viable griffon prince.

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

ceyl-isha

viable griffon prince.

#1 Post by ceyl-isha »

We have had Griffon topic before but my question is how could you make an griffon prince viable I have one and would like to use it. So how would you make an army at 2250 with a griffon prince that would hold up to a balanced army setup.

Please tell me your strategy for use and army lists that it would do well against, discuss.

Hers mine:

2250 griffon army.

450ish prince, griffon, heavy armor ,sword of leaping gold, golden shield.

170ish noble, BSB, great weapon, armor of Calador,guardian phoenix .

170ish mage lvl2 power stone, seer.

150ish mage lvl2 power stone, silver wand.

230ish LSG x15 F,C,O Banner of ellyrion
220ish LSG x15 F,C,O

300ish SM x15F,C,O banner of sorcery
250ish SM x14F,C,O

105ish bolt thrower
105ish bolt thrower
55ish great eagle
55ish great eagle

2249Total

Strategy ,keep the Griffon lord off a turn or so behind some trees or out of line of sight of magic or shooters and use him as a flanking force against average units as soon as I can get my infantry in combat. This prince has low defenses but I feel that a griffon lord really couldn’t be protected to much anyway yea VoD and AoC and a great weapon would help him but I just want to send him into core/light units and have plenty attacks’ if he takes any wounds Ill try to just heal him with lore of life.

Magic id pick spells spell’s 3 gift of life ,and 4 howler wind from the lore of life with my seer mage, And High magic with my silver wand mage and hope for spell 2 curse of arrow attraction, and spell 3 courage of Aenarion and pass of what ever I don’t want to the first spell.

So I would cast all my spells in this order curse, courage and howler, last drain magic, trading out gift of life as needed or blowing a stone to heal my general (obviously before drain magic).

My LSG, a lot of people dislike them but I feel that if you have them in 10/5 formation and before you receive a charge the turn before flip them back into a 3x5 and stand and shoot. The LSG with the BoE I try to keep something like a fence or bushes or even a wood close nearby them or in front of them, that way they can charge out and through into anyone who gets to close and comfortable.

My SM are really there to hit flanks and move with the LSG and setup- counter charge stances and guard the mages as my spells’ are more area of affect and don’t have the best range.

But this list is just to make an example of a list not anything to challenge any ant list with.

and here is my Griffon of choice.

Stand and face your fears
in the end thay may be
all that you have.
[img]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9642/deamonartxsp5.jpg[/img]
Elrohir T?wele

#2 Post by Elrohir T?wele »

My basic idea for a griffon lord would be to have all flying or fast units without losing a hero.

griffin lord
hero on eagle
hero on eagle
hero in chariot
4 chariots
2 reaver units
4 eagles
2 archer units.

The items and points don't matter as much as the concept, at least for me right now..
Any other time I'd consieder elthirion on stormwing, becasue this type of list ignores the magic phase completely he is a wasted lord choice, but if you have any moderate magic, he becomes a more viable choice.
Prince Minahathir

Re: viable griffon prince.

#3 Post by Prince Minahathir »

The main advantage I've found with my griffon prince is that he doesn't attract anywhere near the kind of attention a dragon does, however he's still very vulnerable to shooting. The best defense against this is for him to be in combat at all times. If he's in combat against rank and file troops he should almost always be able to kill off those in base contact so i tend to go for magical close combat weapons like the blade of leaping gold or the sword of hoeth (depending on the enemy) so i don't have to worry too much about armour.

The other defense against shooting is to take other fast, high threat units like DP's also capable of negating rank bonuses. With one or two of these on the field your opponent will have to either destroy one and leave the others unharmed or split his fire.

In terms of targets i choose large infantry blocks which i can hit in the flank. These cost a lot of points, die relatively easily and rely on static combat res to win. Lining up a charge to the front at the same time often means a break and the prince can then overrun into the next flank and hopefully run down the enemy's battle line.

While it's tempting to fly armound sowing terror in the opponent's back line, you should only do this if you've already dealt with his missile troops and war machines. until then, keep him in combat.

happy hunting :D
We ride until the sun sets and only then do we cease.... Of all our weapons, our steeds are the greatest.
SpellArcher
Green Istari

Re: viable griffon prince.

#4 Post by SpellArcher »

Nice idea!

The BSB is good and necessary. I know you'll have Drain Magic but defence is still a bit light I reckon. You have room for a scroll on Mage #2, I'd take it.

A bit worried about the battle line. They are mostly Ld8 with no fear protection and the LSG won't stand up to good enemy combat units.

No cavalry or chariots. Maybe this will work but it robs you of some flexibility. To put some in I guess you either have to go scroll caddy or maybe commute one of your infantry blocks. Not sure how though.