with Ulthuan, the most annoying thing is that the good races (and neutral ones) seem to be getting the short end of the stick. The evil races seem to be winning everywhere. Which is really annoying. They should have given the good guys something...

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Giladis
The Merlord

#94 Post by Giladis »

The apparently they wouldn't be doing what they are doing and that is the END TIMES that people both in WHFB and RL fail to accept are happening. The world is dying and we just can't get to terms with that. Sad, very sad.

Thankfully I have started working in Photoshop and am building my own fantasy setting based on the GW's one that will be the place my armies get to hand around and that can be inclusive to various other races that might come from other miniature companies irrelevant what set of rules I end up playing.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#95 Post by Curu Olannon »

Prince of Spires wrote:...They should have given the good guys something...

Rod
It's not over yet! We may earn our survival, which could be a victory in itself :)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
Nyeave

#96 Post by Nyeave »

So apparently the dwarfs are getting a proper beating in the latest book and are next to no more and skaven are having a field day (although they did get a pretty bloody nose doing that).
Any info on what happened to the Lizardmen and the Orcs??
Visit my plog at [url]http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43542[/url]
Francis

#97 Post by Francis »

Nyeave wrote:So apparently the dwarfs are getting a proper beating in the latest book and are next to no more and skaven are having a field day (although they did get a pretty bloody nose doing that).
The lizards are pretty much gone, as is clan Pestilence, so I guess that is something. I think Skarsnik is going to get some stuff done though.
Bolt Thrower

#98 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Francis wrote:
Nyeave wrote:So apparently the dwarfs are getting a proper beating in the latest book and are next to no more and skaven are having a field day (although they did get a pretty bloody nose doing that).
The lizards are pretty much gone, as is clan Pestilence, so I guess that is something. I think Skarsnik is going to get some stuff done though.
Didn't White Dwarf have something about a Slann waking up and declaring the exodus was happening, so they started up the flying pyramid?
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
John Rainbow

#99 Post by John Rainbow »

What are the thoughts on the new rat ogres? I'm not a fan at the moment. They're too steam punk for me. I didn't like the plague drones in pics though but think they're awesome in RL now I've seen them so I'm still going to wait and see. Maybe its the bright colors that does it for the rat ogres? Might be better in rusty metal?
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#100 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

John Rainbow wrote:What are the thoughts on the new rat ogres? I'm not a fan at the moment. They're too steam punk for me. I didn't like the plague drones in pics though but think they're awesome in RL now I've seen them so I'm still going to wait and see. Maybe its the bright colors that does it for the rat ogres? Might be better in rusty metal?
I'm with you on that. Space Marine came to mind the second I saw them. I'm really hoping a more skaven like paint job saves them.
Sinsigel

#101 Post by Sinsigel »

John Rainbow wrote:What are the thoughts on the new rat ogres? I'm not a fan at the moment. They're too steam punk for me. I didn't like the plague drones in pics though but think they're awesome in RL now I've seen them so I'm still going to wait and see. Maybe its the bright colors that does it for the rat ogres? Might be better in rusty metal?
Not so much impressed by their models(but I think they aren't bad), but surprised by their rules.
The ability to declare charge after arriving via 'deep strike' is something I never expected, having thought that such rule was the thing of past 40K editions.
Their ranged weapons are warpstone weapons, but those S6~7 mundane close combat attacks are very threatening.
Thank god they're rare units though.
Truthiness

#102 Post by Truthiness »

I just finished Rise of the Horned Rat (yay horrible flu giving me time to read?). If you think High Elves got it bad, it doesn't even come close what to the poor Dwarfs go through. I definitely think a Empire-Bretonnia-Dwarf merger is in the works. Great read though. I think Guy Haley does a great job with each race involved (Dwarfs, Skaven, Greenskins). Oh, and **SPOILER** Umgrim Ironfist appears to have become the incarnate of fire.

I'm curious what's going on with the Lizardmen. They are only tangentially mentioned in the novel. Anyone have the actual End Times book yet?
[url=http://warhammertruthiness.blogspot.com/]You Can't Handle the Truthiness[/url]:
The demented ramblings of a US Army officer
Shadeseraph

#103 Post by Shadeseraph »

I have most of the rules book, but it doesn't say much.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#104 Post by Prince of Spires »

Sinsigel wrote:
Not so much impressed by their models(but I think they aren't bad), but surprised by their rules.
The ability to declare charge after arriving via 'deep strike' is something I never expected, having thought that such rule was the thing of past 40K editions.
Their ranged weapons are warpstone weapons, but those S6~7 mundane close combat attacks are very threatening.
Thank god they're rare units though.
As in, they're allowed to come on the board as reinforcements and charge immediately, outside the normal turn sequence? One of those things they got rid of in 8th because it tended to break the game for some armies?

#-o

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Truthiness

#105 Post by Truthiness »

Yes and no. You put a token down at the beginning of the game. On turn 2, you roll for them to come in. On a 2+ they do, on a 1 they come in a turn 3. Then you scatter them from the token. Then yes, they can charge. It's pretty well telegraphed thanks to the token. I'm way more concerned about a unit with all ratling guns. However, they are a rare choice and cost 85 points per model. I'm not even remotely worried about them. I'd rather see 7 of these guys in any form in a 2500 point game than the usual 2 hellpits and 2 warp lightning cannons.
[url=http://warhammertruthiness.blogspot.com/]You Can't Handle the Truthiness[/url]:
The demented ramblings of a US Army officer
RE.Lee

#106 Post by RE.Lee »

I think they are a pretty balanced unit, as far as Skaven rare choice go. The flexibility of equipment is great, and at these points (42,5 SS) they're a bargain (weapon teams cost almost as much after all!), but they are a bit squishy. Also - Ld7, not that great. The combat options are interesting, but, again, they're a bit to soft to grind and only Ld 7. The tunneling option is surprising - I thought they've done away with such things.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
CaledorRises

#107 Post by CaledorRises »

I can see Lothern Sea Helms becoming very useful to turn and face the Rat Ogre charge.

My first read through of their rules looks to me like they are insanely killy using any of the weapon options, but they also seem like they are not the toughest units in the world to kill, especially since we have ASF. For other armies it could be difficult though, because they have a very high number of attacks and each attack is incredibly powerful.
John Rainbow

#108 Post by John Rainbow »

Link to Skaven pics and rules of new models:
http://imgur.com/a/9hRYX

The gatling gun style weapons look brutal! Basically a better version of a helblaster volleygun. The tunnel + charge also looks infinitely abusable. On the other hand Skaven do need some decent reliable units.
J4far

#109 Post by J4far »

So essentially the SKAVEN got something that the TOMB KINGS used to have (a good version of entombed beneath the sands, pretty much same mechanics IIRC), but that was lost completely, crushing the TK into a worse version of Vampires. Exaggeration, but charging in the magic phase and from entombed units was one of the most unique things about TK, and now they are giving it to someone else (who has enough damn special rules already).

Add to that ET:K was the only release of the 4 to not get new models, I am not a happy customer! Time to spend my money on X-wing instead of WHFB.
Ielthan

#110 Post by Ielthan »

Those stormfiend rules look brutal, if I was a skaven player I'd be retiring my helping abominations, these things brilliant. Pretty much every variant (except maybe the stone thrower) is competitive, the grinderfist rules look very nasty, but I guess if you use scouts and fast cave you can delay them (marker placed before scouts). Looks like dwarves are getting pasted beyond recognition. With the rumours of Khorne models for the 5th book (so no new models for forces of order at all...way to please the customers GW...) I wonder if there'll be some new stuff for forces of order armies for release of 9th? Will probably just be this new space marine type faction... yay...
John Rainbow

#111 Post by John Rainbow »

It seems like you can take mixed units also which is pretty rough. Grinderfists to tunnel and other weapons of choice to do the damage.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#112 Post by Aicanor »

J4far wrote:Add to that ET:K was the only release of the 4 to not get new models, I am not a happy customer! Time to spend my money on X-wing instead of WHFB.
Order received no models so far. And as Dark Elves are now also on the side of order, they couldn't get anything either. Bloody civil war! :lol:

As far as the models go, I am not a fan (with the exception of Thanquol I guess). There is something wrong with them. Even considering the fantasy aspect, the anatomy is off. Not so much in Storm Fiends, but those are too 'space ratty' for my liking. And the rules look interesting to say the least.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#113 Post by Curu Olannon »

If someone has read the book, can I have a TL;DR on the story? Mark it with SPOILERS or send by pm, please :)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
HERO

#114 Post by HERO »

Shadeseraph wrote:I have most of the rules book, but it doesn't say much.
SHARE?! :mrgreen:
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
[i]Click the banner to see my 8th Ed. High Elves Tactica![/i]
[url=http://lkhero.blogspot.com/][size=150]HERO's Gaming Blog[/size][/url]
HERO

#115 Post by HERO »

Curu Olannon wrote:If someone has read the book, can I have a TL;DR on the story? Mark it with SPOILERS or send by pm, please :)
Mark by spoilers and not by PM IMO, I really want to know too!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=45884][img]http://i.imgur.com/EvidzNv.jpg[/img][/url]
Tullarion

#116 Post by Tullarion »

Ielthan wrote:Those stormfiend rules look brutal, if I was a skaven player I'd be retiring my helping abominations, these things brilliant.
There's only one phrase in there that matters, "if I was a skaven player I'd be retiring my helping abominations."

If you make something so good, that a skaven player would swap out their abaominations to get it, it's broke. Period.
HERO

#117 Post by HERO »

Tullarion wrote:
Ielthan wrote:Those stormfiend rules look brutal, if I was a skaven player I'd be retiring my helping abominations, these things brilliant.
There's only one phrase in there that matters, "if I was a skaven player I'd be retiring my helping abominations."

If you make something so good, that a skaven player would swap out their abaominations to get it, it's broke. Period.
I don't know if I would swap an abom for these guys in all cases.
Tullarion

#118 Post by Tullarion »

HERO wrote:I don't know if I would swap an abom for these guys in all cases.
Nor would I... but any unit that would make a Skaven player think twice before taking the brokenest thing in their book would certainly smell like cheese.
RE.Lee

#119 Post by RE.Lee »

The Abomination is hardly the most broken thing in the Skaven Armybook. They used to be the in thing when they came out, but now they're often dropped for Cannons or Doomwheels (superior choices in rare) or just more Slaves (the most broken thing ;). Its much like our Frost Phoenix - still a good choice but not really a 1+.
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Aicanor
Rainbows

#120 Post by Aicanor »

What happens in ET: Thanquol by Tupavko on Warseer (also posted on Faeit in comments).
Teclis is there.

[spoiler]
I did see the book and had some chance to give it a look, so I'll try to write as much as I remember at the moment more details tomorrow:

RULES:

- 3 (i think) different formations in the new book
1 - army of Kharaz-a-Karak with specific units one must take special rules and restrictions (as in 40k)
2 - Lizardmen army with the blessing +1 WS for all skinks (it's a lame one)
3 - Skaven Army

- Warlord trait as in 40k... or something similar (I can't rememebr if it's only campaign related or general rule)

LORE:

PLACES:

Empire:
Graf Boris Todbringer leaves Middenheim in the hands of Valten and Gregor Mertak and goes after Khazrak who he blames for all the bad things happening in his lands. He finds his nemesis but falls into a trap, although he challanges Khazrak, kills him, but at the end he is torn apart by Khazrak's herd
Middenheim is under siege by a combined force of Archaon and Thanquol. Basically the Verminlords decide that Skaven are not strong enought to resist the Lord of the End Times, so Verminking sends Thanquol to speak with Archaon and make a deal. Archaon accepts and uses the skaven as a distraction and to poison the city of Middenheim. Eventually it turns out that Teclis is alive, hinding underground while performing a spell to steal the flame of Ulrik that is protecting the city against the invaders (the reason is not mantioned but it's for a greater good). Because of that the flame of Ulrik dies and people panic all around, so without protection deamons and skaven storm the city and the big fight starts... Archaon fights Valten but he gets kille by Verminlord Deciever's shurken, Gregor Mertak banishes Kayros from the mortla world but cannot resist Archaon.

Lustria:
The skaven use Morrslieb to bombard the Lizardem but thanks to the effort of the Slann mages, some of them survive, although ALL of the SLann mages are slain in the process and are basically as Lord Kroak... This guy awakens and beats death, retuns to life just to save certain areas of Lustria by creating magical orbs that lift those lands and set them into the void" (YES WELCOME BUBBLEHAMMER, POKEHAMMER, WARHAMMERBALL ). After that Kroak dies again, and the prophet of SOtek dies too... Tet'o EKo is alive, as Krok Gar (i believe). Clan pestilens is seriously comprimised...

Kharaz-a-Karak:
the battle between skaven, dwarfs and gobbos start at the EIght Peaks, with Queek falling into Skarsnik's trap, althought the Skaven arre much stronger, and Gobbla gets killed so SKasnik loses all of his will to fight... Belegar gets killed by Queek and his head is taken away. At a certain point a Verminlord takes the head to Skarsnik as a token of peace, and he gives him also a warpstone bomb to take to Zhufbar, but Skarsnik think it's a much better idea to detonate the Eight Peaks so he'll be rememebered as the true last king of the mountain and he takes his waaagh and leaves forever those lands for a new unnamed destination.
After that Ikit Claw and QUeek lay siege to Kharaz-a-Kharak, the skaven have the biggest army in the history of the Old World, they even manage to brake the gate, but at that very the skaven army gets charged by the Bugman's rangers and Ungrim's slayers... Thay kill so many skaven that the army starts to panic, so Thorgrim has the chance to get close to Queek, and so he orders his bearers to put him on the ground and challanges the Skaven Warlord... Queek accepts makes some crazy ninja moves, yet Throgrim is much more stonger than him, so he manages to catch the skaven chief and after saying some epic words breakes his neck.... The clan Mors gets buchered Ikit Claw gets killed (but it's not true), and the dwarrfs win one of the biggest vistories in their history. Clan mors is destroyed... So at the end, Ungrim leaves to go help the EMpire with an army of ONLY slayers, Bugman speaks to Throgrim, and then goes away, and Throgrim gets back to the fortress of Kharaz-a-Karak, goes to think in a secret chamber, but he gets surprised by Snitch who kills him, draws some runes in order to summon the Deceiver, in order to open the gates and let the smaller clans (underground) strorm the fortress (at least that's the plan but the story stops before the invasion)

GENERAL:
Chaos moves south, yet from the west dragon roars are herd in the empire while from the East the Ogre Kingdoms are about to arrive... Nagash moves north although he is slowed down by greenskins and dwarfs (in separate moments)

CHARACTERS:

Empire:
- Graf Boris Todbringr killed by beastmen
- Gregor Mertak killed after banishing Kaiyros
- Valten killed by a shuriken from the Deceiver

Skaven:
- Queek killed by Throgrim
- Ikit Claw killed/wounded
- Thanquol allied with Archaon

Chaos:
- Khazrak killed ina duel
- Kaiyros bannished by Gregor

Dwarfs:
- Thorgrim killed by SNitch
- Belegar killed
- Ungrim Avatar of fire

Elves:
- Teclis is alave and he stole the flame of Ulrik

Lizardmen:
- Mazdamundi dead
- Lord Kroak dead
- Prpehet of Sotek dead.

I think that's it for the moment... Some things might be slightly wrong since I read it really quickly in order to get as many infos as I could... I tried to be as precise as possible yet, I cannot guarantee that evrything is 100% true, but almost!

[/spoiler]