New to Warhammer Fantasy...Need Advice

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Kimahri

New to Warhammer Fantasy...Need Advice

#1 Post by Kimahri »

Hey all,

Like the subject says I am new to Fantasy. I play 40k (Tyranids and Eldar), but now want to make the leap into fantasy. I have been trying for over a year to convince my girlfriend to play 40k with me to no avail. We stopped by a game store the other day so I could pick up some stuff for my Eldar. Well long story short my GF looks at a Wood Elves book and falls in love. So I bought it for her along with some Sisters of the Thorn. I spent the next few days looking over the various armies in fantasy to see what I like. And I'm sold on the High Elves. A few questions for y'all 1.) I'd like to get some more Wood Elves for the GF and have no idea where to start with that 2.) I dont have the High Elves army book yet as I live in the boonies and my nearest game store is 60 miles away, so I know very little about them other than some of their fluff (and that I think they look cool). I plan to pick it up this weekend but would also like to pick up some models at the same time so we can get gaming quickly, so I need some suggestions for that. 3.) I've seen the starter box that has the High Elves in it. Would that be a good idea to grab? I dont know anyone else who plays fantasy let alone a Skaven player...so I guess I would be stuck with those?

Anyways I appreciate the help and I look forward to learning more!

Thank you!
John Rainbow

Re: New to Warhammer Fantasy...Need Advice

#2 Post by John Rainbow »

Hey Kimahri! Welcome to the forum. Its good to see some new players joining in and you have some really valid questions.

If you are both set on playing with Elves the IoB (Island of Blood) might work for you but as you say you don't need the Skaven models or templates/dice. Instead you can always pick up the High Elves part of IoB off of eBay for relatively cheap along with a rulebook - what I did a few years ago. This is probably a good idea as the IoB High Elf set is a really good and useful start to an army and it lets you play in all parts of the game.

As for the Woodies, I'm not too sure on any of the bundles that are on the GW site as they all tend to be for a lot of models which you might not want at this stage. I would maybe think about having a look on eBay (again) for someone selling off a bunch of them. If you are both learning the game I would try and find something from each 'slot' in the armybook so that you can each participate in each phase of the game. For instance you both want a wizard for magic and some 'shooty' components as well as some combat troops. A big monster like a treeman could also be fun to play around with whilst you learn the game.

Either way you just need to concentrate on playing some fun games and learning the rules or doing some of the hobby side for enjoyment. I imagine your girlfriend is not as into the whole thing as you are (at the moment) given that she's taken some convincing so making sure she has a good time playing and just enjoys the experience is a key to keeping her (and anyone else you want to introduce to the hobby) playing the game. Maybe just pick some units you both like the look of to start with and see where that takes you without even worrying about points, etc?
Kimahri

#3 Post by Kimahri »

Thanks for the reply!

I'm really looking forward to getting her more into the hobby! It looks like I'm going to try to find some used stuff online and fill in the gaps where needed with new models.

I want to buy the big rulebook (i bought the interactive version for 40k, and while it is nice i just feel like something is missing), but with the rumors of a new edition I'm not sure buying one right now is worth it. So I'll make do with the little paperback one for now.

I'm seeing that fantasy is pretty different from 40k in terms of gameplay and movement. Is the learning curve pretty steep coming from 40k to fantasy?
John Rainbow

#4 Post by John Rainbow »

I wouldn't say so. I play both and get on fine. A lot of the general mechanics are the same and if anything the new edition of 40k is more fantasy-esque than before. A large number of the dice tables are the same too i.e. BS4 hits on 3s, etc. I think you'll be fine.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#5 Post by Prince of Spires »

As for the new edition, I don't expect that on a very short term. Not for another year at least (note, I have no actual information about it at all, this is just piecing together other stuff). Right now, we are seeing the release of a supplement for Warhammer, called "The End Times" (there's a few topic about it on the forum here). The supplement is rumoured to be 4 books in total, released over the next few months. This supplement should give many players their warhammer fix and add some variation into the mix.

I don't think GW would release another big change soon after that, which might then turn the whole thing upside down again. Also, gamers can only spend their money once. If they've all bought the new supplement for $200-$400 (including models etc), then many wont have spare cash to spend on a new WH edition.

So I think most rumours that were pointing to a new edition this fall actually took the supplement for the new edition.

As for the Island of Blood set (the starter box), it's a pretty decent deal when you are starting out. But if, as you say, you have no way of unloading the skaven part and don't really need the dice then the value drops a fair bit. But with the BRB, a mage and a unit of reavers in there (the universally useful stuff in it), you still come out ahead. The swordmasters in the box are useful in some army lists. The griffon prince is more a fluff choice (though a great model). The lorthern sea guard unit is too small to be really useful I would say.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Casazzo

#6 Post by Casazzo »

TBH, i do not think, that the IoB-Set is such a great deal. Sure, you can always use the 5 reavers, some(!) of the swordmasters and the foot-mage, but the lothern sea guard and the prince aren't so usefull later on, imho.

They (the SMs) are great(!) models, though. and they fit very well into almost all regiments, if you want to bolster(proxy) up your numbers for other regiments, you want to try. I went this way. I bought me a package of white Lions and one package of phönixguard when i started and bolstered their numbers with my lot of SMs just for experimental play. (I bought two elfen parts of the iob at ebay.)

Additionally, the SMs are a very evil form of "chaff". You get 5 for only 65 points ... but (put your deity here) have merci with other chaff attacking them ...
And they are fun to paint, too.

I am happy to have done it this way, but nowadays i would only buy the reavers and some swordmasters at ebay. That saves you enough money for your first phönix :-)
Kimahri

#7 Post by Kimahri »

Well it's good to know that a new edition may be a year or so off. I guess I will continue to look on ebay for models (looks like everyone agrees on reavers so i'll probably start there.)
Kimahri

#8 Post by Kimahri »

Hey all, hate to revive an old thread. Just wanted to update you on what I ended up getting. So life got crazy (new job, new city, had my appendix removed, etc), so ive been away from the hobby for a few months. However, before this absence I was able to pick up the HE contents of two IoB starter sets for 70US. Figured that was too good of a deal to pass. Unfortunately, immediately after that is when everything went bonkers so I havent even had a chance yet to play with them. I really like the look of the models and how they rank up. Kinda wish I got into fantasy first instead of 40k. So my question now would be where to next? I like the look of the shadow warriors so I will probably pick up a box of them before they get pulled off shelves. (Im going to assume you will be able to continue to use current models in the new game, or if not I can always play 8th)

Anyways, thanks again for all your help.
John Rainbow

#9 Post by John Rainbow »

If you like Shadow Warriors then go for it! I would also look at bulking up some of the units or getting something with a little more punch and combat threat to add to your IoB stuff. eBay can be a good place to look right now as no one knows what is happening with WFB so you can get some really good deals if you look around. Of course you might then end up with some unusable stuff depending on what happens...
Kimahri

#10 Post by Kimahri »

Ive been keeping my eye on a few things online. Even if they arent supported in the new game they are still nice models and will look nice in my display case.
teep

#11 Post by teep »

As for the lovely.shadow warrior models, just get a box, come up with a unit filler and bam - you got yourself some mean looking archers :)
John Rainbow

#12 Post by John Rainbow »

teep wrote:As for the lovely.shadow warrior models, just get a box, come up with a unit filler and bam - you got yourself some mean looking archers :)
Great idea. The models are totally boss too!
Andrew_uk

#13 Post by Andrew_uk »

Wood Elves and High Elves eh? You two have certainly picked the two most beautiful armies in the game.

It sounds like all of your games will be against each other though? I mean if you're 60 miles from a gaming community then who else will you play? So with that in mind maybe you could go for an army that's a bit more different and then share both? Like chaos/OnG/Skaven/Vampires...

Also I'd suggest not playing the latest rules. I hate what 8th is and I get the impression nobody really expects much from 9th. If you're both playing only each other then using an older edition isn't a problem, you could pick the old books up very cheaply on eBay.
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log
Kimahri

#14 Post by Kimahri »

Well since writing the original post we have moved to a town that has more people than it does cows...lol. I work in a town that has a game store with a decent crowd for fantasy, and live about 30 miles away from another store with another good crowd. Its roughly the same distance to each store, so i shouldnt have a problem finding games.

Ill look into the older editions. Which ones do you suggest?
Andrew_uk

#15 Post by Andrew_uk »

Ahhh fair enough - I was suggesting the older editions on the basis that you might be playing only against each other. If you're playing against a wider base of players then chances are that people will want to play the latest edition no matter how bad it is :(
Bring me my bow of burning gold, bring me my arrows of desire, bring me my spear O' Clouds unfold, bring me my chariot of FIRE!

Check out my rather slow caledor themed painting log and my dragon project... also my faster moving nurgle themed Warriors of Chaos themed painting log