End Times: Thanquol!

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

John Rainbow

Re: End Times: Thanquol!

#61 Post by John Rainbow »

Sorry my internet at work is awful at the moment - I guess as its the first day back and everyone is checking emails, etc. Faeit has the links up now.

Interestingly (if it is Thanquol & Boneripper), Boneripper no longer has hands and his arms all end in weird Skaven cannon things. I don't imagine he'll be doing much bone rippin' any more!
John Rainbow

#62 Post by John Rainbow »

Brother Dimetrius

#63 Post by Brother Dimetrius »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:Found on Warseer, apparently in one of the books about Gotrek and Felix, Felix has some visions, might be or might not be what we are going to see in next ET book.

SPOILER ALERT. Text in white for those who don't want to read it, just highlight to make it visible :)

While fighting Aekold Helbrass, Felix is experiences visions what could have been, i.e. places where he could have rather been than there had fates played out differently. We see:
- Him being present at the fall of Kislev
- Him being at the Battle of Alderfen
- Him dying of plague in a Nurgle infested Altdorf
- Him & Gotrek standing at the head of the last host of the Dwarves, determined to fight to the death as Thanquol his host prepares to lay waste to the Everpeek.

Cheers!
Was me who quoted that, and judging on the info we got from the book so far the hunch was correct! :mrgreen:
Twitter : @BDimetrius
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#64 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hi Brother Dimetrius,

I read it as a quote in another post and must have missed your name, apologies for that! I am going to correct my previous post accordingly.

So, are Dwarves going to get Squated?

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

High Elves MSU - Observations
Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Brother Dimetrius

#65 Post by Brother Dimetrius »

No worries!

Speaking of which, people with any interest in the End Times should really pick up the "Kinslayer" novel. Good read, and very good background atmosphere.
Malossar
Something Cool

#66 Post by Malossar »

And GW website crashed!!!! Outstanding hahaha.
Ptolemy wrote:Im not above whoring myself for a good cause. ;)
RE.Lee

#67 Post by RE.Lee »

But they've got it back up and I managed to get the ET:Thanquol book! Missed out on the dice though...
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Brother Dimetrius

#68 Post by Brother Dimetrius »

Got the book too, but it was a stressful hour and 15 minutes #-o
Aicanor
Rainbows

#69 Post by Aicanor »

Still there, but they made them webstore only. I'll get the e-book though.
Malossar
Something Cool

#70 Post by Malossar »

I managed to get one too. Damn those dice were sweet.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#71 Post by Aicanor »

You can probably get very similar dice custom made at that price. :wink:
And there are some round bases in the background after all. By Darnok on Warseer: http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachmen ... tid=205550
Edit: And the new 'space' rat ogres.
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachmen ... 1420838864
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#72 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Edit: And the new 'space' rat ogres.
Those are not what I'd hoped for. Maybe it's just the colour choice, but it looks like a space marine.
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#73 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Hm, so ET: Thanquol is thicker book than ET: Khaine. I presume it is because they have stories about:

1. Skaven bashing Lizards
2. Skaven bashing Dwarves
3. Skaven having warpstone drinks with Archaon

I am still more jealous about this release because they also got new models and we didn't even get special dice. :roll: I am looking forward to hearing about the contents now so whoever ordered the book, please, pretty please, read it fast and post some spoilers :D

Rat Ogres are not too bad. I believe it will depend on the painting as usual. The dice may prove to be hard to read. I have seen something similar before (Skaven player used such color of course) and shiny warpstone green with dark dots didn't really work. Good for "cheating" though :-P

I noticed round bases for the war machines :cry:

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Rabidnid wrote:Are you seriously asking someone called Swordmaster of Hoeth why he has more swordmasters than white lions? Really?
Malossar
Something Cool

#74 Post by Malossar »

The more end times stuff is released... the more jealous I am that I didn't get a cool model to paint :cry:
Ielthan

#75 Post by Ielthan »

Malossar wrote:The more end times stuff is released... the more jealous I am that I didn't get a cool model to paint :cry:
Apparently all the khainite model releases for the dark elves were originally intended for the end times, but were then pushed up, which I guess may have been a better decision. The cauldron is pretty disappointing next to Nagash and Glottkin, or either of the big skaven beasties. The witch elves are nice models, but insanely expensive (I'm converting my own aeskhaine to use as them from bits), and again a bit meh next to the stuff the others are getting (monstrous units). Shadowblade was cool though. Still no new models really was GW kicking us high elf players in the nuts when we were down.
Makiwara
Chronicler

#76 Post by Makiwara »

Malossar wrote:The more end times stuff is released... the more jealous I am that I didn't get a cool model to paint :cry:
The Mortach kit makes a great treekin dragon, a bit of etched brass foliage, a bit of chopping... Just saying. :)
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#77 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Yes, I read about that earlier release. It was all about DE though, while all other ET books had some completely other type of a unit, not seen in previous army books. So even if it is true that they changed the release date it would either look silly for DE release (very few new things) or too one dimensional for ET: Khaine.

I think many of us would actually buy some big model of the Nagash, Glottkin or Verminlord size just for the sheer joy of painting one.

Btw, this is from GW website on ET: Thanquol
Alongside the stunning new model of Thanquol and Boneripper comes the most cataclysmic book of the End Times so far. Yes, Warhammer: Thanquol is bloodier than Khaine, more shocking than Glottkin and more outrageous than Nagash.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#78 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Yes, I read about that earlier release. It was all about DE though, while all other ET books had some completely other type of a unit, not seen in previous army books. So even if it is true that they changed the release date it would either look silly for DE release (very few new things) or too one dimensional for ET: Khaine.
Ja, I don't really buy that rumor at all. The other end times stuff has been new units, not replacement sculpts.

As to the bit from GW site, I guess that's better than bloodier than Nagash, more outrageous than Khaine, and more unreadable than Glottkin.
Hero of Rome

#79 Post by Hero of Rome »

As a dwarf player I can safely say that I'm both petrified and excited about this book

Oh well at least we got new Ungrim Ironfist rules.
Shadeseraph

#80 Post by Shadeseraph »

Got most of the rules book. The most interesting part is the campaign rules. They look nice, for once.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#81 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Shannar, Sealord wrote: As to the bit from GW site, I guess that's better than bloodier than Nagash, more outrageous than Khaine, and more unreadable than Glottkin.
Spoken as a true Longbeard :)
Hero of Rome wrote:As a dwarf player I can safely say that I'm both petrified and excited about this book
I am considering a visit to Bugman's and see what other Dwarven players say!
Shadeseraph wrote:Got most of the rules book. The most interesting part is the campaign rules. They look nice, for once.
Can you, please, list the names of the scenarios? That would be useful in determining which forces are described in the book. Based on the timeline in WD I presume there are some battles in Lustria but also against Empire forces with Valten.

Can't wait to hear news about the contents and I am considering buying e-book as this time it is actually cheaper.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Davariel
Chronicler

#82 Post by Davariel »

The paint job on Boneripper and those Rat Ogres is bizarre. It's like they decided to make them look as much like Space Marines as possible.

With a dirty, rusted metal scheme I think they'd look pretty good though.
Hero of Rome

#83 Post by Hero of Rome »

Swordmaster of Hoeth wrote:
Shannar, Sealord wrote: As to the bit from GW site, I guess that's better than bloodier than Nagash, more outrageous than Khaine, and more unreadable than Glottkin.
Spoken as a true Longbeard :)
Hero of Rome wrote:As a dwarf player I can safely say that I'm both petrified and excited about this book
I am considering a visit to Bugman's and see what other Dwarven players say!
Shadeseraph wrote:Got most of the rules book. The most interesting part is the campaign rules. They look nice, for once.
Can you, please, list the names of the scenarios? That would be useful in determining which forces are described in the book. Based on the timeline in WD I presume there are some battles in Lustria but also against Empire forces with Valten.

Can't wait to hear news about the contents and I am considering buying e-book as this time it is actually cheaper.
There are solid rumors that Belegar and Thorgrim are going to die although there was another rumor in that text which showed Thorgrim killing Queek Headtaker by strangling him
Shadeseraph

#84 Post by Shadeseraph »

Scenarios are:
-The Mists of Xlanhuapec
-The Breaking of the Mountains
-Disaster at Karak Kadrin
-Death from Beneath
-Ambush on the Trail of Bones
-The Battle of Karaz-a-Karaz

Narrative scenarios are the part I'm missing, so I can't tell you that much, but I've got the index :P. Someone in warseer got a map, too, which can be useful at cross referencing those.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... ost7354648
Fen wrote:So unless what i'm finding around is completly made up

[spoiler]
-Queek kills belegar
-Thorgrim kills Queek
-Snitch kills Thorgrim (with help from the verminlords/Thanquol)
-A random moulder pack master kills Skarsnik's squig after Gobbla had eaten him

[/spoiler]

Also (once again,if it's not new tell me)

found this too,around the net
Also, the book shows 5 battlescrolls (WHFB formations). These are:

-Thanquol's Uprising (Includes Thanquol, Lord Skreech Verminking and a unit of engineers called "The Lektrik coven", among other units. Seems to fight in the Empire.
-First Clawpack of Clan Mors. Includes Queek. Doesn't say against who fights.
-The Dwarf Throng of Karaz-a-Karaz. Includes Thorgrim, Bugman and Ungrim Incarnate of Fire. They are supposed to fight their last battle out of the gates of Karaz-a-Karaz.
-The Red Host. Includes Tehenhauin. No info given on who fights, it seems to be his retinue.
-The Defenders of Middenheim. Leaded by Valten and a Battle Wizard Lord called Gregor Martak. No word on their enemy, but they seem to be a group of zealots empowered by faith (guys near Valten get unbreakable, and the rest of the army Stubborn) fighting in a desperate situation in the Empire.

Edit: Hid the spoilers. A.
Last edited by Shadeseraph on Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48662]My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.[/url]
Swordmaster of Hoeth
Southern Sentinel

#85 Post by Swordmaster of Hoeth »

Looks like Ogres came in but didn't go out. Jimmy is not going to be happy.

Twitter @SwordOfHoeth

Francis

#86 Post by Francis »

I am reading the novel now, and this is realy the end. The worst moment was actually when Skarsnik was told by one of his warbosses that the greenskins flocked to him because they hoped he could protect them, and not because they wanted a new Waaagh. I think I might have deflated as much as Skarsnik did. :( . The greenskins were always a kind of last hope for me.
Shadeseraph

#87 Post by Shadeseraph »

Wow. That's... harsh.
Tullarion

#88 Post by Tullarion »

Save yourself the trouble of going to Bugman's...

They're pissed.
Shannar, Sealord
Very Helpful Elf

#89 Post by Shannar, Sealord »

Tullarion wrote:Save yourself the trouble of going to Bugman's...

They're pissed.
Can't say I blame them really. GW has brought a lot of excitement with this end times stuff. However if they don't manage to make people happy with the way they end it they might be shooting themselves in the foot long term. Which does make we wonder about the long term plans (and helps rumors which would otherwise seem impossible sound more realistic sadly).
Tullarion

#90 Post by Tullarion »

The Dwarfs are all trying to figure out what game system to use after 9th comes out and no one's willing to keep playing 8th anymore.