First Post and Where To Start

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Taviel

First Post and Where To Start

#1 Post by Taviel »

Hello, folks! I'm new here (surprise!) and I'm new to Warhammer Fantasy. Before I go dropping my not-so-hard-earned money, I wanted to ask a few basic questions. So, here we go...

I've been playing 40k for about three years now (Tau) and frankly have been getting my butt kicked for quite a while. Now a few friends are starting up a 250 point fantasy escalation game and I want to get involved. Naturally, I don't want start an army with a steep learning curve and at the same time, I'd like to stay away from horde armies. I'm thinking High Elves, but I'm not sure. Is there a better army for a starting player? What units would you take to fill that first 250 points?

Many thanks in advance!

Taviel
Ictoagn

#2 Post by Ictoagn »

Hi, welcome (maybe) to the wonderful race we call the High Elves. They learning curve is...interesting. Small mistakes tend to be more forgiving, mostly due to always strike first. However, with High Elves, you have an elite army in which everyone has the armour and toughness of a horde. You will very rarely lose just one elf, and with how expensive they are, that will always hurt.

As for the 250, what rules are you using? The normal rules don't work very well at points that low, you would be lucky to afford a second unit,.
Taviel

#3 Post by Taviel »

Thank you, Ictoagn. Not knowing much about the core rules of Fantasy, I guess I have to say that I very rarely lose just one Tau...more like entire units due to assault by Eldar jetbike...but, anyway...

The Warbands rules will be used for the first two sections of 250 (first month) and 500 points (second month). Having looked over the Warbands rules, it makes the HE starting army box look like a pretty good purchase.

Taviel
PapaElf

#4 Post by PapaElf »

Hi, Welcome to the forum. Here's a complete set of the Warband rules. http://www.warfan.net/Warbands.pdf

There are rules in there for escalation, however they are not based on a set point structure; i.e. 250, 500, 750 etc. They are based on combat results and they allow for incremental point adjustments at each level.

As the game progresses one is allowed a total rebuild at the start of each new level. As the game gets larger each month, what rules apply to the new build.
PapaElf
Lord Anathir

#5 Post by Lord Anathir »

I would not start with high elves. I'd begin with an immune to psychology army... vampires, daemons or a naturally invincible army like dark elves or lizardmen.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
dabber
Tactician

#6 Post by dabber »

Lord Anathir wrote:I would not start with high elves. I'd begin with an immune to psychology army... vampires, daemons or a naturally invincible army like dark elves or lizardmen.
I disagree. Start the game with an army that makes you play the game. Winning will be more difficult, but more satisfying and interesting.

If you just want to win, play Daemons. Terribly designed army book is blatantly more powerful than everything else.
Chracian

#7 Post by Chracian »

If you want an easy army, I guess Daemons...but I would still recomend High Elves to anybody. Superb background, marvellous characters, wonderful miniatures. The phoenix guard in particular are magnificent models.

As for playing, I think High Elves can be quite forgiving to start with because of the Always Strikes First rule. Not everybody on this site thinks its a good rule, but we have it nonetheless and it can be useful if you misjudge slightly.

One of my friends recently took up high elves (she likes the models) and hs found them a decent challenge. Not too powerful like DoC or VC, but not underpowered like OnG.

Here is a link to another new player's topic, starting at 250 points. It is very useful:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
Taviel

#8 Post by Taviel »

Well, I'm not looking for an "easy" or "instant win" army. Just something that has a bit of breathing room for mistakes and allows me to learn the game in order to sufficiently hold my own while I'm learning more advanced tactics. Chracian, that link was great, thank you. PapaElf, I've all ready got a copy of the Warbands rules but I've only had a chance to skim it. Some of the escalation rules are being house-ruled and I've yet to get those details. I'll update here when I do get them.

At any rate, thank you all for your input. If I do go HE (quite likely), you'll see more of me around here. Take care.

Taviel
Beregond

#9 Post by Beregond »

The high elf army can be quite fun to play, but it is also pretty fragile.

I don't play 40K, but from what I understand of it, the Tau face a lot of the same types of issues in this regard that High Elves face in fantasy.

The batallion box would be a good start for you. Silver Helms in general are not viewed in the best light in 7th edition, mostly because either Dragon Princes or Ellyrion Reavers are better at any job that the silver helms can do, and they are all special choices now.

Anyway, good luck, and have fun!
Lord Anathir

#10 Post by Lord Anathir »

dabber wrote:
Lord Anathir wrote:I would not start with high elves. I'd begin with an immune to psychology army... vampires, daemons or a naturally invincible army like dark elves or lizardmen.
I disagree. Start the game with an army that makes you play the game. Winning will be more difficult, but more satisfying and interesting.

If you just want to win, play Daemons. Terribly designed army book is blatantly more powerful than everything else.
Personally my first army was a 6th edition high elves so not an easy win at all, but from what I understood the opening post wanted an easier army to start with.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Elanil

#11 Post by Elanil »

Because I can, and because I have for every other thread like this:

http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26390

I am not a good sculptor, or very good at conversions, but you can make dragon princes from the silver helms and they will look decent no matter your skill level. They make the boxed set a much better value.