First Draft of Dragon Mage Background

Have a story, then you come here.

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Arkarian

First Draft of Dragon Mage Background

#1 Post by Arkarian »

Hey guys. Long time follower of Ulthuan.net first time poster.

This is the first draft of my background for my Dragon Mage character, and also includes my Archmage as well. Never really done this before, so please let me know what you think.

---

Nicolina jolted awake and blinked rapidly, trying to get her bearings. Where she expected to see an austere darkened cell, thick curtains surrounded her and lavender scented candles cast wild shadows against the wall. After a heart-stopping moment she recognised her childhood room, and sank back onto sweat-soaked pillows. Even away from the White Tower, the dreams still plagued her. She meditated as she’d been taught, trying to calm her soul, even as her head ached from visions of blood and fire. The dreams were getting worse. Where at first she had heard little but the clash of swords and shields, now the visions of blood were accompanied by screams of terror. The sound of the hated druchii laughter would assault her ears, and her last feeling as the flames rose up and claimed her was rage. Always at this point she woke, clutching her sheets and crying softly. The screams of terror reverberated through her head as she rose and moved to the window.

The moon hung low in the dark Caledorian sky, casting its glow over the courtyard. As she stepped onto the balcony, she felt the moonlight bathe her slender form; the screams finally faded as she spread her outstretched arms and closed her eyes. She felt a comforting presence and reached out with her spirit. Even from across the Inner Sea, her sister could feel her turmoil. Ariella had almost completed her formal training at the Tower, and her skills were much more developed. Nicolina concentrated all her willpower and managed to brush her sister’s presence with her mind. This brief touch was barely enough to convey her gratitude, but she knew it would be enough. Feeling calm and centred, she turned around and returned to her bed. She could almost smell the presence of her sister, and smiled slightly as she drifted off to sleep.

Ariella moved gracefully through the darkened hall of the Tower. It took a large part of her formidable willpower to keep her thoughts in check as she hurried towards the chamber of Life. As she cracked open the door, she saw the large chamber filled with teeming life, from plants and insects to a small grove where ethereal creatures flitted just out of sight. She reached her favourite clearing and sunk to her knees.

As she ran through her calming techniques, she allowed her consciousness to expand and observed the chamber through the eyes of a bird, flitting from tree to tree. Concentrating her willpower, she merged with the bird, whispering softly to him, requesting the use of his strong wings. She smiled gratefully as the bird whistled happily and directed him westwards, across the Inner Sea. After a few minutes, the bird, his strong wings boosted by her gentle manipulation of the ethereal winds, the bird crested the Dragon Spine mountains and arrowed towards the House Sunraer estate. After a moment, the creature found her target, and alighted upon a windowsill.

Ariella observed her young sister’s features silently, a slight smile playing across her lips. Nicolina’s raven hued hair was splashed around wildly. She was sleeping peacefully, for which Ariella was thankful, having been awoken by her distress earlier that evening.

Ariella felt another presence near her, standing a respectful distance away, but observing her. She thanked the bird softly, and drew her consciousness back to her body. Her eyes slowly opened, and she could see her blond hair floating around her, glowing from her manipulation of the winds of magic.

“Ariella, I did not expect to see you at such an early hour. What troubles you?” The soft, masculine voice radiated confidence.

“Master Bellanaer, forgive me. I hoped the chamber of Ghyran would help me find clarity and peace. My sister is tormented, and I am unable to assist her. Even this far from our home I can feel her anguish.” Tears welled in her eyes, unbidden, and trailed softly down her pale cheek.

The Master of the Swordmasters stepped forward into her vision and kneeled opposite her. “Nicolina is strong Ariella. Fear not, for she will find her way. The Loremaster himself feels her pain. Even when they are away from the Tower, he watches over his students.”

Ariella felt her face crease in surprise. The Loremaster knows of this? “I fear her dreams will harm her. She is strong-willed but our people have strong emotions, and these visions of blood and fire cause her such pain.”

“Ariella, you should get some rest. You are excused from attending class today. You should probably be teaching it anyway. As for your sister, she is a princess of House Sunraer, one of Caledor’s finest families. She will find her way. If the call of Aqshy is so strong, perhaps Asuryan has a different path in mind for her.”

Ariella rose swiftly to her feet, and bowed respectfully to the Master, before exiting the chamber.

Nicolina entered the kitchen quietly, feeling the bright rays of the morning sun warm her face as she reached for a piece of fruit. Tereane turned and smiled at her youngest daughter, as she prepared a morning feast to celebrate her return.
“Good morning Nicolina, how did you sleep?”

Nicolina sighed tiredly and smiled. “I slept well enough mother. Some dreams, but they are common enough.” Her mother frowned as she turned back to the plate of fruit, adding more portions.

“I don’t like both my daughters going so far away and learning such dangerous arts. You should be home, living your lives.” She pursed her lips, and motioned Nicolina out the door. “This is hardly a topic for such a fine day. Go on and enjoy yourself. In a few days I will have lost you again to that awful place and your Winds of Magic.”

“Yes mother, but I don’t understand why I even have to return. I have mastered the Burning Wind of Aqshy. And all the other winds are boring when compared to the power of Fire.” She ran out the door, her dreams forgotten and oblivious to her mother’s worried gaze.

The screams of terror and pain pierced the darkness. Nicolina writhed in bed, tears splashing down her face. She screamed in agony as her head threatened to explode. Her eyes bore witness to a terrifying rain of blood as flames erupted all around.

Nicolina!!!! She leaped out of bed, tasting copper in her mouth as she accidentally bit down hard on her lip. For a moment, she felt a sense of relief as the dream ended. The moment stretched for an eternity, then was shattered by a piercing scream. Suddenly, a cacophany of sounds assaulted her ears, and she realised the horrible truth. This was no dream. The screams pierced the night sky, and the smell of blood was in the air. She rushed to the balcony and almost fainted. Flames covered the entire estate. It was just like in her dreams, and she was just as powerless to help. She jumped off the balcony and landed heavily, before rushing off to find her mother.

She knew, in her heart, that her mother was in trouble. She could still hear the echoes of her name running through her head. It had been her mother’s voice. As she rounded the corner she caught her first glimpse of the attackers. A screeching elf appeared in front of her, the firelight reflecting off her lithe, tattooed body. She screamed at the top of her lungs as she threw herself at Nicolina. “Blood for Khaine!”

A Woodsman’s axe flew out of nowhere and lodged itself in her naked chest. The force of the throw propelled her broken body backwards, away from Nicolina. A shadow passed the frightened Mage, and she saw a lion-cloaked figure rip the axe from the witch elf. “He can have your blood then you bitch.” He spat on her corpse and turned towards Nicolina. He dropped to a knee as he spoke.
“Lady, we must leave. The druchhi are here.”

Nicolina looked frantically around. “We can’t leave! I must find my mother!” She turned away from the man and ran towards her mother’s chambers. The fear grew stronger, and lent her speed. Within thirty seconds, she could see the balcony and her heart skipped a beat as she saw a figure standing in the moonlight. Her mother looked directly at her, and the terror in her eyes was obvious. “Nicolina! Run away! You must survive!”

From behind Tereane a figure appeared, a dark purple sheen covering her naked skin. She cackled loudly and gestured towards Tereane. Dark clinging bands of black encircled Tereane, and her scream of terror turned to one of agony. With a last gasp, she sank to the ground and the druchhi sorceress screeched exultantly.

Nicolina witnessed the last breath of her mother, and time came to a halt. She felt the terror on the air, tasted the fear as elves ran screaming for their lives. She heard the cackling glee of witch elves as they slaughtered her kinsmen, smelled the dried blood caking the invaders’ bodies. Her eyes clenched shut as images of blood and fire wracked her body once more. She saw the death of her mother, watched the life crushed out of her, and the blood-soaked smile of the sorceress.

No! She opened her eyes. The sorceress had turned her attention to her, and leapt off the balcony. Nicolina’s entire body burned with rage. She closed her eyes in despair, and loosed a cry of anguish. Her cry pierced the dark Caledorian sky, as an answering roar soared across the Dragonspine Mountains. Through sightless eyes she felt the Sorceress stalking closer, and felt the Wind of Aqshy welling up inside her. When the heat became unbearable she opened her eyes, and thrust her hand towards the Sorceress. A ball of fire leaped from her outstreched hand and engulfed the Sorceress. Even as her mother’s killer burned to death, her cackles turning to screams of pain, Nicolina turned away from her. She saw a dozen witch elves running across the courtyard, chasing some of the maids of the estate. Her rage fuelled a hail of burning stones that eviscerated the witch elves where they stood. She stalked across the courtyard, raining fiery death and destruction on the druchii invaders wherever she found them. From across the square, she saw a coven of three sorceresses drawiing heavily from the winds of magic in order to counter her own. She felt the comforting heat of Aqshy draining from her body and prepared herself to die.

A defeaning roar shattered the air, and a fiery, serpentine form arrowed from the sky. The sorceresses looked up in terror, their last sight that of fiery vengeance descending and bathing them in searing fire. Nicolina watched disbelievingly as the Sorceresses were immolated. Completely drained, she dropped to cold ground and allowed the darkness to weclome her into sweet oblivion.

Nicolina felt as if she was swimming through a pool of darkness. She could see a point of light far above, and bent her will towards it. Slowly, achingly slowly the light grew larger, until she broke the surface, and found herself laying outstreched on the ground. She gingerly looked around, feeling the blinding ache that permeated every part of her body. A thunderous sound pummelled her head, and she realised it was speech.

You are alive child. It warms my heart to see you wake, for I have waited thousands of years to hear your voice.

She looked around frantically, regretting it immediately as a lance of agony shot through her pounding head. As here eyes grew accustomed to the dawning light she saw a fiery shape in front of her. After a few moments it resolved into the shape of a fiery-hued dragon, and she leaped backwards. “Y-y-you’re a Dragon!” Realising her rudeness, she forced herself to move closer. She curtsied slowly and made eye contact with the dragon.
“Forgive me noble Dragon. My heart despairs.” The dragon stretched out and looked into her eyes.

Think nothing of it Nicolina. It pains me that I did not hear your call sooner. I weep for your loss.

She moved closer to him, and felt her blood rise, as she got closer. When she was a pace away she stretched out her hand and lightly brushed his scales. She closed her eyes and felt her blood sing. Unbidden, a name came to her mind.

Allairion. I can hear you in my mind, and my blood sings to you. She opened her eyes, and saw his eyes looking straight at her, just a few feet away.

You know my name just as I know your voice. I have waited thousands of years for you to wake me. We are bonded by blood now, and we shall soar the skies together.

Nicolina felt her heart harden and looked up at the rising Caledorian sun. “Yes we will soar the skies together. And together, we will bring terror to the druchii. They will rue the day thay awakened the wrath of House Sunraer.”
Larose
Chronicler

Re: First Draft of Dragon Mage Background

#2 Post by Larose »

I like it, that is all lol. No it was a good intro for your characters, keep it comin :D
Shadowy member of The Mage Knight Guild

Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they least expect it.

Only in your darkest hour, will you triumph over true evil.