Warband Rules

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

RemX

Warband Rules

#1 Post by RemX »

Are there any official, published Warband rules? A friend just emailed me a pdf that says it's "revised for Seventh Edition, September 2006." They don't exactly coincide with the recent discussion about my upcoming escalation league.

In particular they don't mention any of the niceties that HE might get regarding number of core units and the use of rares. Specifically it states 2 core and 0 special and 0 rares for points up to 199. Yikes.

There's even a section on "army specific rules" but there's no dispensation for High Elves.
PapaElf

#2 Post by PapaElf »

The "Warband" rules were published in three consecutive issues of the White Dwarf, 296-298. There used to be PDF's on the GW website under gaming. These no longer exist, but perhaps GW customer service can provide them on request, might be worth a try.

Anyway, there are two sets of rules, small warbands (1-199 points) and large warbands (200-500 points). Your friend obviously has a copy of the small warband rules. These rules were written for 6th edition, when every army in the warhammer world had a force organization of 3+ core, 0-4 special, and 0-2 rare at 2000 points. Less than 2000 it was 2+ core, 0-3 special, and 0-1 rare.

Specifically the "large" Warband rules are as follows.
  • Must include two core units
    Must not include more than ten units
    May include up to one special and one rare OR two special and no rare choices
    May include 0-2 hero level choices, though their combined points cost (including all equipment, upgrades, abilities, and the like) may not exceed 150 points
    Must include one commander model
    May include 0-1 war machine or chariot (note this rule applies even if the army book allows for a two for one choice, you get one)
    May include one flying unit or creature
    Must obey army book restrictions placed on certain units, i.e. 0-1 choices
    Minimum unit sizes are:
    • Infantry models - three
      Cavalry models - two
      40mm or 50mm bases - one
    Command choices, captain, banner, etc. can not be taken unit the unit reaches army book, minimum size.
For historical reference, the 6th Edition High Elves had five 0-1 units (Lothern Seaguard and all of the current elites), three two for one choices (tiranoc chariots, eagles, and bolt throwers), and Silverhelms as core.

The above are the rules as written, and they tend to mirror the army organizations that were in effect at the time they were written. However the 7th Edition High Elf book "broke the mold". It was mentioned in an earlier thread, that the league was playing a "bastardized" version. This is all that really matters and perhaps this will help support an arguement that the High Elves need special consideration.

If not:
  • Noble - Elven Steed, Dragon Armor, Shield, Reaver Bow - 145 points
    Lothern SeaGuard x 4 - Shields - 52 points
    Lothern SeaGuard x 4 - Shields - 52 points
    Total Army - 249 points
PapaElf
RemX

#3 Post by RemX »

Yeah, I had mentioned the bastardized ruleset. I was merely relaying what I had heard mentioned in our play group. Then one of the players dropped these "published" rules on me. They still aren't the official rules for the league as I expect the guy who's running it to present something

I was mostly preparing a case for HE's to get some dispensation if necessary. We'll see. Not knowing the other army books and their force organizations, that may be a tough sell for me. Still, I'll browse Army Builder and see what the other army options are (I know, AB is inaccurate sometimes).

Thanks for the help PapaElf.
Chracian

#4 Post by Chracian »

I think I have a copy of the same rules that you have RemX. It was written before the HE 7th ed. army book came out (although the 7th ed. BRB was out), so the rules for HE relates to intrigue at court and honours, fro the 6th ed. AB. It might be worth negotiating an extra special/rare slot to compensate, especially as this more closely represents the force organisation of the HE.
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
— Terry Pratchett
PapaElf

Re: Warband Rules

#5 Post by PapaElf »

RemX wrote:Are there any official, published Warband rules?
Don't know why I didn't think of this sooner, "Google is great". Try this IRL http://www.warfan.net/Warbands.pdf

The reference to seventh edition is bogus, these are the complete official rules as published in the White Dwarf, issues 296 - 298. They are sixth edition and include the rules for army construction, plus escalation and campaign games.
PapaElf
RemX

#6 Post by RemX »

Right, this is the same document my friend emailed. So we're all on the same page. As I understand it, these rules are based on the old HE army book. We'll have to see how the final rules pan out. Then I'll come back for even more guidance (read: hand holding).