Bringing a dragon mage in a 2250 point game?

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tres Iqus

Bringing a dragon mage in a 2250 point game?

#1 Post by Tres Iqus »

I play my friend who is chaos and have been thinking about bringing a dragon mage to it but keep triple questioning if its a good idea or not. me and my friends played a 3 way battle at 1000 and i had a dragon mage and it literally cleared the field by himself = O...and are dragon mages just as cheesy as a prince on a star dragon? cause i stopped going a prince on a star dragon and heavy magic cause im tired of my friend sayin how cheesy it is = \. i know this is 2 questions in one lol sorry for the confusion if there is any = ) thanks in advance as always
Lord Random

#2 Post by Lord Random »

Dragon mage is werry good against Chaos cuz they dont have any shooting to take him down (still have ok magic missiles). But i would not say its cheesy... atleast not in 2250p game...
Keith

#3 Post by Keith »

If you have a prince on a star dragon i fail to see how you can be 'magic heavy' also. He is just a crybaby. What do you have 2 lvl 2s and a bound and the banner of sorcery?
Rakai

#4 Post by Rakai »

If you field the dragonmage with a prince who's not on a dragon, I don't see any cheese at all. Dragonmage +Stardragon prince, maybe.
But a dragonmage isn't as strong in 2250 as he is in 1000 so you should be fine!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Milliardo/Avatars%20and%20Sigs/MageKnightGuildLogoColouredh.jpg[/img]
Flame of the Asuryan

#5 Post by Flame of the Asuryan »

Rakai wrote:If you field the dragonmage with a prince who's not on a dragon, I don't see any cheese at all. Dragonmage +Stardragon prince, maybe.
But a dragonmage isn't as strong in 2250 as he is in 1000 so you should be fine!
Dragonmage + Stardragon you say? Come in! The rest of the army wont look that great then.

Against Armilthuan, his dragon mage was a big threat. I was really impressed of its damage potential. Unfortunately, I shot the mage from his dragon(in turn 5), but it screwed an entire spearmen regiment, Bolt thrower and damaged one of my mages with the few spells that came through.
-"Humans are the cruelest of animals" Friedrich Nietzsche -
Tres Iqus

#6 Post by Tres Iqus »

i just meant bringing only a prince on a star dragon being cheesy or going heavy magic being cheesy. He claims the fact that i can bring up to 16 pd with the banner is cheesy. just want to clear it up that i dont do a prince on a star dragon and heavy magic...wouldnt be much of an army...
Darvon

#7 Post by Darvon »

I've taken a DM against my friends chaos army the last two games (1500). It's done practically nothing except be an expensive march blocker.

Just can't punch through Chaos armour + ward with magic missiles.
mencius

#8 Post by mencius »

I played chaos first time ever with a dragon mage.... no shooting.. Good right.... He died second turn. A stray, rediculously fast, unkillable spawn went nuts.
Tres Iqus

#9 Post by Tres Iqus »

lol that sucks "the unkillable spawn" but yea i think i have decided not to bring a dragon mage to it. just for the fact that the spells are all str 4. so u wound on 4s and then they get there hefty armor save and just like ur saying the ward saves too = O if i can throw Lore of metal on top of a dragon thats another story = P
Kylim

#10 Post by Kylim »

You could stick an Archmage on a Sun or Moon Dragon. With the Moon Dragon you'd have S3 breath which against Warriors and stuff isn't great I'll admit, but against hounds or Marauders afoot or ahorse it could help keep the Archmage safe from suicide Mage-hunters or what not. Plus with lore of Metal and the Dragon's mobility you could be killing and terrorizing knights and Warriors all six turns.
Sassafras

#11 Post by Sassafras »

What makes a spawn unkillable?
garythewargamer

comment

#12 Post by garythewargamer »

Yes a dragon mage against warriors of chaos finds it hard to make up its points. It can still do it but it will take you longer to accomplish. With no shooting that is one less thing to worry about but if you get charged you are still in trouble. I really messed up one game and had to use him as a bait and flee tactic against his heavy cav. Hey it worked but it sure looked funny.