2d6 Alliance - 3 Man Team Tournament May 23-24

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

2d6 Alliance - 3 Man Team Tournament May 23-24

#1 Post by Curu Olannon »

I'm posting this waaay in advance so those of you wanting to take the trip (if any) can start planning right away! First, here's basically all you need to know:

What: WFHB team tournament. 3 players per team.
When: 23rd and 24th of May
Where: Oslo, Norway
Comp Pack: ETC
Duration: 3 games Saturday + 2 games Sunday (most likely)

Our gaming club, 2d6, is hosting a team tournament in roughly 6 months' time. For the first time, Alliance will be run using ETC restrictions. We anticipate a lot of people to make the trip based on the recent surge in team tournament popularity here in Scandinavia. Personally I think this will be a blast and I'm really looking forward to it. We have enough space for roughly 60-70 participants, which means a little over 20 teams will be our maximum capacity.

If anyone's interested or have any questions, feel free to contact me either here or on a PM. If you are considering to take the trip, please ask me anything as I'll be more than happy to help you out with anything I can, ranging from accomodation and practical matters to more specific details about the tournament, location or whatever.

Registration is not open yet (nor will it be for quite some time) but rest assured that I will keep this thread updated whenever necessary :)

Why should you bother taking the trip to Norway, the most expensive country in the world (next to a few others)? Well, our tournaments are basically awesome and there are always social events after the games are done on Saturday. Furthermore the playing field here is assumed to be a healthy mix of very strong and very relaxed teams so whatever you prefer, you will find here. Lastly, all the tournament regulars in this area are very nice and friendly to play against, I have yet to experience a single note-worthy issue with any of the 2d6-tournament regulars and all my games in those tournaments have been very pleasant. If the cost of travel + accomodation is what's keeping you from making the trip, let me know and I can see what we can do about it ;)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::
sparkytrypod

Re: 2d6 Alliance - 3 Man Team Tournament in June

#2 Post by sparkytrypod »

hey curu,

any cheap accommodation near the club?

I might have a team interested depending on funds. we are hoping to go to the rugby world cup, so if we are goin to go to this, we would be looking to do it cheaply!
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#3 Post by Curu Olannon »

I'll look into it :)

Furion

#4 Post by Furion »

Which airport would be the preferred one? Is Oslo Sandefjord Torp any good?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/followfurion][b]FollowFurion[/b] on youtube for in depth WFB tactics analysis (click!)[/url]
ArcaneSnow

#5 Post by ArcaneSnow »

This event sounds like a blast!
Check out my High Elves R3K Plog! It's super picture heavy though... You've been warned..
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#6 Post by Curu Olannon »

Torp is doable but not the best. It is roughly 1.5 hours to Oslo from Torp whereas both Rygge and Oslo Airport (formerly known as Gardermoen) are just 30 minutes away. RyanAir, the cheapest alternative usually, travels to both Rygge and Torp.

It will be a blast :)

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#7 Post by Curu Olannon »

Ok, I checked with the club. The usual recommendation from us is a place called Anker Hostel if price really is what is most important. It is close to the center of the city (thus not far to walk when you're done out on the town) and close to the subway so you can get to the tournament easily. I did a quick check and the cheapest alternatives seem to be around £30 per night (it's unclear whether this is per person or per room on their website). However, seeing as we don't anticipate a huge number of foreign teams to take the trip, we will try and accomodate anyone who wishes in our own homes. This of course depends on how many will actually come, but it's our first priority and best offer (in this case you will not pay anything for accomodation). Feel free to check out Anker Hostel here: http://www.ankerhostel.no/en/

If you want a decent hotel (but nothing more), I would recommend P-hotels (no English website as far as I can tell). Their standard is significantly better than a hostel. I checked it out now and for 3 people, 2 nights it's about £280 in total (yes, Norway is expensive). I'm sure alternatives in-between exist, but this should give you a rough idea :)

sparkytrypod

#8 Post by sparkytrypod »

Thanks curu, I'll take that back to the lads!
death is lighter than a feather, duty heavier than a mountain

do an rpg personality test, im from Ireland and I get...

[CENTER][url=http://www.nodiatis.com/personality.htm][img]http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/24.jpg[/img][/url][/CENTER
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#9 Post by Curu Olannon »

So, tentative date has been set. It's a little earlier than first anticipated, but bearing in mind how close the ETC warmup is it might be for the best anyways.

Unless something unexpected pops up, Alliance will be held on the 23rd and the 24th of May this year.

Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#10 Post by Curu Olannon »

Date is now official! 23rd and 24th of May.

PM or post any questions you might have :)