Best Lore in WFB

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Aliethur

Best Lore in WFB

#1 Post by Aliethur »

Hey guys

On my show I talked about the lores of magic. One question I asked was what is the overall best Lore in the current WFB system? Now I know that each lore is situational but some Lores edge out others. I want to hear your suggetions and why. I am hoping to discuss this topic with a panel on my next episode. So post your top pic and you might hear it on the next episode of the Miscast Podcast.
Confused Counselor wrote:
Beside, you are as plain wrong as it gets. See what a greater daemon does to a space marine. See what Aenarion does to a greater daemon.
ZehKaiser

#2 Post by ZehKaiser »

The best of the 8 rulebook lores, or the best of any of them in the entire game?

In the rulebook I'm going to have to go with metal as the best at what it does. Every lore works well against specific armies, but I think metal works better against its desired opponents than other lores doe against their desired opponents. Beasts is a close second for beast cowerers only... If you were asking the best spell in the game that'd be it.

If you are asking about the best lore in the game including all the lores, than I'd have to go with the Dark Lore for the DE. Its got two nuke spells that are easy to get off and very powerful, and is very potent for its damage dealing, and it doesn't matter that it lacks support spells because the army list has the cauldron to fill that role. Can't forget beefed up chillwind either... Power of Darkness.

Close second for best overall would be the VC magic.
[url=http://podhammer.net][img]http://podhammer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/heuser.jpg[/img][/url]
Minsc

#3 Post by Minsc »

Vampire Lore hands down, it's not even debatable. :roll:

Dark Lore is rather deadly indeed, but so is the WoC Lore of Tzeentch; Infernal Gateway is just silly.
The Ogre Lore is also rather good - Imagine if High Elves could cast those spells on their own units.
Lord Anathir

#4 Post by Lord Anathir »

yeah, vampire lore hands down.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Alathenar

#5 Post by Alathenar »

Ive had no experience with Vampire Lore, but what about chaos players spamming Nurgle buboes everywhere?(the one that takes a wound away).
[i]"You only get one chance to make a last impression."[/i]
[i]"For every choice, a consequence."[/i]
ceyl-isha

#6 Post by ceyl-isha »

you know i thnk lore of light is a very good lore.it has defence and realy good blastyness,and a good healing spell to.
Stand and face your fears
in the end thay may be
all that you have.
[img]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9642/deamonartxsp5.jpg[/img]
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#7 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

SwiftSwordmaster wrote:Ive had no experience with Vampire Lore, but what about chaos players spamming Nurgle buboes everywhere?(the one that takes a wound away).
Spamming it requires multiple mages.

VC on the other hand, 1 mage can spam lots of different spells.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
babalubeaga

#8 Post by babalubeaga »

I don't think the lores matter as much as who is casting them. VC, Teclis, Kairos etc can all change the game regardless of which lore they take. It is the wide selection of spells (or ability to pick and choose) and the sheer casting power of some of the upper tier mages that gives them superiority over your basic level 4 caster.
VC magic is just diffferent (broken probably but nonetheless different) and some SCs have innate poweres or items that allow them to dominate a magic phase regardless of the magic defense you have.

Any lore is dangerous in the hands of those guys, and it all comes down to how many IFs they can pull off on the bigger spells.

I agree with most here that Beasts and Metal are at the top due to versatility and destructive power, but I also think High ranks due to the annoyance you can cause your opponent (5+ ward, re-roll misses with shooting, stubborn on a unit, and Vaul's which can be a game changer, especially if accompanied by the bound version ring....tears from you enemy general when his items are gone?)
davieste

#9 Post by davieste »

I don't think the lores matter as much as who is casting them.
I think the lores matter a great deal to who is casting them. Some lores are a lot better suited to lvl2's (although lvl4's can obviously use any lores).

Examples:

Death or fire is a lore I prefer to leave to a lvl4, with a lot of it's spells being 8+ in casting value so really need 3 dice. Which means a pair of lvl2's will only be able to cast 2 spells reliably - the basic MM on 2 dice and a 3 dice spell or 2 3 dice spells. Lores of Life/heavens/beasts on the other hand have a lot of 5 or 6+ spells which means a pair of lvl2's can reliably cast 3 spells on their 6 dice, or even 4 with the banner of sorcery. Which puts more pressure on the magic defence of the opponent. Life and Heavens are also especially good as a lot of their MM are non range dependant (life is dependant on being near a wood/hill etc).

If you are looking at a lore for a lvl4 then VC is def the best, of the rulebook lores I think Fire or Shadow are good, with shadow having 2 big good spells.
Wildling04

#10 Post by Wildling04 »

Minsc wrote: The Ogre Lore is also rather good - Imagine if High Elves could cast those spells on their own units.
Imagine if we could do that with the Vampire Lore!

I find myself taking beasts a lot thanks to all the monsters out there. Metal and High Magic have their uses, and I like Lore of Life occasionally as well.
babalubeaga

#11 Post by babalubeaga »

I think this ? is too situational. It all depends on who you are playing and what kind of magic defense they have. With the standard 2-4 scrolls 2k-2250 armies seem to bring these days, and your more magic oriented armies getting into double digit DD, I still believe it comes down to who you have casting.

Yeah 2 level 2s with beasts can cast a couple spells, but when throwing 2 dice your not gonna get many IFs, and you will still fail the small spells something like 35-40% of the time.

IFs are what it all comes down to, especially on the big spells.

I am curious as to what lore everyone would pick against a random opponent? For me it would be HE first, then probably beasts.

Not to hijcak but that may be a better way of finding out the best lore of the game....the one we would take ahead of time not knowing our opponent.
Marwynn

#12 Post by Marwynn »

The Vampire Lore is fairly nuts.

But I do like High Magic, a nice balance of spells. If Drain Magic was really a free spell for all HE Mages it'd be perfect.

Death, Shadow and Metal would be my choices of the 8 Lores.
le_tiss

#13 Post by le_tiss »

Hi, asked elsewhere :ninja: but I will ask here as you are the HE boys

What are best lores against

WoC
Orc's
Ogres
Tomb King
Empire

These are my regular oppo's and I and only ever take HE lore

thanks in advance
Eärendil

#14 Post by Eärendil »

Minsc wrote:Vampire Lore hands down, it's not even debatable. :roll:
The Ogre Lore is also rather good - Imagine if High Elves could cast those spells on their own units.
I'm not sure our mages would last too long taking s4 and s6 hits and automatic wounds though! :)
army blog: http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25300
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#15 Post by SpellArcher »

I'd be very wary of casting 7+ spells on two dice. Lvl2's can use three, which gives is a much better use of power dice IMHO.

For a random opponent I'd definitely take High Magic.
SquigFace

#16 Post by SquigFace »

For those Lores which are available to High Elves, I have found beasts perhaps ranks top. No duff spells (though Oxen Stands isn't that great, still there are alot worse in other Lores), some game changing ones, plenty of versatility, and low casting values is wonderful for making the most of your powerdice and ensuring that you very rarely fail to cast what you attempt.

The others are more situational. High is very good if you have the powerdice/levels, metal can be great too. I think Shadow is very situational, and over hyped.
Marwynn

#17 Post by Marwynn »

le_tiss wrote:Hi, asked elsewhere :ninja: but I will ask here as you are the HE boys

What are best lores against

WoC
Orc's
Ogres
Tomb King
Empire

These are my regular oppo's and I and only ever take HE lore

thanks in advance
For WoC I prefer the versatility of High Magic. Though you'll find good use out of Shadow for any Archmages.

Orcs and Ogres are again Shadow or Death. Tomb King, High or Light works. Don't bother with Drain Magic against the TK though.

The Empire is best fought with Metal. You can snipe their characters well enough and cause some mayhem with Spirit of the Forge.
Eltherion

#18 Post by Eltherion »

Each Lore is good you just need the right Lore for the opponent you are fighting and the Mages you have.

Don't use Lores with high casting value spells unless you have an Achmage or similar.

Lore of Fire is good vs Regen save armies.

Ogre Magic is good for supporting the Ogre Army etc....

High Magic is ok for Magic Defence (High Elves)
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650