Ulthuan

Ulthuan, Home of the Asur
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 6th Edition List Help
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:33 pm 

Hey guys, I've been increasingly tempted by the 6th edition revival that's going on. Despite our awful book I loved 6th edition, the artwork, models and fluff were for me the apex of WFB. I want to go to some tournaments next year but really don't want to do the all cavalry list (it's too hard a list I think, and I don't want to paint that many silverhelms lol), or the seaguard list (which iirc was pretty boring to play after the pregame shenangians) however I remember how awful our infantry was... The tournaments seem to allow just about any of the vast amount of GW published stuff during 6th, so I've been thinking of making use of that.

I've been playing around with taking a dragon. I know they weren't too highly rated in 6th, and if you face cannons it's not going to be pretty, though not as bad as in 8th I think, and I think there's potential to support them quite well.

Here's the list I've come up with so far:

Prince
- Dragon
- Pure of Heart, Dragon Armour, Lance,
- Enchanted Shield, Fusil of Conflagration, Ring of Fury , Sacred Incense

Mage (sits in archer bunker)
- Lvl 2
- Seer, Dispel Scroll

Truthsayer (Hero & Rare Choice, goes with swordmasters)

11 Archers
- Standard, Champion

5 Silver Helms
- Heavy Armour, Shield

5 Silver Helms
- Heavy Armour, Shield

17 Swordmasters
- Full Command, Blessed Tome, Banner of Arcane Protection

5 Ellyrian Reavers

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

TOTAL: 1996 pts

It's a very small list, but I think quite potent. The idea with the dragon is to get into flanks, zone, and try and make as much use of the double breath weapon as possible, if he gets the bound spell of too that's a huge amount of fire power, even against cavalry it will just force so many saves.

The truthsayer I think is a really interesting option that can support the dragon and swordmasters well, his magic is potentially really useful, can grant a 5+ ward save, heal a wound all over the table, and the +1 to hit spell is great, boon of courage can make the swordmasters a huge problem for any enemy unit too. Also the model's fantastic! A fenbeast would be nice but I think RBT's are essential.

I'm not sure if banner of saphery would be a better option than arcane protection, but that unit's going to have a target on it's back. There's no BSB, because keeping one alive is so hard for HBE in 6th, but with blessed tome the swordmasters are on LD10, and pure of heart makes the dragon immune to panic.

Use seer on the mage to take curse of arrow attraction and fury of khaine I think, curse with 2 breath weapons and the bolt throwers could be really nasty.

I'm also wondering, is it possible to make the Truthsayer the general and avoid intrigue at court (what a stupid rule).

Would really appreciate any feedback, I haven't played 6th since I think 2005 lol. I'm hoping that the kind of quirky nature of the list will catch people off guard, and be fun to play too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:00 pm 

First off, I agree with you, 6th edition is absolutely the best in WHFB and I am very glad to hear the news there is a revival going on (Is there a forum where people are putting together a lot of 6th edition stuff?).

It's a very small list and I think something like a shooty Empire list could bring you some awful pain. I'd consider some more core just to soak up damage.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:30 pm 

Olthannon wrote:
First off, I agree with you, 6th edition is absolutely the best in WHFB and I am very glad to hear the news there is a revival going on (Is there a forum where people are putting together a lot of 6th edition stuff?).

It's a very small list and I think something like a shooty Empire list could bring you some awful pain. I'd consider some more core just to soak up damage.

Thanks for your reply man I'll have a play around with it, it is a bit small... Want something fun and competitive that isn't all cavalry.

Yeah I was pretty surprised but it turns out a lot of people miss it, some are even 8th ed players trying it for the first time. There's a Warhammer Fantasy Battles 6th edition group on facebook (that's the name) where a lot of stuff is being posted, and you can check the files section for some handy stuff. Also the Middlehammer facebook group is amazing.

You can also check out these podcasts:

The Old World Lives: https://theoldworldlives.podbean.com/ a really cool 6th edpodcast, they talk about the fluff a lot, and one of the guys has been going to the events in London with a fantastic Kislev army you can see on their instagram account.

Back to the Futurehammer: https://soundcloud.com/jonathon-chester a 6th ed UK one I just found today actually

The Elector Counts:https://soundcloud.com/eye-of-horus-podcast - an australian 8th edition podcast, but they've had interviews with the Perry Twins and Tuomas Pirinen (writer of 6th Edition & Mordheim), and are half way through a high elf book review.

There's also a group of Spanish guys who are making 6th ed rules for all the models that came after, English translations will be released later this year, but thanks to google translate they're pretty easy to make sense of now even if you don't speak spanish. They're doing a pretty good job I have to say and it's quite professionally done, although they've changed the distances to metric:

https://www.cargad.com/index.php/manuscritos-de-nuth/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:46 pm 

Ok decided to go with something a bit more vanilla to relearn the game a bit with (and to make use a bit more of what I have painted...). Also realising that a lot of people play empire and dwarves, and bolt thrower armed races, and that ain't gonna be fun for the dragon.

Archmage
- lvl 4, pure of heart
- silver wand, dispel scroll, sacred incense, ring of fury

Mage
- lvl 2
- ring of corin, jewel of the dusk

10 Archers

20 Spearmen
- full command

5 Silverhelms
- heavy armour, shield

18 swordmasters
- full command
- blessed tome, banner of arcane protection

5 Dragon Princes
- full command
- banner of sorcery

Tiranoc chariot

Tiranoc chariot

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Bolt thrower

Bolt thrower

Total: 1999pts

I'm not sure that swordmasters can take a charge too well but at just 2ppm more than spearmen they seem a bit of a bargain, and who doesn't love swordmasters haha. Essentially it's a balanced counter attacking list, having no idea of meta or power level so I've really no idea if it could be competitive though. I'd forgotten how limited our options were in 6th ed with white lions and phoenix guard being so hard to take coming out of rare (and a bit rubbish...). It's quite magic heavy, an average of 11 power dice a phase plus 2 bound spells, so I think with the shooting it can force the opposition to come to my line. I'm concerned about the lack of a bsb, but can't really figure out any effective builds for him on foot. I considered giving one the reaver bow and putting him the bunker, would have to lose the lvl 2 to do this, but not sure it's worth it.

Would really appreciate any thoughts or feedback :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:04 pm 

Just for fun tried a double dragon list using Asarnil:

Prince
- Great Weapon, Shield, Dragon
- Sacred Incense, Armour of Protection, Pure of Heart

Asarnil the Dragonlord

8 Silver Helms
- Heavy armour, shield
- Full command

8 Silver Helms
- Heavy armour, shield
- Full command

8 Silver Helms
- Heavy armour, shield
- Full command

Tiranoc Chariot

Tiranoc Chariot

Tiranoc Chariot

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Total: 1996 pts

If I could afford to pick up Asarnil and could find a willing opponent I'd try this, reckon it would be seriously nasty even with no magic, so fast and hard hitting, double terror bombs would wreack absolute havoc with low leadership armies. Silverhelms just there for some static res.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:13 pm 
Green Istari

The double dragon list looks quite dangerous going forwards, though lack of magic could be an issue.

I know the advent of the Star Dragon with 7th Edition made a Monster list much more dangerous. But such lists were good for several armies at that time. I can’t quite recall why, compared to 6th.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=70001