The Die Hard Nagarythe Themed Army Blog

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Lord Anathir

The Die Hard Nagarythe Themed Army Blog

#1 Post by Lord Anathir »

Welcome All.

I feel that in honor of my 3000th post I should write a bit more formally then I normally do. In light of the success of my generic army list blog, I've decided to initiate a new one to record my journey in a new scheme of mine. Anyways, forgive me if in this post I sound a bit...lost in life, so to speak.

Fluff has always been a big party of my warhammer fantasy hobby. Although I play competitively I have always tried to find a high elf list that has a sense of realism and cohesion. Over the years my allegiances have changed hands many times; from my chariot based Tiranoc army, to a Caledor dragon list, to a magic heavy Saphery list and sometimes from Eataine, Yvresse and a few imaginative/original locations. But none of them have sat quite right with me. I never felt my personality matched that of my chosen province. My interest in the game, and the army I played, started to wane.

Recently I have become half a dark elf, ever enamoured by their dark majesty. I am not the same kid inside when I started high elves many years ago. I've become bitter (you've all seen that), died my hair black, and strayed a bit down that emo path. I've started to play dark elves over the high elves in different fantasy games, something I would never have dared to do in my earlier years.

The other day I opened the dark elf book, and began writing out a list. I flipped through some pages of fluff in the book, and the sheer evil of their nature truely shocked me. Their twisted deeds were not amusing, and then I realised that as dark and bitter as I may sometimes be I am still a high elf at heart or somewhere in between. So from whence did I hail?

And then I remembered that nothern province, Nagarythe is its name. I know now where I belong.

Some elves fought too long in the deep shadow, dipped their blades too often in tainted flesh. Their minds are lost to bitterness, but their spirits remain true. They are the Aesanar, and through them the glory of Nagarythe will be restored and the traitors destroyed.

Nagarythe Forever.

Asuryan Forever.

Ulthuan will never fall.

And so I've begun a Nagarythe list, but not one that only calls it that in name. A competitive list I seek, with archers, spears, eagles and shadow warriors only. This thread is where that journey will begin to unfold, for those who are interested.

Since I will have painting, tactics and army lists in this thread I have placed it in the generic warhammer fantasy thread. The lores are free to move it where they see fit.

Comments are always welcome,

Anathir of Nagarythe :-$
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Alquawen

#2 Post by Alquawen »

Is it purely going to be a Nagarythe army? Thatd be really hard to implement but would look great and BE great. I think its good you are not taking an easy route by saying

"Well Chrace and Sapherys pretty close ill just dump some of their troops in"

Saying that, ellyrian reavers would be a welcome edition and could be mounted shadow warriors, but im completely contradicting you.

I also find it really grating when someone mentions a lothern or tiranoc army or something, and equips them with armour of caledor, or sword of hoeth or something, but thats just me.

Good luck with the list, and persevere with it, i know how "emos" have a penchant for giving up :D
Ramesesis

#3 Post by Ramesesis »

It is a great project, Anathir.
Before I finally droped my HE, I was going to make Ramesesis into a Nagarythe general, but I strayed away from it.
I wish you the best of luck and may Anar lead your forces to glory of death! There can be no peace, there can be no forgiveness!
RE.Lee

#4 Post by RE.Lee »

I'm always very interested in Army Blog's like this. Keeping the background, lists and gallery in one place helps to understand the general feeling of the army much better than when its spread all over the forums. Good luck with the project - I'll definately keep track of it :wink:
cheers, Lee

Elven Field Surgeon, Department of Intensive Care, Resuscitation and Necromancy
Arhain

#5 Post by Arhain »

Damn skippy, let's see it. Remember, limit yourself to what you think a Nagarythe army would play like, not necessarily what the names of some of our HE units are. Greatest example is the Reavers. Yes, their name says they're from Ellyrian, but in truth they are generic fast cav whose techniques are in line with Nagarythe strategy.

Good luck to you man.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z191/IronFistLeague/obsidian_order_b.png[/img]

[url=http://iflleague.s4.bizhat.com/index.php?mforum=iflleague]Northern Virginia Gaming[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=47961]Approach to Balance[/url]
Lírea Fellblade

#6 Post by Lírea Fellblade »

What colour scheme do you plan to use?
Azahul the Fallen, Dread Lord of The Wrath of Nagarythe, Defender of Phoenix Pass
11/19/6
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/Start-medal.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/lw6ecde.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/bg1-2z7vn.gif[/img] [img]http://www.abload.de/img/phoemze6.gif[/img]
Getwisteerd

#7 Post by Getwisteerd »

Have you considered using the Dark elf book for your Nagarythe army? They have spearmen, archers (well, repeater crossbowmen), fast cavalry and skirmishers and I think it would be more competative that way. Shades are an awesome unit, better suited to represent shadow warriors than shadow warriors themselves IMO. They would offer you some more CC power which you will lack with only S3 troops.
Also, the fact that they all have hatred would reflect the bitterness of the shadow warriors

The main problem I see would be the repeater crossbows, as they are clearly not longbows and would give some problems with WYSIWYG.

Anyway, as a Dark elf player I thought I should bring that up ;)
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/ls2qim6.gif[/img][img]http://img2.abload.de/img/wonqunh.gif[/img][img]http://www.abload.de/img/b1um1z.gif[/img]

[i]There is no escape from entropy, it marks us all[/i] - the second law of thermodynamics
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#8 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Remember, if you want to use any more traditional troops, that the High Elves maintained a garrison in Anlec (up until the time it was wiped out by Malekith a few years back), and that Calaidan Coraith and his retainers (from Tears of Isha) are also present in the north.
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Griffon Prince

#9 Post by Griffon Prince »

This is excellent! You've inspired me to take the bolt throwers out of my own Nagarythe list!
I'll be watching this thread with great interest. Best of luck, M'lord.
Cyrannoc

#10 Post by Cyrannoc »

great idea, and good on yer!, fluff themed armies are ALWAYS better (at least for a fluff-head like me)

I reckon that some form of Ellyrian reaver proxy would be quite acceptable, you might consider using some slightly converted (perhaps be-feathered) metal Dark elf Dark Riders - They could be re termed "Shadow Riders" and would find themselves right at home in Nagarythe patrolling the barren windswept coasts borders, ruthlessly hunting down and slaughtering any would be druchii interlopers!.

I always thought there might also be a place for some form of sea-eagle type unit acting as the diligent eyes and ears (coastal scouts) to the Nagarythe defenders - some black or dark-grey feathered sea-eagles would make excellent additions to a nagarythe force (and in my mind this gels quite nicely with the whole lightning attack - Guerrilla warfare style nagarythe battle style.

Ever since Draxcynnics mentioned the histroical precedent of the "Raven heralds" of pre-sundering fame I have also had the Raven motif as quite a strong element of visual glue, that i find is helpful when imagining a nagarythe army. -

Anyway, these are just some of my thoughts - food for thought perhaps?

(congratulations on your 3000th post!)
Si'anelle of Avelorn
Dreamer of Worlds

#11 Post by Si'anelle of Avelorn »

I am a big fan of strongly themed army lists and I applaude your intentions in wanting to create a purist Shadowlands Nagarythe army.
It is all to easy to say, 'Well the XYZ Realm is just next door, so I can take the Warriors of XYZ and that would be alright. An army of a particular realm is just that, - it is made up of the citizens of that realm and not Uncle Tom Cobbly and all.

As an example for Avelorn I often use Centaurs as light cavalry and play them by Reaver rules. I also use Forest Nymphs, Sprites and various Treefolk too which is completely in keeping with the fluff for Avelorn. Of course all these creatures are visual proxies for High Elf list troop types which should not be seen in Avelorn. To my mind it just looks better.

I like the idea of using 'Great Sea Eagles' btw. Most Great Eagles nest in the mountains above the Forests of Avelorn and an eagle with 'forest plumage' wouldn't look so well in the Shadowlands.
[img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Warhammer/webbanner.jpg[/img]
geoguswrek

#12 Post by geoguswrek »

Love the idea mate. What (if any) character restrictions are you placing on yourself? (i'm assuming no dragon armour, no dragon at least - these are a bit to caledorian for nagarythe).
I think your challenge will be to make the list two things: 1) competetive, but that was obvious and 2) not annoying to play against: 6 units of shadow warriors, 4 eagles, some archers, a bolt thrower bow lord (who scouts) plus some other characters, is going to be a infuriating game for some opponents.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=44127
Wildling04

#13 Post by Wildling04 »

I'd also think that sea guard would work well as I could easily see those troops armed with spears and bows.

I love the idea.
stormbrow II

#14 Post by stormbrow II »

Just don't start cutting yourself is all I'll ask.

How about a list that features:

20 SW with Hero with Talisman of Loec, GW, Shield, Shadow Armour.
If you want to do a Nagarythe list then you must include these 2 items in there, along with the Trickster's Pendant. It's nice to have a little nuke taking out characters and war machines in the early game.

I'm assuming that you'll be looking for big blocks of ItoP Spears backing up your SW and Archers?
One unit of Spears with Lion Banner and another with BSB with Standard of Balance, with a cav kit to keep him alive?

I've thought about doing such a list before but the new models are shite. If you have the patience and the money then try to get the old school Shadow Warriors.

Either way, paint before you play them. Good luck.
A woman's work is never done. Maybe that's why they get paid less.

Bono wears his tinted glasses for an eye condition.
He sees himself as God.
Lord Anathir

#15 Post by Lord Anathir »

Alright.

So I started playtesting and I've played 3 games since the opening post.

Game 1:
Prince Anathir, Bow of the Starweaver, Shadow Armor, Talisman of Loec, GW 257
Noble, BSB, Banner of Sorcery, GW, DA 174
Lvl 2, Silver Wand, Scrollx2
Lvl 2, Seer, Scroll
3 Eagles
5 Shadow Warriors
5 Shadow Warriors
10 Shadow Warriors
24 Spears, FC 256, ellyrion
24 Spears, FC 205
10 Archers
10 Archers

against empire
archlector, popemobile, usual stuff
pegusi captain with the spell steal casket
caddie
mounted priest
10 xbowmen
10 xbowmen
6 knights, full command, magic banner of +d3 charge range
10 flagellants
5 outriders
hellblaster
2 cannons
steam tank
10 hunters

Well going into this game I figured I had one thing that could kill the tank, which was my bt lord. But I figured that 4+ to wound isn't all the great. I decided to ignore the tank and work on the rest of his army. So, I deployed my two infantry blocks in opposite corners, the left one near some impassible terrain. My left side had a block of spears, my bsb, 2 eagles, mages, and my archer units at the 1/3 mark of the table. There was a forest in that side, 12 inches away from his deployment zone, in which I put the 10 strong warriors and my prince. Around that forest he had his hellblaster, flagellants, outrider, and pegusii captain. Opposite my archers were his 2 xbow+caddie units and knights. I deployed out of range to start the game. On my right side there was a forest in the middle of the zone, which his hunters were staying in. I had an eagle, my banner of ellyrion spears and 2 5 strong shadows. He deployed his cannons and archlector opposite.

bottom left quadrant: His knights advanced on my archers, my prince killed 3 and archers killed 2 in the first turn, but the remaining knight and priest broke a unit of archers, and then came back on and flanked the second unit, which held them there until breaking the last turn of the game. the d3 inch banner they had caught me by surprise, and even then he needed a 5+ to get the charge off, so he was a bit lucky. The tank moved towards my left, went after my spears, that ran away circling the impassible. I lost a few bodies to the steam gun, and needed to sacrifice a mage and an eagle to save the spears, but thats all the tank got.

In the top left quadrant: prince shot the pegusii captain, shadow warriors shot and panicked the outriders, eagle ate the hellblaster after it misfired and missed a turn of shooting. Shadows wouldve killed it anyways. The flagellants were destroyed by 2 fury of khaines. At the end of the game the shadows and prince destroyed one unit of xbows and the caddie. The second unit survived. The xbows shot at my archers for most of the time, although since my archers were backing from the knights or in combat they really didnt get much to shoot at.

Right side: The spears advanced on the hunters, and with the banner of ellyrion managed to charge and destoy them. They ran into the forest and stayed put for the rest of the game. The other 2 shadow unit ran into that same forest, and along with the eagle threatened the cannons. The archlector and the xbow unit that lived was protecting them if I stepped out, but I never did, content with tieing up his lord, a missilt unit and machines. Cannons did squat. Nothing to shoot at but spears or shadow warriors. Eagle wouldve got the charge but failed terror from war alter on the turn it was going to charge.

So a solid win to me. At the end of the game I only lost my 2 archer squads and eagles. He had half knights, priest, lord, tank, cannons, 1 xbow unit left.

----------------------
Game 2: Skaven 2250
So for the 2250 game I decided to add in a third unit of 24 spears with command.

Lvl 2, Seer, Scroll
3 Eagles
5 Shadow Warriors
5 Shadow Warriors
10 Shadow Warriors
24 Spears, FC 205
24 Spears, FC 205
10 Archers
10 Archers

Warlord, fellblade, bands of power, 4+ ward
3 engineers, storm daemon, eye of horned rat, 3 scrolls
WLC
5x25 Clan Rats, FC
5x25 Slaves
2x6 Jezzails
2 Globes
Giant

Alright skaven. So I'm outnumbered block wise, so I decided to weight flank and hope and hope to win it and hold back the centre. The flank I chose had a hill just inside deployment, which both units of archers went on. I had 3 units of spears in front of them and the 10 strong shadows on the squished on my flank. One shadow warrior unit was in a forest on the other side. The other 5 man squad was in a forest on my flank, with the edge being 4 inches from his zone and the other edge being about 14 from the hill in my zone. My prince in my lateral spear unit, noble in the centre spear unit. Central unit had ellyrion.

Everything he had was squished into 1 half of the table, divided by the aforementioned forest. Medial to the forest he had 2 units of clanrats, 3 slave units, 6 jezzails. Behind the forest he had WLC and globes. Lateral to forest he had 3 units of clan rats, 1 had warlord and 2 locks, 1 had the 3rd lock, one was behind the general's unit. There were 2 units of slaves as well. Giant was onthe flank. and Also 6 jezzails behind the line.

He started the game, and I lost a handful of spears in my lord's unit to magic missiles and jezzails. He advanced a bit. One slave unit ran towards my isolated warrior unit on the other side, and they were stuck there, couldnt really get out. Thats where both units stayed for the game.

In my turn a single volley from both archers, prince and 10 strong shadows downed the giant. the important shadows moved in charge range of WLC. My infantry advanced, and one eagle flew in front of his lateral most slave unit. lateral to the forest he had his slaves in front of his clan rat units with heros, and then a nother clan rat unit behind is generals, and sort of slanted so that locks could see.

Eagle took charge from slaves, held. bsb's spears took charge from slaves, killed them, didnt pursue. Prince's unit took more casualties, down to 2.5 ranks. (i was in 6x4) The key unit in all my plans, the third unit of spears, reformed in 2 ranks, facing the centre of the board where the 2x clans and 2x slaves were approaching. Shadows shot to 3 models.

Shadows charged WLC, which fled, only to rally the next turn on really low ld. eagle held slaves. archers moved a bit for range.

In his turn he pushed his globes in front of my bsb's unit to stop them from charging his lord's unit. eagle held slaves again. ld 10 with bsb saved me in this game. prince's unit took some more damage. down to 2 ranks. Bsb's unit took some damage to 3 ranks.

my magic did nothing. Mages were pinned, couldnt advance to get range because of wlc and jezzails. I got drain magic off once though.

my turn I charged the globes with bsb's unit, and the slaves with the shadows and clipped with prince's unit. enough to break them. overran towards his warlock's clan rat units with shadows and eagle, blocked by another eagle that I put to redirect that unit. archers faced to accept slave charge. 2 rank spears wheeled so cannon is in front arc, and to close gap between the forest and no rats can hit the flank of bsb's unit.

A big turn, he had slaves charge 2 rank spears, second unit charged archers, general's unit charged bsb's spears, other warlock's unit charged redirecting eagle. the ealge lost combat by 5, held with rerollable ld5. 2 rank spears won big, restrained pursuit. Archers lost by 1, held. Bsb's unit lost by 3, held rerollable 7s. I killed a lock in combat.

My ellyrion spears took the charge half in the forest so that he would semi clip my unit, this gave my prince's unit the space to charge in. Second archer unit charged to help the 1st unit against slaves. Warriors and eagle into the other eagle combat.

I had a problem with his lord and the d3 damage weapon he had, so I declared loec at the start of the phase, but didnt challenge. This way, I wouldnt be accepted by a unit champ, and if he wanted to get his d3 damage weapon working he would have to challenge and prince would accept. He did challenge and Anathir accepted and with his great weapon and loec put 3 wounds on the rat, slaying him. Bsb and the other spears ran wild, broke and ran down the main unit. Prince's unit restrained, bsb's unit moved toward another clan rat unit. Shadows and eagles lost but held against the rats, slaying the lock (all characters gone now). Archers broke the slaves.

He conceded here, with my prince's unit looking at the flank of the rats fighting my shadows and eagles. My 2 ranks spear unit were faced with 2 clan rat units, but the slaves i broke earlier were blocking charges.

I lost an eagle, half of my main spear units and a shadow warrior squad.

----------------
Game 3: Vampires.
Okay 2250 again. I figured that the 3rd spear block was so useful I decided to add a 4th, and dropping the 10 strong shadow unit that was a bit redundant.
Lvl 2, Seer, Scroll
3 Eagles
5 Shadow Warriors
5 Shadow Warriors
24 Spears, FC 241
20 Spears, FC 205
20 Spears, FC 205
10 Archers
10 Archers

He had:
Scouting vampire, t6, lots of damage, 4+ ward, stupidity, M9.
bsb thrall
thrall on foot
big unit of zombies (20)
15 skellies
10 skellies
10 skellies
5 Fellbats
5 Fellbats
5 dire wolves
5 dire wolves
6 black knights
corpse cart
varghulf
4 wraiths.

I wont go into much detail on this one. What more or less happened was that I deployed archers, 2xshadows, prince and a unit of spears on my right flank, faced by his lord, black knights, 5 bats, 5 wolves. the other stuff on the other flank/middle.

what pretty much happened was: He got first turn, advanced, a volley from everyone wiped out the bats, prince rolled a 1 to hit solo vamp lord. Then his lord charged my lord + 5 shadows. I stand and shot, rolled a 1 again.

Loec. Challenge. Swing. 3 wounds. GG.

------------------------------

So Nagarythe is 3-0 so far. Another post later with comments on my 2k and 2250 lists. I have a lot to say.
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

Eärendil

#16 Post by Eärendil »

I have to say I am very impressed at how well you did with a list that looks very sub-optimal to me :D Great job. I think I will try to be more adventurous in the future in what I include in my lists on account of reading this. Keep up the good work and keep posting about your exploits.
army blog: http://ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25300
Arhain

#17 Post by Arhain »

Finally someone else using spears. I went up against skaven just yesterday and had spears. Everyone around the table all decided it was "hate on high elf spears" day and ridiculed me for taking them. Now, it was mostly just playful teasing cause it's my local gaming group. But the point stands dammit! Everyone hates on spears, but I love em.

Hmmm, I want to see this list go up against a heavy magic list. You have the model count and potential magic defense (assuming you can get drain to work). Still, it would be interesting to see. Keep it coming man.
"BLOOD AND BERRYWINE!"
[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z191/IronFistLeague/obsidian_order_b.png[/img]

[url=http://iflleague.s4.bizhat.com/index.php?mforum=iflleague]Northern Virginia Gaming[/url]
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=47961]Approach to Balance[/url]
Spiked-Lord

#18 Post by Spiked-Lord »

it seems too plain somehow... yet cool...

On Reavers it says that elves from all around came to join the regiments, not just ellyrions. If i was you I would take them as the Nagarythe elves that went and use just bows for shadow warriors on horses.

Just an Idea
Cheesy vampire players take the o out of vampire counts!
[img]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr315/spiked-lord/BannerPNGVersion.png[/img]
Griffon Prince

#19 Post by Griffon Prince »

Great Reports, Lord Anathir, and grats on those victories!
I'm curious as to how your list(s) would do against T4 armies with good armor. My area has a lot of those so I tend to fight many an uphill battle.
Lord Anathir

#20 Post by Lord Anathir »

Alright lost to lizards 2250
I was using:
4 Eagles
5 Shadow Warriors
5 Shadow Warriors
24 Spears, FC 241
24 Spears, FC 241
10 Archers
10 Archers
10 Archers
Noble, BSB, Amulet of Light, talisman of saphery, GW, DA
Lvl 2, Seer, Scroll

Slann, free dice
skink priest in engine
mounted hero with a 1 time 2+ ward and 4 st5 attacks
11 skinks + krox, banner ( so they're in 5x3)
3 krox
3 krox
3 krox
ancient steg, engine
14 or so saurus
14 or so temple guard
10 skinks
10 skinks
10 skinks

Well I had bowmen line up in the middle with 2 infantry on side and 1 spear unit behind them. Pretty much what happened was that his hero soloed out of a unit into my bsb's unit and held there long enough for the stegadon to come in and break it. pretty much it was like playing skaven, but i didnt castle properly and the steg is very tough to kill. he just had a lot of units and I tried to engage 2 waves of coldblooded guys with 3 units.

Maybe I shouldve castled like I did when I was outnumbered against skaven. Lizards have some good stuff. Engine of the Gods is a steal, magic is still dirt cheap and very good, they're like ITP troops that can flee and are the toughest non unbreakable troops in the game. Temple guard are t4 2+ armor, and skinks are 5 pts for 6+ armor, javelins w poison, m6 and coldblooded. Just before the 1st game of this post I defeated a new lizard list, so they're not invincible, but still very very good; a country mile better then warriors and nearly equal to DE and Vamps.

Prince once again did great, killed 2 kroxigors first turn alone, and killed a couple more and his bsb. Perhaps it would've been better if he deployed with the spears instead of scouting the shadows. No flank shots but he might have helped out dealing with the hero.

Lord Anathir

#21 Post by Lord Anathir »

List Review:

Negatives:

Okay.

Another army, and I've got same goddamn problems. 5th Edition was herohammer, 6th was cavalryhammer, 7th is bloody Monsterhammer. Since wood elves we've seen treemen, steam tanks, varghulfs, black coaches, hydras, stegadons all of which cause massive problems.

Really we don't have many options. These new monsters are remarkably resilient to shooting and exist in armies that have solid magic defense. Diverting and stalling them works to a certain extent but it is far from foolproof, it virtually guarantees not getting a big win.

Magic does nothing, has to go. I was keeping it around to stall dragons, but its far from a reliable solution. Find mages places in your battle line where they won't get engaged and will get line of sight and range is just a pain. My units need freedom to move where/when they want.

Shadow warriors aren't working well for me. The little 5 man squads are great in theory, but they're barely enough to kill warmachines and when they scout they don't get to shoot often. They won't be dropped so I'll give thought to changing how I use them. 2 units of 5 is only 160 points, so its not a big deal in the end.

I need magical attacks. Amulet has to find its way in the list.

Flyers are tough to deal with. Flying monsters are murder.

Positives:

Prince is great! his equpiment doesn't change.

Solid marchblocking and redirecting. Shouldn't be relied on too much though.

thats it.

--------------------------
a new list tomorrow.

Si'anelle of Avelorn
Dreamer of Worlds

#22 Post by Si'anelle of Avelorn »

Yay! - well done! That's what I like to see, a good solid core army with big blocks of spears and archers in support.

3 really great victories to prove the success of your Shadowlands Army. Brilliant :D
[img]http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa276/Sianelleofavelorn/Warhammer/webbanner.jpg[/img]
geoguswrek

#23 Post by geoguswrek »

I have an offering for you, its not amazing though its the best i could think of while trying to keep into your fluff rules and fix some of your problems.

Noble Bsb, AoC, amulet of light, gw
Noble, armour of stars, gem of courage, gw
mage, 2 scrolls

3 x 10 archers
24 Spears, FC, lion standard
2x24 spears FC
15 spears (points filler)

2x5 shadow warriors

4 eagles.

2249 points.
Now if we look at your negatives:
Lord Anaithir wrote: Another army, and I've got same goddamn problems. 5th Edition was herohammer, 6th was cavalryhammer, 7th is bloody Monsterhammer. Since wood elves we've seen treemen, steam tanks, varghulfs, black coaches, hydras, stegadons all of which cause massive problems.

Really we don't have many options. These new monsters are remarkably resilient to shooting and exist in armies that have solid magic defense. Diverting and stalling them works to a certain extent but it is far from foolproof, it virtually guarantees not getting a big win.

i've put in the only option available to you: an armour of stars noble in a big unit of spears, if a monster charges in the front its guaranteed to lose by lots. alternatively run the noble out of the unit (ensure a favourable overrun) and then you only lose half a cheap noble and put the monster where you wish

Magic does nothing, has to go. I was keeping it around to stall dragons, but its far from a reliable solution. Find mages places in your battle line where they won't get engaged and will get line of sight and range is just a pain. My units need freedom to move where/when they want.

dropped the mages for 1 level 1

Shadow warriors aren't working well for me. The little 5 man squads are great in theory, but they're barely enough to kill warmachines and when they scout they don't get to shoot often. They won't be dropped so I'll give thought to changing how I use them. 2 units of 5 is only 160 points, so its not a big deal in the end.

maybe use them as march blockers, freeing the eagles to do warmachine hunting and redirecting, if desperate, shadow warriors make good redirectors too (by a screw up in the rules which forces units to charge backwards)

I need magical attacks. Amulet has to find its way in the list.

amulet is on the bsb

Flyers are tough to deal with. Flying monsters are murder.

flying monsters are murder for anyone. the seafarer isn't bad against them though (its possibly the HE's best option short of a dragon) the armour of star noble is your best shot (with your restrictions anyway) and if facing a big nasty i'd put him and the bsb in the lion standard unit, giving you (if flank charged: outnumber, 2 banners to his wound, flank, guaranteeing a win, allowing you to 1) turn to face, 2) flank with something of your own.) i find if presented with the opportunity to charge the flank of a big, double character unit (don't make it too obvious) the dragon will normally go for it, and if you set this up you are pretty much home free.
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Spiked-Lord

#24 Post by Spiked-Lord »

just spam beast cowers and ignore it...
Cheesy vampire players take the o out of vampire counts!
[img]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr315/spiked-lord/BannerPNGVersion.png[/img]
Cyrannoc

#25 Post by Cyrannoc »

hmm, howbout sumthin like this:

whynot include LOTS more shadow warriors!!

2 x units of 20 Shadow Warriors (devided up as you see fit into smaller units and bigger, ultra shooty units)

4 Grey Sea Eagles (regular eagles, but nagarythe themed)

2 x units of 5x Raven Heralds (ellyrian reavers) 1 shooty, 1 spiky

1x unit of Raven Guards (lothern seaguard, your shooty anvil)

+ your usual character choices

I might get some hate for this, but you could also plonk in a unit of 'Nagarythe Wardens' - (aka swordmasters painted all Nagarythe-like)

(in my mind the army should be as fast and shooty as possible, ditch the bolt throwers, they will just slow you down! (how would the nagarythe forces hide them/move them quikly anyway?

righto, gotta go catch a bid on ebay!!!
Lord Anathir

#26 Post by Lord Anathir »

Alright, I was thinking about armor of the stars, folirath's robe and a 3rd Noble like geo suggested, so I think it won't be such a bad idea.

Prince, Bow of the Seafarer, Shadow Armor, Great Weapon, Talisman of Loec
Noble, BSB, Radiant Gem of Hoeth, Great Weapon, Dragon Armor
Noble, Amulet of Light, Armor of the Stars, Great Weapon, Dragon Armor
Lvl 1, 2x Scrolls
10 Archers
10 Archers
24 Spears, FC, ellyrion
24 Spears, FC
20 Spears, FC
5 Shadows
5 Shadows
4 Eagles
(1997 pts)
20 Spears, FC
+3 shadow warriors
(~2250)

That looks a little better. When I get some time I'll try it out! cheers all.

Alquawen

#27 Post by Alquawen »

Why not give the noble the bow, and the Prince the CC role (if thats what you intended..) They both have the same BS and it seems like a little bit of a waste having a better CC character with a bow, but i am prepared to be corrected!

Its good that you're not just proxying yet, such as Pheonix guard for "shadow guard" or something silly. Looks a tough list.

Any models painted up yet?
geoguswrek

#28 Post by geoguswrek »

Alquawen: its the 60 pt bow hes given his lord: the bolt thrower one
DAMN THE VENOM SWORD
Alquawen

#29 Post by Alquawen »

Alquawen: its the 60 pt bow hes given his lord: the bolt thrower one
Goodness, so it is.

Yeah, good choice. Sorry.
geoguswrek