Terrain Generator App

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

lost user 4

Terrain Generator App

#1 Post by lost user 4 »

Hello everyone,

I have recently made an app called “Wargame Terrain Generator” that I think others will find useful with their Warhammer battles. It is only available on the Google Play store at the moment, but if there is interest I may bring it to other app stores. Below is a quick description of the app.

Are you tired of playing your tabletop wargame on the same old boards that are inevitably created by each player alternately setting up pieces of terrain wherever they choose?

The Wargame Terrain Generator aims to fix this by creating random placements for terrain that will create unique boards that players can't purposely design to get a tactical advantage. This app was designed with Warhammer: Fantasy in mind, but can be extrapolated to work with other tabletop gaming systems.

You can learn more and download your copy here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nGenerator

An iOS version is currently in development, so apple users just need to be patient until I can release it.

Be sure to share it with your friends if you find it useful :)
Nicene

Re: Terrain Generator App

#2 Post by Nicene »

Amazing idea! I will try this if you finish the iOS version. . . or maybe I'll "borrow" my fiancee's samsung
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Bolt Thrower

#3 Post by Bolt Thrower »

I would totally use this for iOS. One of my pet peeves is when you roll up an interesting piece of terrain and my opponent just puts it way over in the corner where it will never impact the game.

Is there a way to remove certain options from the "terrain pool"? For example, my group always rerolls snake eyes and boxcars when rolling up terrain.
Battle Standard Bearer. Don't leave home without it.
Bolt Thrower's High Elves
lost user 4

#4 Post by lost user 4 »

Yes in the options you can specify the odds of each piece and you also have the option to limit the amount of each type. So say you only have one piece of hill terrain you can set the maximum amount of hills that will show on the battlefield when you generate it. In your specific case you could remove those options completely if you so wish.
Danidude

#5 Post by Danidude »

It looks like an cool app, going to test it out at my gaming club :)

Edit: an thought, have a setting for each senario in the rulebook that uses a terrain piece? Watchtower, Storm of Magic and T&T games?
This is my signature, are you sure you have permission to read signatures? Yes/No
Nicene

#6 Post by Nicene »

We tried it out; it works great for us. Need iOS though!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Foxbat

#7 Post by Foxbat »

Hey, for those with a BlackBerry running BB10.2, you can get the app from 1Mobile app store. Worked fine on my Z10.
lost user 4

#8 Post by lost user 4 »

Foxbat wrote:Hey, for those with a BlackBerry running BB10.2, you can get the app from 1Mobile app store. Worked fine on my Z10.
That is great to hear! Thanks for letting everyone know about that.
Bolt Thrower

#9 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Any update on iOS plans for this? I could easily see myself using this in the same way as battlescribe--where I tested with the free version, but then upgraded to the pro version after I decided it worked for me.
lost user 4

#10 Post by lost user 4 »

An ios version is planned but has no set release date. To develop for ios you require a mac computer, which I do not own. I am working on it and will let everyone know when I am able to release it for all the ios users.
Bolt Thrower

#11 Post by Bolt Thrower »

virusgames wrote:An ios version is planned but has no set release date. To develop for ios you require a mac computer, which I do not own. I am working on it and will let everyone know when I am able to release it for all the ios users.
I know it is a lot of work, time, and probably $. I just wanted you to know that there continues to be interest if you were considering monetizing it! I will now be patient.
Terrain Generator

#12 Post by Terrain Generator »

Hello everyone this is "lost user 4", it seems like my account was lost in the update that happened here a little while ago.

At any rate I have some good news for the Apple iOS users out there. The Wargame Terrain Generator is now available on the app store!

Search for it on the app store or follow the link below to get it:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wargame ... ?ls=1&mt=8

As before, feedback is very welcome.
Bolt Thrower

#13 Post by Bolt Thrower »

Downloaded! And quickly played through several settings. Initial impressions are that I found it really simple to use. Was able to completely remove some options from showing up at all which was ideal. Also being able to adjust the "columns and rows" is very nice as it can allow you to get very specific terrain placement.

Hope to test it in setting up a game next weekend!
Terrain Generator

#14 Post by Terrain Generator »

For those interested in knowing, the 2nd version of the Wargame Terrain Generator is now available on Google Play for android devices.

(If it is not showing up for you please check back later to give the app time to propagate over the Google servers)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nGenerator

Like before, feedback is welcome.