Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:45 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:57 pm
Posts: 21
This Asrai is embracing the new Great Season. You are welcome in Athel Loren, as is the Eternity King, and we will build better times together. I will fight for what I always fight for. My kin, my people and my glade. A few Druchii have already joined the Great Hall of Tirsyth and I expect some of the Asur to follow.

My Glade Lord will fight for the Eternity King and Alarielle. He embraces the idea of Elven reunification and has a quiet yearning for expansion. Why act as custodians for one forest when you can stand sentinel over the last remnants of the entire world?

_________________
The Eternity King wants to rebuild the Elven Empire? I call dibs on Gisoreux.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:31 am
Posts: 316
Location: Norway, Grimstad
Regarding who to follow, I would put my faith behind the Everqeen as most elves have before and have now. (however I do like Teclis more...)

If I am not mistaken(and please correct me if I am wrong on this), is the Everqueen the leader of the elves, the phoenix kings was only the commander of their the armies and tok care of the relationship with the other races. And we all know who the boss is around the house too, thats the whife :P

Cool picture Aicanor!

_________________
This is my signature, are you sure you have permission to read signatures? Yes/No


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 26, 2014 12:52 am
Posts: 23
Iluvatar wrote:
We, High Elves, have to defend the world against the Chaos Gods. But we can't do this alone, we need support from mortals - humans, dwarves, possibly Lizardmen - and even undead. And we must fight together, at the same time, or the Chaos will crush each faction one after the other.

Thus, we need to be where the action is - and that is currently the Old World.
And thus, we must swallow our lesser pride and accept to unite (temporarily?) with other Elves. Our greater pride of defenders of the world requires it.


Well said. The High Elves have always stood as the guardians of the world. The Forces of Chaos have turned their eyes to the Old World. As such, it is our duty to fight alongside the other races living in the Old World to repel them. We must forget the Sundering and put aside all of our differences if we are to ensure the survival of the world.

Malekith as the King is a necessary evil. I do not like him any more than any decent High Elf player, and I would thoroughly enjoy reading about him being killed in some creative fashion. However, sometimes evil must be fought with a different kind of evil. Serving under Malekith is a far more preferable fate than to have the Chaos Gods consume the world. Despite his faults, of which there are many, he is perhaps the only one who has the strength of will and the ruthlessness necessary to close the gap between the Elven factions. If he can provide our people with a future, and allow us to continue our sacred mission, then I will serve him faithfully.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:39 pm 
Offline
Chronicler

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:06 pm
Posts: 28
To be fair there aren't multiple factions to choose from. The Aestyrion aren't a faction, hence why other then Morathi and Lokhir, no sane characters willingly stays with it. Tyrion didn't have a faction, choosing him just meant you die or become an Aeskhaine (maybe worse than death). So the choice is illusory at best. By setting up one faction as so purely evil and wrong compared to the other the choice ceases to exist. Even moreso when we keep in mind that, unlike most evil factions, being a member of the Aestryion wouldn't even bring you personal enrichment at the expense of others (ala Dark Elves or Skaven) to justify your decision on since we are explicitly told everyone would turn into Aeskhaine. Between the two factions there exists no choice, unless as a person you wish suicide as this is the end the Aestyrion will give you no matter who you are, and there are no alternatives to these two factions since all Elves of consequence choose to support Malekith other then Morathi who chooses the suicidal Aestyrion.

End Times Khaine never really had a choice, it was made for us already. There'd need to have been compelling reasons for both sides for it to be a choice of consequence. Instead, as the book lays out, it would always have to be a matter of supporting Malekith over Tyrion. There is no compelling reason, beyond desiring suicide, for a individual to ever choose the Aestyrion over Malekith. It's a ham handed but effective literary device to forcibly change the status of protagonist or antagonist as one likes, once a side becomes surfficiently evil almost anyone can be justified by comparison. It's pretty old as literary devices go.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:07 am
Posts: 310
I didn't read every post, so forgive me if someone has already brought this up, but why is nobody talking about the children of Aenarion and the Everqueen? They had a son and daughter that went East before Malekith walked through the flames. There is always a chance that they return.

Also, why is nobody talking about the prophesy that a male sorcerer will kill Malekith? Teclis sank into the ocean. Nobody ever saw him dead. He could very well return. If they meant for this book to wrap everything up, they failed. There are still a lot of possible ways this could go.

With that said, my only beef has been with Morathi and the Khainite Dark Elves. I see it as Morathi corrupted Malekith. Before that he was pretty honorable. Once he lowered himself to become an assassin and cowardly murder the Phoenix King, I could no longer respect him. However, I do see it as he was not himself. He was under the corruption of Morathi. So, with that said, if all the Khanites are gone, and Morathi is no longer in his ear, I believe he could be Phoenix King. The only other person I see that could lay claim to the throne, over Malekith, is his half brother, the son of Aenarion and the Everqueen, who went to the East long ago. Even then, he would have to prove himself before being able to make a real argument.

I could also see Teclis coming back. If he does, I don't think he could go straight at Malekith. He would have to prove that Malekith is still evil and raise an army against him. Alternatively, Teclis could have vengeance in his heart and murder Malekith, which would make him no better and leave Ulthuan in disarray. Either way, they could have some good stories there.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:31 am
Posts: 15
I still haven't read through the whole end times: Khaine story so the elves unifying still makes little sense to me, but at the end of the day I'll follow the everqueen.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:06 pm
Posts: 349
Location: Montreal, Canada
Ulthuan is gone. Teclis is in my eyes the main reason for it. Tyrion is insane and there is no way in hell I would bow down to Malekith.
Alarielle is too weak, letting Tyrion and her daughter die like this only to marry Malekith, that is no leader.

There is nothing left to defend, the elven kingdoms are gone, most elves are dead anyways and I could not care less about the Old World.

Sailing South to the colonies, will return once Mally finally dies. [-o<

_________________
A tale of Ellyrion, cavalry army blog:
viewtopic.php?p=749457#p749457
Painting log:
viewtopic.php?p=816029#p816029
"We ride until the sun sets..."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:07 am
Posts: 1077
Aicanor wrote:
ALL HAIL OUR NEW KING!

Image


I love that picture. Bravo to whomever did the artwork!!

_________________
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:14 am 
Offline
Pendragon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:52 am
Posts: 1574
Location: Cold, miserable and expensive Finland
I look away for ONE MINUTE and the whole world has been turned on its head! What's a Druchii-hating son of Ulthuan (rest in peace) to do now that there are dark elves on both sides of the conflict? Maybe attack in both directions?

_________________
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:06 am 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6908
Location: The city of Spires
Luna Guardian wrote:
I look away for ONE MINUTE and the whole world has been turned on its head! What's a Druchii-hating son of Ulthuan (rest in peace) to do now that there are dark elves on both sides of the conflict? Maybe attack in both directions?

Come join the colonies. We've got cookies. And are still in favour of Druchii-killing...

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:31 am 
Offline
Pendragon
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:52 am
Posts: 1574
Location: Cold, miserable and expensive Finland
Prince of Spires wrote:
Luna Guardian wrote:
I look away for ONE MINUTE and the whole world has been turned on its head! What's a Druchii-hating son of Ulthuan (rest in peace) to do now that there are dark elves on both sides of the conflict? Maybe attack in both directions?

Come join the colonies. We've got cookies. And are still in favour of Druchii-killing...

Rod

That does sound like a good alternative right now. However, there are a few problems with it:
- The elves are (judging by the latest fluff) SO few in number, that unless they all consolidate in one place and bump uglies like bunnies, there is no future for the species anywhere
- As Chracians, Deral and his people are still loyal to...what exactly? Finubar is dead, the current Phoenix King is a dark elf (screw you Asuryan, you can shove your plans right up there!), the only alternative is a raging lunatic and Ulthuan us sunk (again...). The more I think about it, I just might join you at the colonies and stay loyal to the memory of Ulthuan...

_________________
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:10 pm
Posts: 721
Well, to recap:

The Host of the Eternity King (14)
Everqueen: Truthiness, Danidude, Lorthemar
Malekith: Asurion Whitestar, Iluvatar, Daeron, Shifte, D-4QP
Imrik: RogueSun, Imrik Gwindorian
Teclis: Domine Nox, Curu Olannon, Big Brother, Cetis
Druchii traitor: T.D.

The Wild Cards (4)
Hoeth: Aicanor, Karalael Moonsinger
Loec: Makiwara
Turncoats (:P): Ferny

The Ever Oposing (8)
None: Swordmaster of Hoeth, IgnobleElf, Shadeseraph
The colonies: Prince of Spires, Francis, Findolfin, Luna Guardian
Alith Anar: Count

The Undecided (4)
Wut?: Honourblade
Those that never posted their allegiance:
ajpieri
Spartoi
NCEITFOA

And no High Elf choose to follow Tyrion in his solitary fall.

_________________
My standard gaming lists - 2500 pts.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:03 pm 
Offline
Chronicler

Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:06 pm
Posts: 28
Well there's the heartache again.

Even though it goes against every ounce of rationality, sense and bloody obvious logic I have I suppose in this matter I must cave to my emotions. I wouldn't feel right letting Tyrion go down so totally alone, abandoned by Alarielle, Malhandir and Teclis.

So I guess that even if his loved ones stop caring about him at all and would rather love Malekith then I'll choose the same lonely path and go down with him. Luckily my conscious will be eased by the knowledge that we're all doomed to die anyway since the Aestyrion lost. Kind of a bummer if you chose them actually it means your faction died in the book they were introduced in. That must be some kind of record. Then again they were always the worse army. Pretty obvious who you were meant to be rooting for.

So yeah. I'll go die with the Aestyrion.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 am
Posts: 3
Begging everyone's pardon if this is thread necromancy, but seemed the most logical place to post this.

With the sacred lands of Ulthuan claimed by the sea, the House of Athanwe, its household, vassals, dependents, warriors and ships formally begs to join the City of Spires and be granted a suitable fief or the chance to carve one out under the high suzerainty of the Prince of Spires. Niemendil Athanwe, Lord of Tor Diadon and of the Isle of Galadon, son of Talandar, Companion of King Bel-Korhadris, son of Raenor the Silent, son of Calaeron the Mariner, promises to pay Homage to the Prince of Spires and to swear Fealty to him. To assist him with deed and counsel when he calls and to uphold his justice in his lands.

What says the Prince?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:22 pm 
Offline
Chronicler

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:47 am
Posts: 219
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
You're brave, even the Loecii think twice about bargaining with the sly cat know as the Prince of Spires. Cudos to your bravery, I'm sure Spires can use the extra warriors well!

:lol:

_________________
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.

Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:
Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.


Duct tape counts!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 am
Posts: 60
Location: Tor Ittelrac
Mentheus joined the aestyrion. I like to think he died fighting against Malekith's legions, as his ancestors did before him.

The books made a terrible argument for Malekith as King - we're told asurii followed him but never given any explanation as to why. The argument that Tyrion was 'worse' was laughable given that he was being compared to literally the worst despot in Elven history, Malekith.

The only motivations we know of are that it was part of Teclis' master plan, and Imrik did it because he hears voices.

_________________
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:08 pm 
Offline
Chronicler

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:47 am
Posts: 219
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
I think you may have missed the whole oppose chaos as a unified front thing which is pretty explicitly stated several times.

_________________
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.

Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:
Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.


Duct tape counts!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:27 am 
Offline
Very Helpful Elf

Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:10 am
Posts: 3777
Location: Patroling the Sea Lanes
Mentheus of Chrace wrote:
Mentheus joined the aestyrion. I like to think he died fighting against Malekith's legions, as his ancestors did before him.

The books made a terrible argument for Malekith as King - we're told asurii followed him but never given any explanation as to why. The argument that Tyrion was 'worse' was laughable given that he was being compared to literally the worst despot in Elven history, Malekith.

The only motivations we know of are that it was part of Teclis' master plan, and Imrik did it because he hears voices.


Wasn't the best of the end times books thats for sure. Nagash did the best in terms of writing about motivations and consequences. Since then it's mostly degenerated to poorly written battle scenes with little attention to the broader context.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:33 am
Posts: 40
Loremaster Avarael will lead any elf that throws off the yoke of thralldom. The old kingdoms are, or soon will be, a memory. No matter if an elf once pillaged cities wrapped in a sea dragon cloak, hunted under bough-shaded trails or stood upon alabaster battlements she would be welcome in Koruali as long as she renounces the Pretender King and Deciever Queen.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 am
Posts: 3
Makiwara wrote:
You're brave, even the Loecii think twice about bargaining with the sly cat know as the Prince of Spires. Cudos to your bravery, I'm sure Spires can use the extra warriors well!

:lol:


Aren't all Asur rather sly? And with the End Times coming it seems to me that you're either very sly and a little bit treacherous, or dead. At least with Spires as my new liege lord I get to enjoy the weather while he schemes.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:56 pm 
Offline
Auctor Aeternitatum
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:07 pm
Posts: 6908
Location: The city of Spires
Endanel_Athanwe wrote:
Begging everyone's pardon if this is thread necromancy, but seemed the most logical place to post this.

With the sacred lands of Ulthuan claimed by the sea, the House of Athanwe, its household, vassals, dependents, warriors and ships formally begs to join the City of Spires and be granted a suitable fief or the chance to carve one out under the high suzerainty of the Prince of Spires. Niemendil Athanwe, Lord of Tor Diadon and of the Isle of Galadon, son of Talandar, Companion of King Bel-Korhadris, son of Raenor the Silent, son of Calaeron the Mariner, promises to pay Homage to the Prince of Spires and to swear Fealty to him. To assist him with deed and counsel when he calls and to uphold his justice in his lands.

What says the Prince?

You are more then welcome to come and join the City of Spires. We can always use good men and ships in what was formerly known as the Colonies. Anyone who is loyal and ambitious is welcome and can help bring the City to greater height (perhaps I should think about renaming it to the country of Spires... ;) ). Would you prefer an island, a beach, or an inland fief?

Makiwara wrote:
You're brave, even the Loecii think twice about bargaining with the sly cat know as the Prince of Spires. Cudos to your bravery, I'm sure Spires can use the extra warriors well!

All of that is true of course. But besides all that, Spires is also loyal to his nobles and lets them join in the gains. Loyalty is about giving, not just about taking. If you're good for Spires, Spires is also good for you.

Rod

_________________
Eirik wrote:
Please try to remember that, no matter how 'official' the source seems, rumours are basically just a dictionary combined with a random number generator

For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:22 am
Posts: 542
Hrrrm. I thought I had posted to this the first time around. Evidently not.

Short answer: Of the various characters involved, the one I'd be inclined to go with is Caledor Dragontamer. So I guess I'm reluctantly ending up in the Eternity King camp.

Long answer: If we don't pay attention to the later instalments...

On reflection, the end result of Khaine is actually a fairly elegant case of none of the Elven kindreds getting what they thought they wanted, but each actually got what they really wanted, albeit at a steep price:

The Dark Elves thought they wanted to enslave and eradicate the High Elves... but it's a common theme in the Dark Elf lore that, while they'd never admit it even to themselves, deep down the Dark Elves hate what they've become, and their hate for the High Elves is in part due to projecting that hate onto an external enemy. If they had won the victory they'd envisioned, they would have been forced to confront this without a convenient scapegoat to project onto. What they really wanted was to be able to reintegrate into a single Elven society without being humbled in the process - and they got that. Those Dark Elves that remained loyal to Malekith were able to join back with the other Elven kindreds in a manner where it would be seen as a victory on their part rather than a surrender.

The Wood Elves had to relinquish their independence from the other kindreds, but the primary concern of the Asrai has been the defence of Athel Loren... and at the end of Khaine, Athel Loren was substantially reinforced by the might of the Druchii and Asur.

The High Elves lost Ulthuan, and had to join Malekith... but the Asur were always more concerned about limiting the threat posed by the Druchii rather than eradicating them. Because they didn't see any reasonable hope of a better option, they saw eradication as the only solution to the Dark Elf problem as being the destruction of the Dark Elves. However, what they probably wanted most of all, again, was for the Elven kindreds to be reunited, in a manner that doesn't involve them all being enslaved or murdered by the Dark Elves, and for the reunited Elven forces to be able to concentrate on fighting Chaos. And at great cost... they got that.

Spoiler wrote:
Of course, all this was rendered irrelevant when Games Workshop decided to rocks fall, everybody dies the end after all.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:47 am
Posts: 3550
Location: PA, USA
draxynnic wrote:
Hrrrm. I thought I had posted to this the first time around. Evidently not.

Short answer: Of the various characters involved, the one I'd be inclined to go with is Caledor Dragontamer. So I guess I'm reluctantly ending up in the Eternity King camp.

Long answer: If we don't pay attention to the later instalments...

On reflection, the end result of Khaine is actually a fairly elegant case of none of the Elven kindreds getting what they thought they wanted, but each actually got what they really wanted, albeit at a steep price:

The Dark Elves thought they wanted to enslave and eradicate the High Elves... but it's a common theme in the Dark Elf lore that, while they'd never admit it even to themselves, deep down the Dark Elves hate what they've become, and their hate for the High Elves is in part due to projecting that hate onto an external enemy. If they had won the victory they'd envisioned, they would have been forced to confront this without a convenient scapegoat to project onto. What they really wanted was to be able to reintegrate into a single Elven society without being humbled in the process - and they got that. Those Dark Elves that remained loyal to Malekith were able to join back with the other Elven kindreds in a manner where it would be seen as a victory on their part rather than a surrender.
I like your thinking here draxynnic.

The Wood Elves had to relinquish their independence from the other kindreds, but the primary concern of the Asrai has been the defence of Athel Loren... and at the end of Khaine, Athel Loren was substantially reinforced by the might of the Druchii and Asur.

The High Elves lost Ulthuan, and had to join Malekith... but the Asur were always more concerned about limiting the threat posed by the Druchii rather than eradicating them. Because they didn't see any reasonable hope of a better option, they saw eradication as the only solution to the Dark Elf problem as being the destruction of the Dark Elves. However, what they probably wanted most of all, again, was for the Elven kindreds to be reunited, in a manner that doesn't involve them all being enslaved or murdered by the Dark Elves, and for the reunited Elven forces to be able to concentrate on fighting Chaos. And at great cost... they got that.

Spoiler wrote:
Of course, all this was rendered irrelevant when Games Workshop decided to rocks fall, everybody dies the end after all.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 am
Posts: 60
Location: Tor Ittelrac
Makiwara wrote:
I think you may have missed the whole oppose chaos as a unified front thing which is pretty explicitly stated several times.

Stated explicitly when? Was this in the novelisation? I only read End Times: Khaine. Are you able to help me locate your evidence by providing the context or page numbers?

The decision of whether (and importantly, when) to side with Malekith is a question that would have been passionately and fiercely contested at every dinner table across Ulthuan. It was largely omitted from ET: Khaine.

The united front against Chaos argument for Malekith is particularly hilarious.
* Malekith (about a decade ago) led a Chaos invasion of Ulthuan and was defeated by Tyrion.
* Tyrion (about a decade ago) led a defence against a Chaos invasion of Ulthuan and was victorious against Malekith.
* Malekith just fled a Chaos invasion of his homeland.
* Tyrion just defeated a Chaos invasion of his homeland.
* Caledor refused to join Tyrion's united front against Chaos. Remember that? The first act of the book was Tyrion cleansing daemonspawn from Ulthuan while Imrik sat at home and sulked.
* Caledor was the first asurii kingdom to side with Malekith.

Who is best qualified to lead a united front against Chaos?

Spoiler: Archaon wrote:
Hey, maybe if Tyrion, Avatar of Khaine was at the final battle it might have ended better. Maybe the End Times are exactly the time you need Aenarion's heir wielding the Widowmaker? It's not like it didn't work the last time!


It's also odd that it's taken as a given that the High Elves and Dark Elves need to unite politically instead of just fighting together against Chaos. It's also odd that Chaos makes no move towards the Elves even when they're tearing each other apart - which would have been the ideal time to strike.

I also dislike the false dilemma they ram down our throats later ("Tyrion is just as bad as Malekith! He executed Korhil and he was mean as well!"). Are there literally no other candidates for the Phoenix Crown? Just the worst despot in Elven history and a descendent of Aenarion wielding Aenarion's weapon during The End Times?

EDIT: Just tidying up Spoiler tag

_________________
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:56 am 
Offline
Chronicler

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:47 am
Posts: 219
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Mentheus of Chrace wrote:
Makiwara wrote:
I think you may have missed the whole oppose chaos as a unified front thing which is pretty explicitly stated several times.

Stated explicitly when? Was this in the novelisation? I only read End Times: Khaine. Are you able to help me locate your evidence by providing the context or page numbers?


Yes. At a very quick glance, pg 70 in the dialogue between Tyrion and Teclis, pg 77 right before Malekith steps in the flames, others may have been in the novel, and there may have been others in the main book, but those two I found at a thirty second flick through.

_________________
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.

Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:
Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.


Duct tape counts!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:34 am
Posts: 3
Prince of Spires wrote:
Endanel_Athanwe wrote:
Begging everyone's pardon if this is thread necromancy, but seemed the most logical place to post this.

With the sacred lands of Ulthuan claimed by the sea, the House of Athanwe, its household, vassals, dependents, warriors and ships formally begs to join the City of Spires and be granted a suitable fief or the chance to carve one out under the high suzerainty of the Prince of Spires. Niemendil Athanwe, Lord of Tor Diadon and of the Isle of Galadon, son of Talandar, Companion of King Bel-Korhadris, son of Raenor the Silent, son of Calaeron the Mariner, promises to pay Homage to the Prince of Spires and to swear Fealty to him. To assist him with deed and counsel when he calls and to uphold his justice in his lands.

What says the Prince?

You are more then welcome to come and join the City of Spires. We can always use good men and ships in what was formerly known as the Colonies. Anyone who is loyal and ambitious is welcome and can help bring the City to greater height (perhaps I should think about renaming it to the country of Spires... ;) ). Would you prefer an island, a beach, or an inland fief?

Makiwara wrote:
You're brave, even the Loecii think twice about bargaining with the sly cat know as the Prince of Spires. Cudos to your bravery, I'm sure Spires can use the extra warriors well!

All of that is true of course. But besides all that, Spires is also loyal to his nobles and lets them join in the gains. Loyalty is about giving, not just about taking. If you're good for Spires, Spires is also good for you.

Rod


I'll take a coastal fief, if that is alright with you, although with the world blown to bits it all seems a bit irrelevant. I'm working on the fluff and will post when finished.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 am
Posts: 60
Location: Tor Ittelrac
Makiwara wrote:
Mentheus of Chrace wrote:
Makiwara wrote:
I think you may have missed the whole oppose chaos as a unified front thing which is pretty explicitly stated several times.

Stated explicitly when? Was this in the novelisation? I only read End Times: Khaine. Are you able to help me locate your evidence by providing the context or page numbers?
Yes. At a very quick glance, pg 70 in the dialogue between Tyrion and Teclis, pg 77 right before Malekith steps in the flames, others may have been in the novel, and there may have been others in the main book, but those two I found at a thirty second flick through.
By that point we had been forced to decide.

Had Malekith landed and Asuryan bothered to make his preference clear before blood was shed, it may have been a different outcome.

Instead, turning Caledor against their kin, then marching for the Widowmaker made it clear Malekith had but one ambition, the same he had ever held - the throne for himself no matter the cost of elven lives.

Vague warnings of prophecy (I will quote the entirety of Teclis' argument to Tyrion: "You cannot kill him. If you do, our people are doomed." ) ring hollow against that.

:)

_________________
White Lion * Aestyrion * Griffon Knight

Malekith stepped down from his throne and loomed over the mage. ‘You have always intended for Tyrion to draw the Widowmaker.’
Teclis nodded, defiant. 'By drawing again His sword, the curse of Khaine will be lifted from our line.'


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:34 am 
Offline
Chronicler

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:47 am
Posts: 219
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Except that you are then missing all of the times that unity against Chaos as it regards Malekith, or more importantly the view of Malekith as King by certain Asur, is implied earlier in the book; this is a literary tool to not give the plot away to early. You're meant to read it being explicitly stated later on and suddenly understand what Teclis and Imrik were talking about much earlier in the book for instance. They want you to do the mental arithmetic so to speak.

If they out and out say; hey we're going to make Malekith the Phoenix King because he is the only one who can hold the elves unified against Chaos on page 5, the twists and turns of the plot that are meant to draw you in throughout the whole story and make you enjoy it become redundant and people will be up in arms about the plot being on a railroad.

Look, I understand your dislike of Malekith as King of the High Elves and, though it pales compared to the rest of my misgivings with the End Times story as a whole, I more or less agree with you; your stating that the book doesn't give a reason for Malekith being King isn't correct. I think you're missing things in the story that are important that are meant to create shock and depth and become clear as the story progresses, though maybe had the story as a whole been better or more interesting that wouldn't have happened, so really it's down to the author I suppose.

_________________
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.

Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:
Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.


Duct tape counts!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:11 am
Posts: 3416
Location: Univeristy of Glasgow
Quote:
Whom do you serve?


Saaaaruuuumaaaaaaaaan

_________________
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:33 pm
Posts: 849
Location: Executing operation Ramesesis Reactionary Reviving
I serve whoever gets us out of this mess.

_________________
ImageImage
Vaul´s Volatile Vicar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SeuPZoi2GE


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group