Banner of the World Dragon Question

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Beregond

Banner of the World Dragon Question

#1 Post by Beregond »

So-- here's the question: If I have an Archmage in a unit with a BSB holding the Banner of the World Dragon, and I miscast, would the Archmage suffer yhe effects of the miscast? The item description says that the unit containing the banner is immune to all spell effects, whatever their source. I think the answer lies in whether or not a miscast is a spell effect. I'm thinking so, but am not completely positive, so I thought I'd ask here. What do you all think?
PapaElf

#2 Post by PapaElf »

I think not. What is the effect, if the spell does not cast in the first place?
PapaElf
Candy Chesthair

#3 Post by Candy Chesthair »

In order for a spell to have a spelleffect, the spell must be succesfull. The miscast implies the spell was not succesfull and so it can't have a spelleffect. Instead of a spelleffect you must roll on the miscasttable, but this doesn't follow from the effect of the spell, but from the effect of the miscast.

So I think the archmage will be effected by the miscast.

Greetings,

Roy
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." -Sigmund Freud

High Elves 7th edition: W/L/D: 7/3/2
Keith

#4 Post by Keith »

The results of a miscast is not a 'spell effect'. Therefore they are not immune. For example, if you could somehow make a cannon 'immune to shooting' that does not make it immune to its own misfires.
Beregond

#5 Post by Beregond »

Thanks for the quick response. I suppose if it was 'magic effect' rather than 'spell effect', I'd have a case. This was one of those lying in bed, 'what if' thoughts.
Candy Chesthair

#6 Post by Candy Chesthair »

Beregond wrote:This was one of those lying in bed, 'what if' thoughts.
.. we are quite different on the kind of ‘what if’ thoughts we have when lying in bed... :wink:
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." -Sigmund Freud

High Elves 7th edition: W/L/D: 7/3/2