HE win another Tourney !!

Place to discuss anything related to tabletop wargaming that isn't covered by the other forums.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

babalubeaga

#61 Post by babalubeaga »

@ Silent
It is refreshing to see someone have success without using the 2 powerbuild styles that everyone believes we have to in order for HE to win (or even be competitive for that matter).
There are always a lot of haters out there, but please keep posting your lists even if they come in below 1st place, I find them very inspirational for ideas for my own army lists and have learned a thing or two already.
Chariots for war machines, how truly great LSG are, reaver bow over starlance, etc. Maybe those are commonly known things to veteran players, but they weren't for me.
While I don't play the tournament scene, it is nice to be able to field a HE army that can compete and doesn't get called out a cheesy once the opponent sees you deploy. We all like to have fun or else we wouldn't do this, that even applies to the people we play against.
thanks
ZehKaiser

#62 Post by ZehKaiser »

haha, i remember this thread, its almost a year old now! While its nice that a list besides the two power ones did win, you also have to bear in mind that the tournament scene was dramatically different a year ago... A year ago HE were one of the top dogs instead of middle of the pack, like we are now. It is this dramatic shift in the tournament scene that has produced the two power builds you alluded to babalubeaga....
[url=http://podhammer.net][img]http://podhammer.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/heuser.jpg[/img][/url]
Elrohir T?wele

#63 Post by Elrohir T?wele »

While I love SeaGuard so much my current army is themed around then, the 6'' archers have over them is more importain then you may think, notably being able to shoot across the deployment zone. If you manage to score the first turn, you'll have two full rounds of un interupted shooting against blackpowder move or shoot weapons and not haveing the additional -1 to hit for moving in range can mean a lot more hits before your opponent has even done anything save rolled a few dispel die.
I like SeaGuard as a defensive unit the protects EaglesClaws because, like people have said, opponents think twice about charging them with light units. They can shoot, stand and shoot, and still get all there attacks. They are also flexible enought that they can charge if needed while still getting more attacks then your enemy may think for. With 1point shields that can be two points of armor when used with handweapons, SeaGuard can fill multiple role on the tabletop in a single gaming session.

SeaGuard are great in small units and are the most veritile of our three core choices, but for massed fire think twice about archers, and if your looking for static combat res (2+ rank bonus) then spearmen are a better, more cost effective unit.
Armilthuan

#64 Post by Armilthuan »

silentdeath wrote:The chariots actually really played a big part in the success and I will be using them again, they perform several tasks, they war machine hunt, their movement rate is staggering, baiting and fleeing is also fun.
FINALLY! Someone who knows how to use chariots. I use mine in pretty much the same way but all I got was laughed at.

Thank you for proving my point. I'm glad you could win with a list without a dragon. Something I've been trying for some time...
Eltherion

#65 Post by Eltherion »

I have used this list upgraded to 2.5k and it works well.

Also swapping out the Prince for Teclis for a more Magic Heavy version of the list.
2008-2013 Wins:Draws:Losses
7th Ed High Elves 18 : 9 : 4 Bargle Con I, Best General, 3rd Overall
New High Elf Book 16 : 1 : 5 Bargle Con II, 2nd Overall, Conviction 2nd Overall & Best Sportsman

MSU List: http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=48650
Jhaantikaal

#66 Post by Jhaantikaal »

Quite true about the use of tiranoc chariots - ours are so light that this is the only real use for them - a good use all the same.