The Order of the Mage Knights

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Csjarrat

Re: The Order of the Mage Knights - Submit your builds

#151 Post by Csjarrat »

Lol, i think all the _barbed_ steeds on here probably rock so much they dont need the rgoh. Having that many hooks and spikes on them theyll just tear through a unit :-)
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#152 Post by Elithmar »

Csjarrat wrote:Lol, i think all the _barbed_ steeds on here probably rock so much they dont need the rgoh. Having that many hooks and spikes on them theyll just tear through a unit :-)
Unfortunately, this isn't in the rulebook. It would make sense though.

+1 S & +1 T is pretty handy on HE. Try it on reavers. Use vanguard to get them closer to the foe and then charge in turn 1. Then you cast Wyssan's on them and your opponent groans!
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Csjarrat

#153 Post by Csjarrat »

Hehe, sorry i was being a grammar nazi. A barb is a hook, so a barbed steed (as many people spell is on here) would be a horse with lots of hooks on it! A barded steed is one with armour on it :-)
an interesting variation on my usual playstyle, which is 'charge forward, forward for the love of khaine, we can fight better than any of them and they can't shoot into melee why is our armor so thin ohgodcannons'
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#154 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

HHmm... I'm a big fan of Reavers, but never thought to use my Mage Knight to cast Wyssan's on anything but his unit, I may have to give this a go.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#155 Post by Elithmar »

Tiralya wrote:HHmm... I'm a big fan of Reavers, but never thought to use my Mage Knight to cast Wyssan's on anything but his unit, I may have to give this a go.
Go ahead! I'd love to hear how it works out. I've never actually used it, but in theory it works. To be honest, it's not necessary to have a mage knight at all, but just a mage, possibly mounted. Cheaper, too.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#156 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

My most common Mage Knight build is my BSB on barded steed with RGoH and charmed shield. I use him in games right up to 2500 points, at 2000 I have a second mage but I like him kitted out for magic defence and High Magic, I might play around with some numbers and see if I can give him a barded steed and beasts.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Csjarrat

#157 Post by Csjarrat »

Elithmar of Lothern wrote:To be honest, it's not necessary to have a mage knight at all, but just a mage, possibly mounted. Cheaper, too.
i've tried this, with an armchmage on barded steed with vambraces. it meant he was 5+rr/4++ put still died due the amount of attacks allocated to him. admittedly it was against orcs who were S5 due to choppa etc etc which rendered the 5+rr useless.
putting mages in the line of combat is a bad idea, even with ws10 from fencers blades, he'll go down in a round unless buffed with life.
thats why the mage knight is a better idea, because he can actually fight and has access to better static saves.

if the mage on horse were to run around solo, i could see it working better as he can simply flee from everyone and get within range of what he wants to cast. against anyone with sniper rules/templates/cannons/massed BS fire this is a bad idea too.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#158 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yea after playing around in army builder I'd have to run the mounted Mage in my Silver Helm bus with my BSB, and two characters in one unit is never a good idea unless your BSB is waving a magic flag. My 2500 point army list has a DP hammer as well as the Silver Helm bus, but no matter where he goes he's going to cop it sweet when they hit combat, and he's far too squishy. I will try changing targets for Wyssan's though, and my Reavers would be far more dangerous if they were charging that Dorf cannon on turn one with S5 rather than the S4 they have with those spears. Thanks for the idea Elithmar.
Csjarrat

#159 Post by Csjarrat »

btw, played a 3 game tourny with the ultimate in mage knights: Eltharion on stormwing. worked a treat!! :-)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#160 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

He's a legend! I need to get my Griffon Prince fixed so I can use him as Eltharion on Stormwing.
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#161 Post by Elithmar »

Csjarrat wrote:
Elithmar of Lothern wrote:To be honest, it's not necessary to have a mage knight at all, but just a mage, possibly mounted. Cheaper, too.
i've tried this, with an armchmage on barded steed with vambraces. it meant he was 5+rr/4++ put still died due the amount of attacks allocated to him. admittedly it was against orcs who were S5 due to choppa etc etc which rendered the 5+rr useless.
putting mages in the line of combat is a bad idea, even with ws10 from fencers blades, he'll go down in a round unless buffed with life.
thats why the mage knight is a better idea, because he can actually fight and has access to better static saves.

if the mage on horse were to run around solo, i could see it working better as he can simply flee from everyone and get within range of what he wants to cast. against anyone with sniper rules/templates/cannons/massed BS fire this is a bad idea too.
To defend the mage from certain DOOOOOOOM!!!, one could just put him/her (though I don't think High Elves have as many female mages as other elves) in a unit of PG of spears. Of course, this is the kind of idea that leads to the army being there just to protect a character. Anyway, if he dies, 'tis only 100 points.
Tiralya wrote:Thanks for the idea Elithmar.
You're very much welcome! :)
Tristram Hepburn

#162 Post by Tristram Hepburn »

Hi all,

I would like your advice on Mage Knights in this special case. I'm running a series of linked games for a mate and myself and the first two games are very small affairs, 500 - 1000 pts, the first one using the Warbands rules. Now, warbands restricts your characters to a max of 150 pts, all included. For that you could get

Noble
RGOH (lore of fire probably)
HA
Magic Shield
Total 144.

Now he would have an 3+ AS, but not much else in terms of defence. Do you think it's worth it? He would only have one spell and would be the only spell caster in the warband, so all the opponents dispel dice would be used on stopping his one spell and if he succeeds that would effectively end my magic phase as I can only try to cast the spell once even if it is a signature spell, right?

So noble sirs of the Guild of Mage Knights, give me your opinion, is it worth it?
Eirik

#163 Post by Eirik »

If no one else in the warband is using magic, and that's your only magic, then no, it probably won't work. For the reasons you listed.

You could try talking with the GM (is there a gm in warbands?) to get the number of magic dice or the dispel rules changed. The only other option you would have is going for a miscast, which you don't want on your character.
Ah, Floorhammer. A time honored tradition. Sadly, I no longer play since my brother tripped and right-angled the spears of a 15-man regiment.
-Original Dragon Prince, July 2011
Brian Mage

#164 Post by Brian Mage »

Guild member updates are on the way.
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#165 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Tristram Hepburn wrote:Hi all,

I would like your advice on Mage Knights in this special case. I'm running a series of linked games for a mate and myself and the first two games are very small affairs, 500 - 1000 pts, the first one using the Warbands rules. Now, warbands restricts your characters to a max of 150 pts, all included. For that you could get

Noble
RGOH (lore of fire probably)
HA
Magic Shield
Total 144.

Now he would have an 3+ AS, but not much else in terms of defence. Do you think it's worth it? He would only have one spell and would be the only spell caster in the warband, so all the opponents dispel dice would be used on stopping his one spell and if he succeeds that would effectively end my magic phase as I can only try to cast the spell once even if it is a signature spell, right?

So noble sirs of the Guild of Mage Knights, give me your opinion, is it worth it?
Nobles can only have 50 points in magic items so I'm assuming that Magic shield is actually the Charmed Shield not the Enchanted Shield, in that case he's rolling with a 4+ AS, pretty dangerous, especially if your spells going to get dispelled every turn.
Csjarrat

#166 Post by Csjarrat »

well no he wouldnt, because he's a mage _knight_. hence he'd be on a barded steed. by my maths thats a 2+ save with the ability to block the first hit from the magic shield.
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#167 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

HaHaHa I didn't see Barded Steed, and Mage Knight simply means a lord or noble carrying the Radiant Gem of Hoeth in my book, there is no need to mount him on a horse to claim his title ^_^
RE.Lee

#168 Post by RE.Lee »

Lord, Star Dragon
Two-handed weapon, AoC, Guardian Phoenix, RGoH, Silver Wand
Lore of Death

I use death mostly for the Leech - good mobility means I'm usually in range of something worth killing, high leadership gives good effects. The wand allows me to try something different from time to time - I hope on getting Soulblight or Doom and Darkness as the second spell, Purple Sun is OK, but hard to cast on a Level 1 mage :wink: Attacking skills are good (killed over 1k points today), protection is so so - I try to occupy things that might kill it with the rest of my army (eagles and DP's work well) but it does tend to end up either dead or badly wounded (both dragon and rider were down to 1 wound today).

My tactics are usually a variation of "refused flank", and the dragon spearheads my assault. The rest of the 3k list has a lvl 2 mage and BoS for magic, not much but I manage to get a spell through each turn. Works fine :D
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Telabir

#169 Post by Telabir »

Out of interest, what's the term for a female Mage Knight?
~High Magic Lore Master of the Mage Knight Guild~

That said, Elves, being civilized, obviously have English accents.
~Milliardo~

#170 Post by ~Milliardo~ »

Mage Knight not gender neutral enough for ya? :3

Nice to see you again, R.E. Lee. Where ya been? Playing other armies? :3
RE.Lee

#171 Post by RE.Lee »

Playing other armies? Never! A little bit of Skaven maybe... :wink:

Me and an old friend of mine have just graduated from med school and celebrated with a brutal campaign of High Elves vs Lizardmen. :twisted: Used the dragon mounted Mage Knight twice, first time I wasn't decisive enough and failed to make an impact with him, the second battle saw the Lizardmen wiped out and I only lost two eagles (this was 3k). I dropped him afterwards to give the archmage a chance :wink:

Anyway, I bought some classic minis - old archer champion, 5th ed full-metal dragon, maiden guard, hopefully I'll finally have the time to paint some of them :wink:

Good to be back on the site, cheers! :D

RE.Lee MD
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Sethai Ithilvarden

#172 Post by Sethai Ithilvarden »

Hi! First post! I'm thinking of starting a high elf cavalry army, as I currently play Skaven, and the huge, unwieldy, SLOW blocks sometimes get on my nerves. :D Yes I'm very capricious. I first looked at Seredain's Silver Helm bus, and followed that with a good look round the site. During this tour, I noticed a link to this thread in someone's sig (Can't remember who's :P) Anywho, this struck my interest, and looked at how I might be able to link this in with Seredain's 2k list. (Flaming swords for the win!) I thought that maybe a life Knight of the Wind might tie in well, being able to put up a regen save (or something else) on the unit every turn, while simultaeneously healing the big Prince. Copy-Pasting the list here with edits including: Names and Lores, gives:
2000 point Cavalry Prince List

Prince - Minaith Ithilvarden - Barded Steed, Dragon Armour, Shield, Giant Blade, Helm of Fortune, Talisman of Loec - 281
Battle Standard Bearer - Sethai Ithilvarden - Barded Steed, Lance, Dragon Armour, Shield, Radiant Gem, Luckstone, Lore of Life - 188
Lvl 1 Mage - Menlui Ithilvarden - Lore of Shadow, Dispel Scroll, Dragonbane Gem - 125

30 Spearelves- Full Command, Gleaming Pennant - 300
18 Archers, Musician - 203

12 Swordmasters- Bladelord - 192
10 White Lions- Guardian, Standard, Banner of Eternal Flame - 184
8 Silver Helms- Musician, Shields - 192
1 Tiranoc Chariot - 85

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers - 200
1 Eagle - 50

2000 points
Anyhoo, any chance of me being able to join this fabled order?
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#173 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

I like the list! Not a lot of magic, but enough there for defence. Maybe give the Bladelord or Guardian a bound item?
Csjarrat

#174 Post by Csjarrat »

I would definitely try and find the points for a lvl2 upgrade. Dispelling at +3 and the extra spell are totally worth the upgrade. Life is an odd choice for such a low level caster, given that the sig is easily countered by flaming attacks and means your mage is vulnerable. High would be better for the ward and drain magic.
Sethai Ithilvarden

#175 Post by Sethai Ithilvarden »

Csjarrat wrote:I would definitely try and find the points for a lvl2 upgrade. Dispelling at +3 and the extra spell are totally worth the upgrade. Life is an odd choice for such a low level caster, given that the sig is easily countered by flaming attacks and means your mage is vulnerable. High would be better for the ward and drain magic.
Life I mainly chose for the lore attribute, and I thought Flaming Attacks would be mitigated by the Dragon Armour. High is tempting, but I need the heals from the lore attribute. The chance of regrowth is good too. As for the level 2, I will have a look at it, seems worthwhile. Maybe drop two Swordmasters and the Bladelord upgrade?... That would give me 7 points.... Great Weapon on my Knight of the Silver Flame. 3 more points left... any ideas?
Brian Mage

Re: The Order of the Mage Knights - Going Global!

#176 Post by Brian Mage »

Ha! - Was over in Athel Loren and someone had posted a breakdown of the HE army and its uses/applications/weaknesses - It was actually quite good, However i would like to point out the following
Asrai.net wrote
- Radiant Gem of Hoeth makes a Prince or a Noble a lvl 1 High Elf Wizard. These are refered to by the HE community as Mage-Knights.
It appears the build is truely note worthy now!

p.s. if anyone is missing from the Guild List, please let me know
[color=#FF0000][url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]The Order of the Mage Knights[/url][/color]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31665]My Painting Blog - High Elf Storm Troopers & Tree Hugging Hippies[/url]

It's the Schrodinger's Cat of rules. Until the FAQ, the interpretation can be inferred as both true and false correctly
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#177 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Famous, or should I say infamous =P
Siegfried VII

#178 Post by Siegfried VII »

Tiralya wrote:Famous, or should I say infamous =P
As long as they spell our guild's name correctly. :lol:
My Art Blog: [url=http://valleysofeternity.blogspot.com/]Valleys of Eternity[/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/mageknightbannersmall.jpg/][img]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4098/mageknightbannersmall.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]
Nicene

#179 Post by Nicene »

My last battle, my entire magic phase consisted of Eltharion on Stormwing, a Dragon Mage, and a Radiant Noble of the Fiery Winds! They all took fire, naturally.

lords 490
*eltharion* 490 L2 fire
stormwing

heroes 577
dragon mage upgrade, dusk 400 L2 fire

noble bsb, gs, ha, rgoh, lb 177 L1 fire

core 632
26 Archers FC, Flaming 321

26 Archers FC 311

special 801
13 swordmasters bladelord, loec 217

14 swordmasters bladelord 222

14 swordmasters bladelord 222

lion chariot 140

I did run out of PD pretty quickly, though; next time I'll work a BoS in there somehow.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61399]my MSU army list/battle reports[/url]

[quote="Nyeave"]Omg it's a parrot chariot - a parriot... :D[/quote]
Siegfried VII

#180 Post by Siegfried VII »

Indeed, if you want to take advantage of a powerful magic phase the Banner of Sorcery is essential.
My Art Blog: [url=http://valleysofeternity.blogspot.com/]Valleys of Eternity[/url]
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/825/mageknightbannersmall.jpg/][img]http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/4098/mageknightbannersmall.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32214]Mage Knight Guild[/url]