From which province does your Army/Character hail?

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

From which province does your army/character hail?

Avelorn
8%
Ellyrion
4%
Caledor
18%
Eataine
6%
Saphery
16%
Yvresse
8%
Cothique
7%
Chrace
13%
Nagarythe
9%
Tiranoc
4%
Colonies
9%

Total votes: 341

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

Re: From which province does your Army/Character hail?

#61 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Makes sense, and you'll have a Mage Knight in charge? Very nice!
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
The Silly Dragon

#62 Post by The Silly Dragon »

South East Avelorn nearer the mountains. This explains the colour scheme on my army (being green, red, brown, gold, silver mainly). Also my lists mainly have White Lions and Swormasters and my Archmage 'Altatar' from nearby Saphery. Also i sometimes do an alliance list with 1000pts each High Elves and Wood Elves so Avelorn explains why there are Forest Spirits.

Edit: I don't know why Vampires keep appearing in the middle of Ulthuan... :?
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Quarak

#63 Post by Quarak »

Ok here's a question I know that all Dragon riding Princes hail from Caledor... but is it at all possible for one not to? Fluff wise I mean.

I ask because 1) the Dragon mages say that almost all are from Caledor, but the Princes have no such loophole. 2) Princes look so much better with axes then with swords and how can one wield a giant axe and not claim Chrace as their homeland. 3) I want to model a prince with an awesome WL cloak as he dives out of the clouds atop his magnificent dragon... and the WL fluff/models are awesome!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#64 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Dragons can be found everywhere, or they used to, they are pretty rare now.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Quarak

#65 Post by Quarak »

In the Codex it says they are only in Caledor any more :?
The Silly Dragon

#66 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Quarak wrote:In the Codex it says they are only in Caledor any more :?
I think you answered your own question there... =D>

Warhammer is a game where you can make it all your own. Don't like the fluff of the Phoenix Kings? Only have the Everqueen! Or neither and have your own! Are we dieing? NO! We very new to the world and yet to expand etc etc etc. In my world (warhammer fluff) Tyrion and Teclis don't even exist! And Malekith is dead! (Morathi going mental at us hence why they still hate us and still fight alot).

So you want a Dragon from Chrace? Do it! Its your army (personally i prefer the swords as the axes look too unweildly, but hey thats my opinion).
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#67 Post by Prince of Spires »

Actually, it's only the dragons that all come from Caledor.

Every elf is allowed to try and wake a dragon. They go to the Caledorian mountains and sing the songs of awakening to a dragon. It's just that in most cases the dragons wake for a caledorian since they share the same fiery roots as the dragons. But that doesn't mean that noone else can try.

Besides, given how few dragons are around, I think that they will welcome anyone who can wake a dragon.

I would be more worried about other chracians than about caledorians I think. Caledorians adopt a "you're on a dragon so you're one of us policy". While chracians will probably wonder why on earth you want to be on a dragon instead of on your own two feet.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Ringîl

#68 Post by Ringîl »

My army hails from southern Tiranoc, themed around a city of my own invention Tor Ilyria. (Which in fluff is the new capitol of Tiranoc seeing as Tor Anroc is labled sunken :lol: ) Yes, I even have a proper Chariot mounted Mage-knight as my illustrious leader^^
The archmage however hails from Chrace and my dragon mage is of course a Caledorian, thus I get to have a little for everything =P

Actually I hope to slap my fluff and some pictures up in a little painting log once I get some pictures taken.

Ohh and also, hello everyone. (Seeing as I am a long time lurker I am unsure if I can be called a new guy... but ahh well)
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#69 Post by SpellArcher »

Welcome!

Always good to see another chariot prince. Nice name by the way, the sword of Fingolfin?
Ringîl

#70 Post by Ringîl »

Thank you. And indeed it is his sword. I am a horrible Lord of the Rings nerd as I expect a lot of people are here. :P
Since it is such a nice name I stole it for my Prince as well.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#71 Post by SpellArcher »

It's a brilliant name. All my names are lifted but from varied sources because the characters just suggested things to me as I modelled them.

There are some great names for weapons. Obviously Ringil (wounded Morgoth didn't it?), Glamdring ('Foe-hammer', love it!). Maybe it's the Viking influence. I've got a great book with a chapter about Hardrada's last battle and the champion who held the bridge against Wessex. It names his axe 'Bear's Kiss', great name! I'd loved to know where the author got this from!
Ringîl

#72 Post by Ringîl »

What I love about using tolkeins elvish is that the names usually have a translatable meaning, like Ringîl which means cold star.
I usually make my character names for fantasy by grabing a suitable dictionary (LOTR elven one for example) and just combining parts until I find a list of cool names to use^^ For my empire army I just found a list of common german names etc =P

Bear's kiss I have never heard off... but it is a sweet name! Though names with big scary animals usually sound pretty cool.
Talifan

#73 Post by Talifan »

Due to my main colour being a home made blue with other blues and some red for trim, I had to go with Saphery. I have 4 mages, Teclis included and I also have a very large unit of Sword Masters. My force could also be called a "Melting pot" of Provinces as I have a large force of Dragon Princes and 2 Dragons, A decent unit of White Lions and a Hero with Lion Cloak...Its kinda hard to say where it comes from, but Mostly Saphery.
[color=#FF0080]Live and Fight with Honour, for We are the Most Noble[/color]
[color=#0000FF]2012 Games - (W/L/D) 49-1-0[/color]
[img]http://mawhammer.yolasite.com/resources/Gem1.JPG[/img]
Lord Whitestar's Leviathan Company Champion.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38785]Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000297179244]Facebook for Talifan[/url]
[quote="Aicanor"]Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch.[/quote]
Karalael Moonsinger
Chronicler

#74 Post by Karalael Moonsinger »

The main part of my army is from Saphery, boasting 5 mages plus Teclis (for special occasions) led by my general, Karalael Moonsinger, with a small contingent of Chracians led by his half-sister Niamh Liontamer.
[quote="rdghuizing"]
Besides, the battle of Finuval Plain was more a minor skirmish anyway. A good enough summary would have been "Teclis and Malekith ran into each other. Teclis cast The Dwellers Below on Malekith with IF, and Malekith failed his Strength test." Not much more to it then that really.[/quote]
Talifan

#75 Post by Talifan »

I guess I should update the amount of mages I have now...I am up to 6 mages total with Teclis, and 60 Sword Masters, sop definitely from Saphery
[color=#FF0080]Live and Fight with Honour, for We are the Most Noble[/color]
[color=#0000FF]2012 Games - (W/L/D) 49-1-0[/color]
[img]http://mawhammer.yolasite.com/resources/Gem1.JPG[/img]
Lord Whitestar's Leviathan Company Champion.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38785]Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000297179244]Facebook for Talifan[/url]
[quote="Aicanor"]Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch.[/quote]
whatawittyname

#76 Post by whatawittyname »

My lot are from Caledor because.....well, why would you want to be from anywhere else? Dragons, people!

High Elves were my first every fantasy army and I've had every incarnation of Dragon Prince and High Elf Dragon rider since 1990.

The Caledor fluff says that the original Dragon Princes were warrior-mages, so when I used to take my full army (12,000 points in the old days) I had a lord on an emperor dragon with the Talisman of Hoeth and a unit of 25 Dragon Princes.......some day, I hope, they'll make a glorious return.

I very nearly started an army of Cothique, but I just couldn't stay away from Caledor.
Prince Asarion

#77 Post by Prince Asarion »

Mine are from Caledor, led by Prince Asarion.

Prince Asarion is right in the middle of the prime of his life. Or would be at almost 1000 years old. Descended down some of the most noble Caledorian lineages, he was tasked with travelling to the depths of Lustria to help stop a Chaos incursion and prevent the Druchii getting their hands on a particular magical artifact.

However, due to the slow methods of the Lizardmen who refused to ally to deal with the Druchii, in the strictest terms possible, they came to blows, the mighty arm of Asarion swinging again and again. Time and time again, his blows were reflected off the powerful Slaan's magic and the Saurus bodyguard lashed into his body. Dying, the Archmage worked the Winds of Magic, bringing Asarion back to life, again he fought, before being laid low, again and again this repeated, until his sword pierced the enchantments surrounding the Slann, slaying the toad.

Freed from killing the Slaan, he rampaged through the remainder of the Lizardman forces, driven upon completing his mission. Repulsing the Druchii from the artifact, and guiding High Elves into battle against a Bloodthirster and sending the demon back to the depths of the Realms of Chaos, he slew the powerful Sorcerer that had summoned it. Taking his relatively small force back to Ulthuan, the artifact being delivered to the White Tower, he was inspected, the repeated use of High Magic to bring him back to life tying him ever deeper to the Winds of Magic.

Declared to be uncorrupted by Chaos, he's a fear-inspiring figure when he dons his garb for war, even more so than most elves, ever since his repeated resurrections, his eyes pierce the gloom of the world with witch-sight, almost glowing with streams of magical fire slowly rising from them. Residing in Caledor most of the time, when Asarion goes to war, he is either upon one of the noble Caledorian breed for a quick and vicious fight, or in times of dire need, he walks into the caves where his friend and ally Caranalamarth, the Star Dragon sleeps, awakening him.
Check out my [url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40192]c/b/plog[/url]

[size=85][i][color=#0000FF]Army - L ~ D ~ V ~ SV - Year[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 0 ~ 8 - 2012[/color][/i][/size]
[size=85][i][color=#BF4000]HE --- 0 ~ 0 ~ 1 ~ 0 - 2013[/color][/i][/size]
Yvran the Prince

#78 Post by Yvran the Prince »

Not sure where mine is from, as my Prince is the child of a Caledorian father and an Avelornian mother. He went to Saphery to learn magic, but all but lost his magical abilities in a sorcerous duel with a Dark Elf during a storm of magic. He went to Cothique to become a sailor and travel the world, and currently guards one of the Dragon Isles with his Cothiquan crew and a bunch of grumpy Dragon princes.
"If you spend your whole time thinking about the universe, you tend to forget the less important bits of it. Like your pants."

"Dojo! What is Rule One?"
"Do not act incautiously when confronting little bald wrinkly smiling men!"

-[i]Terry Pratchett[/i]
Arch Mage

#79 Post by Arch Mage »

I chose saphery before I checked the votes, there are to reasons for why I chose saphery, one they have mages, two they have sword masters.

Now I think that all the provinces are pretty cool, I mean I really like ellyrion, and I often use the reaver knights... But they don't have sword masters....

I wish we had generic skirmishers since that would make my force pretty cool, they could be wardens of the maze...

The magic system of the game doesn't quite suit my idea of magic, but hey! It's better than Harry potter!

So my back ground:
My force is led by an unnamed arch Mage, he is simply know as the Mage by his fellows and peers. Deep in the darkest realms of thoughts, he rules the world of power. Possessing a gentle grip the Mage is skilful in all the arts of the mind, it is said by many that he could force a man to hurl himself off a cliff. Willingly and without any form of question, others say that he could never commit so callous an act in this both are probably right.

As the winds of winter had slid across the waters of the world, ever so slowly crawling and creeping towards the island paradise of Ulthuan, the Mage awakened for the second time. He had been asleep for a century, a remmanet of a past battle, the invidious creature that was never present but always there; the pain of the explosion was almost a constant.

the Mage had been part of a giant expedition to the lands of naggaroth, that was where he had miscasted. The battle had been a victory for the druchii, but it was a pyrrhic one.

The swirling pains of the loss of his power was ever present, he had once been able to cast spells from all eight Lores of magic in the same battle, well all except the silly spells like oaks mind shaver? Yes that was the spell, it had always eluded him but that had never bothered him. In these battle he found 5 spells from one lore to be an exemplary performance, it saddened him to think about, very much so.

So that's my arch Mage :D (its a real pith that there isn't the 7th level :P)
[color=#4000FF]The Arch Mage of light and true magic[/color]

600 trolls and climbing! :mrgreen:
[color=#FF0000]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=40633&p=775432#p775432]if you are drowning out there as a beginner, I hope this helps.[/url][/color]

[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=40964&p=778044#p778044]my army lists[/url]
siovim

#80 Post by siovim »

My army is a joined coalition between Cothique and Chrace.

Varlur Greataxe, senior commander of the White Lions and carrier of the Lion Banner, and his old friend Marand Greenwood, mage and quite eccentric hermit, have gathered an army of Chracian levies and are marching to aid their Cothiquan brethren in the recent raids and attacks, and possibly expeditions across the world further hence. On the way trough the rough lands of Chrace and Cothique travelers and small bands of warriors have joined. Among them have several Swordmasters laid aside their quests to deal with the new incursion, bands of Mountain Wardens (Ellyrian Reavers) on their small and swift steeds are scouting ahead, and several have caught glimpses of movement in the trees, but none can say if it's friend or foe. The body of a mountain chimera killed by arrows through the eyes have lead to the speculations, that the legendary archers of the Glade Watch (Shadow Warriors) are protecting the army.

Leading the Cothiquan defence is the stormmage Handir Windborn and High Helm Aranthir Hawkflight. The recent raids have forced most of the inhabitants inside the few walled cities and holdfasts in Cothique, and here several fierce battles have been fought. At the costs and on then seas the valiant Cost Guards (Lothern Seaguards) are performing swift hit-and-run attacks on the marauders, sowing confusion and fear among them. Aiding them are the Giant Seahawks (Giant Eagles), who live among the cliffs of this land. Very few escape their attention unscattered. From further inland Aranthir is leading his Silver Helms and Proud Lances (Dragon Princes) in series of devastating charges on the enemies camps, raiding over-land supply trains and hunting down small bands of intruders. A Tiranocci warrior suggested that chariots could be very useful along the beaches, smashing up the small bands of intruders. The first few chariots have been used to great succes, and Aranthir have ordered several more Cothiquan Chariots (Tiranoc Chariots) to be build.

Among the few who have refused to leave the countryside, are the companies of Silent Watch (Phoenix Guards). They are steadfastly guarding the sanctuaries and shrines they are sworn to protect, and it seems that in theese dificult times, the patrons of the shrines seem to bestow their guardians with miraculous gifts, allowing a few of the Watch to hold out against several their times of foes. More often than not, it's enough for the raiders to look at the watchmens eyes, to know that their end has come.

With the arrival of the Chracians, Handir hopes to put an end to the raiding and planes to resettle his family ancient seat of Tol Yldis, on North Coast of Bretonnia. The Greataxe has sworn to help the Cothiquans, and his Orders from the Phoenix King are to keep an eye out for Handir expedition, so he is looking forward to many months even years of fighting, both at home and in the old world.

This is my example of an amry :D purely home bred, and very few others than the inhabitants of the wild north of Ulthuan. The Chracian and nomadic elements of the army will be basecoated in green, while the Cothiquan and citybased fractions will be basecoated in light blue. Hope this sound the faintest bit realistic, cause i'm really a huge fan of the hardy people of the mountains and the seas, and who's better here than the elves of north Ulthuan ?? (also making a Chracian army without White Lions is quite funny)
Luna Guardian
Pendragon

#81 Post by Luna Guardian »

That actually sounds like a very interesting idea for an army, and I like the backstory too :)
Prince Deral Lionbane, head of the House of Lionbane, Lord of Lionstone and Warden of Tor Charta

Luna, try not to beat them too hard. They are proud about their pseudo-glorious past and their present nothingness, you know.
-Elmoth, about Caledorians
Gizmos

#82 Post by Gizmos »

For the colonies. Mine hail from the citadel of dusk.
Aerius

#83 Post by Aerius »

My Prince hails from Caledor. My love of dragons just dragged me towards this, and I love the Prince on Dragon model and plan to use him as my general all the time! I plan to include Lothern Sea Guard as well. The IoB models just look beautiful!
siovim

#84 Post by siovim »

@Luna Guardian

Thanks for the comment :) My first conversion is Varlur Greataxe and i'm quite pleased how he looks. Not many BSB's have a giant banner strapped to their backs,a giant axe and a lion pelt across his shoulders :D but as with many armies the colour scheme is wishful. Currently about 70% of my forces are painted and only 25% fit the intended colour scheme. I play far more than i paint, so that leaves a halfpainted army with no uniting colours.... but when it comes that far, the army will look great
Armilthuan

#85 Post by Armilthuan »

It was so hard to choose with this poll. My character hails from Eataine with most of his army, but they are situated and patrol endlessly around the Tower of the Rising Sun.

I eventually went with Eataine the province most to my heart.
Coradon Lorelian

#86 Post by Coradon Lorelian »

Caledor- Why because i love the dragon prince models and the mounted prince. Also when people see Dragons they think Caledor.
Signature
slug

#87 Post by slug »

I love White Lions and Lion Chariots, hence my selection of Chrace, although Hoeth through SM's and mages also get a reasonably significant look in.

Slug
Calathean

#88 Post by Calathean »

I have always been a massive fan of The Elves of Nagarythe and their eternal was with the Druchii (it also helps that my best mate is a Dark Elf player and I do so enjoy tearing apart the traitorous filth on a regular basis.)

However with the coming of the new book and the beautiful new models for Shadow Warriors it is time to remodel.
So without the fluff to support it in detail yet here it is.

The Eternal War in my eyes between Druchii and the elves of the Shadowlands would not simply end when the lands of Ulthuan do, in my eyes the relentless Shadow Warriors would stalk the Dark Elves wherever they travelled and as such would go to one of the Druchii's most common raiding regions, Lustria.

The idea is for the new Shadow Warrior models to make up the bulk of my core detachment painted either in their traditional greys or possibly even closer to a Wood Elf khaki. Followed by a detachement of Sea Guard who who brought them to this land on the Eagle Ship Caradriel's Pride The Shadow Warriors often found in my lists will then be complemented/converted using Corsairs and their dragon cloaks to represent the scaly hides taken from the cold blooded beasts that inhabit the realm.

In light of this also I am going to have a contingient of Chracian White Lions not endentured into the service of their king, taking the opportunity to put their hunting skills to the ultimate test against some of the massive beasts found in the jungles of that mystical place.
Calathean

#89 Post by Calathean »

Coradon Lorelian wrote:Caledor- Why because i love the dragon prince models and the mounted prince. Also when people see Dragons they think Caledor.
Also when people see dragon's and they don't have war marchines they think "new underpants" too :D
Lorinel

#90 Post by Lorinel »

I gave my vote to Eataine but I was torn between Eataine and Ellyrion. If I had to choose now with ER in core I'd have to go with Ellyrion. It was one of my favourite provinces in Warhammer Online.