Introduction topic

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Kousei

Re: Introduction topic

#91 Post by Kousei »

Thanks for the welcome . I like the evil, wild and noble thing :D, I think I might add that to my signature. But I think I might change the evil to tragic, to match my Tomb Kings instead of my vampire counts.
As for the progression thread;I think I will make one for the modeling/painting and one for the army list and tactics. of course I am going to play more then one army list ever,so there will be more then one thread.
L5R:
Phoenix Clan
Scorpion Clan

Warhammer fantasy:
High Elves:
Tomb Kings:

40k:
Eldar

Fantasy/40k:
Nurgle Daemons - Not ready at all.

Star Trek Attack Wing:
Dominion
Romulan
MaxieTPB

#92 Post by MaxieTPB »

Hello Everyone!

I just found this place yesterday, but you all seem very friendly and inviting. :) Call me Max, I'm just getting back into WFB after a 10-year break! It's only proper that I build a new army of my beloved High Elves. Unfortunately all I have left of my 5th Edition stuff is the Army Book, Eltharion, and Imrik - plus I don't know what boxes they are packed in anymore!

So anyway, please prepare yourselves for a lot of questions as I get into 8th Edition. The only thing I'm sure about my new army is I want lots of cavalry, which is traditional for me!

Well met, and I'll see you all around!
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#93 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

With Cavalry not as effective as last edition it's not easy but can still be fun, check out some of the thread in the tactics and army lists sections there are a couple of cav heavy lists that have had success.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Xenock

#94 Post by Xenock »

Hi.... I'm Xenock...

I've been into the hobby for a while, just barely gamed. And the rare time I did, it was 40k. And within the past few months, I just got back into the hobby after a break. I'm taking a stab at getting into Warhammer Fantasy, so here I am. And I've decided to do High Elves, and the Island of Blood was something I couldn't resist. So I plan on taking full advantage of the units included in there. Then I'll throw in Dragons, as they are one of the greatest creatures in fantasy lore. I plan on converting my own Dragon guard, and using Dragons as counts as Great Eagles. So it should be lots of fun. Even if I don't know everything I'm getting into. I'll have fun none the less!
Mads

#95 Post by Mads »

Hey all, I have been reading this forum for a while, and finally decided to sign up in order to get some thoughts on my army that I am touching up, and because you seem like a nice bunch :)

I am not that much of a gamer (so far!!) as I am just getting back into the hobby, and I wasn't very old when I "left". Hopefully that'll change as me and my friends have decided to give it a go this time! :D
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#96 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Hhmm... Dragon Guard, someone may have beaten you to that, do a search in the painting and modeling section.
Have fun with it Mads, it's a game and a hobby.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Laicamir

#97 Post by Laicamir »

Hello :)
[color=#400080]'What errand have you, Dark Elf, in my lands?' - Curufin[/color]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#98 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Another Queenslander, hell we'll be running this place soon!
Syleth

#99 Post by Syleth »

Hello everybody!

I'm an Asur general from spain, been playing HE since 5ed came out. I've been recently taking a look at some of the threads of this forum, found them really interesting and decided to join the community. I'll try to offer some of my insights as well as learn from all the discussions in here.
dan the man

#100 Post by dan the man »

Hi All,
Long time reader first time poster. I have always been interested in playing/collecting warhammer for quite some time and about 18 months agow a mate of mine decided to get into the hobby and so now i had the perfect excuse to get into it myself so i started collecting high elves. Have done a fair bit of collecting since then and not enough painting/playing. I have only had the chance to play 2 games so far with mixed results loosing a 500 pt game badly then a minor victory at 1000 pts sunday just past ( flames of the pheonix won the day). These games have given me a thirst for more and my mate and i have decided to try and get regular games on sundays so i hope to be playing alot more. Anyhow thats enough of a rant from me i hope to be a valuable member of the asur community.
LightedDark

#101 Post by LightedDark »

Hello,

I'm new here and new to Fantasy. However I do play 40k. I have some friends who play fantasy I thought I might try it out.

As for why High Elves, long version is too to post here. Short version they were on the short list of armies that interested me

Thank for having me and I hope we both enjoy the exchange
[color=blue]Great minds think alike,[/color] and fools hardly differ, [color=green]which are we?[/color]
malandres

#102 Post by malandres »

hi there,i may aswell say im new to WFB as i havent played since 4th ed!
i have fallen for high elves all over again and im pretty much decided on an army from saphery!
any handy hints and help will be much appreciated, i think this biggest thing to get used to will be the army list composition now with percentages instead of number limits.
Side effects may include: dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, water retention, painful rectal itch, hallucination, dementia, psychosis, coma, death, and halitosis. Magic is not for everyone. Consult your doctor before use.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#103 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Mages and Sword Masters, Saphery is such an easy theme ^_^
malandres

#104 Post by malandres »

haha i know that saphery isnt the hardest theme but i just love the idea of magic being blasted around the place and warrior poets/monks cutting down everyone in their way.
obviously i have to have the regulation core so it looks like archers and spearmen (i think that sea guard are over rated and pricey)
Side effects may include: dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, water retention, painful rectal itch, hallucination, dementia, psychosis, coma, death, and halitosis. Magic is not for everyone. Consult your doctor before use.
Teledor

#105 Post by Teledor »

Hi all,

Restarting WFB after a 15 years off.. played for a short time when I was much younger. I was HE's last time so I went with what I knew (also I love movement and cavalry tactics). Anyways, shooting for an army from Caledor (original I know). My friend and I bought the IoB and he took the skaven, so for now that's who I'll playing against the rats the most. I think there is league in San Diego, so hopefully I'll be able to get some other opponents. As I get going I'll start posting as I get more experience with the 8th edition and more battles under my belt. I'm shooting for getting a working 3,000 point list going, but the painting is painfully slow.

Teledor
LoreSeeker

#106 Post by LoreSeeker »

Hiya everybody!

I've been lurking on here for a bit now and I've decided to join. I've been playing WHFB since 5th edition, and back then I had started with WoC. Then I came across the High Elves and simply fell in love with the army, the fluff and the feel of them. I've played with them through the 6th and 7th edition until now, even if not that often and always in a friendly and non competitive environment. In the last couple years I became more involved with Warhammer, both hobby-wise and game-wise, and even though lately it hasn't evolved in a completely positive way (in my opinion, of course) it remains one of my greatest interests and passions.

I hope I'll have a good time here on the forum; I think I should also point out that I'm not an English native speaker, so please forgive any grammar/spelling/other mistakes I could make (and, why not, point them out so I can learn something new :wink: )

Cheers,
LS
Lagast

#107 Post by Lagast »

Hello,

I'm Lagast, I live in Belgium and I am a new HE player..
I have played warhammer about 7 years ago for a few months with a friend. I was owner of a small Tomb Kings army. He had a huge Dwarven army.
It was not a succes.
Now we are planning on starting again. I'm really looking forward playing warhammer. I am reading the new rulebook (which I didn't do the first time we played), also reading this forum, articles on the internet and much more containing info on High Elves.

I bought a 2K HE army by internet and am preparing it now for my first battle. (Cleaning, basecoating but not painting)
I will play most of the time against a dwarven army. Which will be though obviously. Other enemies will be Dark Elves and small point games vs Tomb Kings, Bretonnia and maybe some Orcs. We will start at a 1000 points battle, I gues.

I hope to contribute on the forum with my own battle report, army lists, ect.
But for now I need to learn more about warhammer and HE!

Greets,
Lagast
Hatshepsut

#108 Post by Hatshepsut »

Hi! I´m Hatshepsut from Spain. I have dark elves and high elves, of course!!
Ulthuan.net is a great web and has a great forum!
Valeli

#109 Post by Valeli »

Hey all. I'm not entirely new around here, there was a point when I was on a lot a few years back.

After a leave of absence I've come back to my High Elves though. By default, somewhat. I was thinking of starting up a new army, but prices have risen so much in the last few years that I ended up deciding it wouldn't be very responsible of me to pay for a whole new list unnecessarily when I already have the good basics of one - especially when I like High Elves in general (I've had lots of various 40k/fantasy lists come and then go on e-bay to pay for the next project, but my elves have been around forever. I have a very few from back in 4th ed still.) I'm not a big fan of their frailty, or their problems with core units/archery. But I love the look and feel.

Last time I played I made pretty competitive lists.

This time, I think I'm going to run a seaguard theme that might not be particularly competitive, and then simply play it as competitively as I can for better or worse. I know at least /some/ people here have had luck with seaguard, so we'll see what I can do. I always wanted them, and it's a shame i didn't give in sooner.

It'll be a bit difficult since the elves I have now are painted in caledor-ish colors (the ones that are painted... "fortunately" I never got around to painting many, despite having them for years). It's also getting a bit awkward mix-matching models from various editions (old PG models in a unit with the new ones, etc). But oh well.

I don't know if I'll post much. I won't be able to get in many games because of life/location/other things, and will probably end up largely focused on painting with maybe one game a month... or even one every two months. I might start up a little blog on the painting forum to help keep up my interest (not to show off for sure... my painting isn't impressive by any means). That seems like it could be fun if I'm not going to get many games.

Anyways, hi all~
SeanG

#110 Post by SeanG »

Hey all! I made the mistake of posting in off topic but apparently they don't play anymore, so i'll post it here:

i'm new to the forums and to warhammer in general. I have been collecting high elves and have a bunch of random assorted high elf units. I now want to get into playing the actual game, so i figured i could learn a bit from here! :D

-Sean
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#111 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome to Ulthuan. Don't mind the guys in the off topic forum. They're a bunch of grumpy old men ;)

Good luck with your High Elf adventures. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

A few pointers around the forum.

- Rules question can be asked in the rules forum. Please use the search option to look for similar questions. It prevents you from getting smart-ass answers from people who answered the same question a few times already.
- Check out the army list section. Not just for army lists, but there are some great army blogs in there. These are blogs that follow the list development of the players army and they include battle reports, tactics discussions etc. The most famous is by a guy name Seredain. He is a bit of a celebrity and his blog runs into 800 something posts. But there are several others well worth a read.
-We love seeing any and all pictures you can give us of your army. Feel free to leave them in the painting and modeling section

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Enomiel

#112 Post by Enomiel »

Hello everyone, I've used to read this forum a lot in search for answers and idea and often found myself with a comment on some topic, so I thought "what the hell" why not registering and bring my stone to this building of enlightenment.

So here I am to discuss on our dear Asur and if my English seems strange here and now it's certainly due to French being my native tongue so my apologies in advance for my mistakes.

I've played a long time ago in the 6th edition and have only being back to WHBF and its 8th since the last summer. For budget reason the high elves are my only army so be sure that I give it my al. I hope I can help you as much as this forum is helping me so see you all in the other topics.
Prince Imrik

#113 Post by Prince Imrik »

Hello everybody!
My name is Prince Imrik.
My english isn't really good, because i'm dutch and still young.
Prince of Spires
Auctor Aeternitatum

#114 Post by Prince of Spires »

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry too much about your english. A lot of people on here don't have english as their first language, and even those that do don't always make sense ;)

There are a few dutch people around (like me), so if you're having trouble with understanding etc you could always send me a pm.

Rod
For Nagarythe: Come to the dark side.
PS: Bring cookies!

Check out my plog
Painting progress, done/in progress/in box: 167/33/91

Check my writing blog for stories on the Prince of Spires and other pieces of fiction.
Wyatt

#115 Post by Wyatt »

Hi guys, here is one more newbie for this platform. For me this forum sounds really interesting as have seen some really informative threads, which were worth reading. Think you guys are just amazing with the facts and the experience you share here…hope will have a good time here.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#116 Post by Aicanor »

About a year ago I woke from a particularly nightmarish dream to find myself being in command of our Island of Blood garrison. Being an old RPG player, it didn't surprise me that much, but it was... interesting. The knowledge collected on this forum helped me a lot to survive my time there so I can return to say thanks :wink:.
nashole

#117 Post by nashole »

Hello all, Ive been lurking for a while taking in all the great info and have decided to join. I havent been playing WHF for very long (had my first game last week), but am injoying it. I started 40K about a year ago and play orks, but some guys at the LGS got me into fantasy, so here i am. A little about my self, I have been in the Coast Guard for 10 years now and am currently stationed in CT. I look forward to talking and getting to know every one!
The Silly Dragon

#118 Post by The Silly Dragon »

Hey peeps. At first didn't think you had an introduction topic then found it here (really off-topic i thouight not here but hey not my place to judge).

errr...what to say? I been playing Warhammer for about 6 years but its been off and on as money comes and goes you know? First army were Wood Elves and had a fair amount of success with them. The last 2 years been trying High Elves and sometimes regretting spending so much on them. Tried Deamons of Chaos but don't like fluff (got to be a 'good' army everytime). Got hold of the Empire book to see about a side project but hated the armies reliance on war machines so gave that up before buying any models.

Main opponent is Vampire Counts which i have alot of trouble with (especially their new book). Joined this site to get help finding a weakness to them or an advantage to us i could use. Sometimes play against Tomb Kings and Deamons (so don't expect me to know what a pursuit roll is :P ).

Haven't been in any Tornaments though someday would love to enter one. I live in the South East of England. What else is there to say? well...i do hate washing machines. :twisted:

SDETT ~old mabits die hard it seems.
[b]War. War never changes [/b]
[i]dum spiro, spero...[/i]
[b]"Humans are strange creatures, in a world of such fascination and wonder they have managed to invent boredom"[/b]
brimar

#119 Post by brimar »

I havent been by for maybee 3 or 4 years now. Its really great to see everyone thriving. I had been playing High Elves soo much and loved painting or creating cool heros that I wound up with a beautifuly turned out and absolutely massive High Elf army. Maybe too much, life gave me a few serious twists and have not been able to even think selfishly since. Seeing this again actually lifts me up and makes me want to dust off my thinking cap. Anyway, Nice to see everyone still keeping the flame. Brimar
My army pictures http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b165/Allyion/
and my website http://brianswarhammer.com
Ehetleos

#120 Post by Ehetleos »

Hello everyone!
I am a looong time roamer, and I recently started collecting and painting High elves (for real this time, :lol: after many years of getting in and out of the hobby) so I was thinking it would be nice to share my High Elf madness with you guys that like them as much as i do, a thing that is really hard to find in my local gaming group :P . So, Nice to meet ya!