Skirmishers Receiving a Charge

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Foxbat

Skirmishers Receiving a Charge

#1 Post by Foxbat »

In a recent game, I ran into a strange situation with respect to my Shadow Warriors receiving a charge.

Basically, I had deployed my 8 model SW unit in a single line screen that was about 12” across. Well, my opponent charged his fast cavalry unit into the far left model (had it been a normal unit, the cavalry would have had a flank charge).

The question, was could the extreme right two models, which were more than 10” away from the charge line, be placed in the fighting line?

Looking at the BRB, it doesn’t specifically address this issue for the charged unit, but does address the situation for the charging unit.

Any ideas as to what the right answer is here?
Wildling04

#2 Post by Wildling04 »

I believe that your skirmishers rank up to him, regardless of distance that they need to move in order to do so.
dabber
Tactician

#3 Post by dabber »

The distant skirmishers get there.
Its the main loophole in the skirmisher rules - a unit as wide as the table can instantly jump to one side once they get in combat.
PapaElf

#4 Post by PapaElf »

No, the models outside of 10 inches go into the rear ranks. You do have to line up on his unit, but the SW's 10 inch charge range still applies.

BRB, page 67, "Charging against Skirmishers",
the skirmishers line up as explained above, lining up along side the enemys front (their movement does not count as charging of course). This is shown in Diagrams 66.1, 66.2, and 66.3
"Above" being the rules for lining up on the charge, page 65, BRB.
PapaElf
Rumor

#5 Post by Rumor »

^ Hasnt that been changed in the new FAQ?
PapaElf

#6 Post by PapaElf »

I don't recall any changes in the FAQ's that address this situation, perhaps you could give a reference, if you believe this is not the case.
PapaElf
Wildling04

#7 Post by Wildling04 »

PapaElf wrote:No, the models outside of 10 inches go into the rear ranks. You do have to line up on his unit, but the SW's 10 inch charge range still applies.
I don't read it that way at all. I believe they are referring to the way that you line up against an enemy's front and that the SW 10" charge doesn't come into play.
Spectre1

#8 Post by Spectre1 »

From the FAQ, the ennemy unit will be lining up to the closest visible skirmisher. And you will be able to line up as many SW as can get there with their regular movement, so 5 inches. Any farther then that will go in a second or third rank.
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/cw69lwp.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg6fohh.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/p4ipaw.gif[/img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/arhav13f.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/lodek0wn.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/flafam3l1.gif[/img]
7/14/8
PapaElf

#9 Post by PapaElf »

This is the second time that the FAQ has been referenced as having opinion on this rule. Well I need help, which FAQ, is it an Army Book? I have read the FAQ for the BRB three times in the last two days and I don't see where this situation is addressed. Which FAQ, What Page/section of that FAQ are we referring to?

For the life of me, I do not understand the tendency of this forum to twist the meaning of rules that are perfectly clear, and then blame GW for sloppy rule writing. With respect to this issue Page 67 of the BRB says in so many words that the Skirimishers align on the chargers following the same alignment rules as if charging and further gives a caution that this alignment does not count as a charge.

They even reference pictures for added clarity.
PapaElf
Wildling04

#10 Post by Wildling04 »

PapaElf wrote: For the life of me, I do not understand the tendency of this forum to twist the meaning of rules that are perfectly clear, and then blame GW for sloppy rule writing. With respect to this issue Page 67 of the BRB says in so many words that the Skirimishers align on the chargers following the same alignment rules as if charging and further gives a caution that this alignment does not count as a charge.
Relax a bit. It is very easy to have different readings of a lot of these rules and I didn't say it had to do with sloppy rule writing. Often, it is just because there are more situations than can be explained and things are extremely complex.

I did go back and looked much closer at the illustrations and you are right, based on the caption in the one on the top right, it becomes much clearer that the skrimishers need to be within their charge range.

So, unless someone produces the specific FAQ that says otherwise, Papa Elf has it right.
Arcsheild

#11 Post by Arcsheild »

The distant skirmishers get there.
Its the main loophole in the skirmisher rules - a unit as wide as the table can instantly jump to one side once they get in combat.
I love that. Makes for very interesting possibilities, and unfair advantages :P
[i]'Though the darkness grows stronger each day, we still shall fight it, with hope that it will sometime fade. For hope is our shield against our unimaginable foe, and for as long as we live, our hope will never die...'[/i]
Foxbat

#12 Post by Foxbat »

PapaElf wrote: No, the models outside of 10 inches go into the rear ranks. You do have to line up on his unit, but the SW's 10 inch charge range still applies.

BRB, page 67, "Charging against Skirmishers",
Wildling04 wrote:I did go back and looked much closer at the illustrations and you are right, based on the caption in the one on the top right, it becomes much clearer that the skrimishers need to be within their charge range.

So, unless someone produces the specific FAQ that says otherwise, Papa Elf has it right.
Thanks for the clarification.

This was how we played it anyway.

BTW, it does make for an interesting defense against the Shade death star, especially if the BSB and General are at the far end of the formation…

Just for added fun, how would you deal with the same situation if the death star was under the effects of the Lore of Life's Marsh spell?