Rainbows

Re: Part 28-2. - The Shadow Knights

#91 Post by Aicanor »

Nice, loose ends are starting to come together... :D
Larose
Chronicler

Re: Part 28-2. - The Shadow Knights

#92 Post by Larose »

Haha yea sorry there may be a few half parts to come as I'm trying to get them out as fast as I can but life has been busy lately

Part 29

The morning wind had been steady throughout the night and kept the 'SilverMist' at a steady pace towards the Citadel of Dusk, which could be seen in the distance with the morning light cresting the horizon.
Calehir watched the sun rise from the forecastle of the ship in silent thought, the nights had become short and the sea calmed his nerves. His mind had become rather restless from the conversation with Velnos only a few nights past, and it consumed him at every moment.

How could his family be in a secret war without his knowledge, how could his mother keep such things from him? He could have helped, he could have done something to stop the madness from consuming those close to him. The Draconis name soiled with such treachery, and now he was in flight from his kin who would brand him a cultist! This Sefian Brakist would feel his blade by the end of this, that he would make sure of.

"Troubling thoughts I assume." Came a voice from behind, and was followed by a familiar screech from a bird of prey.

"Captain is it so obvious?" He replied without turning his gaze from the glowing sea ahead and the orange hued coastline. The lap of the waves against the hull of the ship brought a soothing rhythm, as Calehir realized there was something peaceful with life at sea.

" Well a prince gazing out to sea can be familiar to most, though a enlightening conversation with the mysterious Velnos has led me to believe otherwise. He decided it was clear I was also being hunted after our encounter with the kings agent; my close association with prince Althran in Copher is most likely the cause." Soretu spoke in a quiet tone and came to stand beside Calehir.

"I see you are not wearing your armor." Soretu continued and placed his hands on the rail with a forward lean.

"That armor is made for a prince of Ulthuan... a prince of Caledor, which I am no longer." Calehir replied slowly as his tongue felt raw from the words he spoke, and his hand began to twitch with rage.

"And your sword?"

"Will stay with me to the bitter end." Calehir responded quickly and felt his heart sink with his final words, as his thoughts raced with no clear purpose.

"Well that could come rather sooner then you would wish with a lucky arrow or a sharp blade..." Soretu paused and hesitated with his last words as he turned to face Calehir.

"I welcome them to try." Is all that came to mind as the conversation was becoming frustrating, though Soretu continued on.

"Well that is one manner of thinking... for someone without responsibilities, yet I have seen how you look at her and that is not something to throw to the wind. Adalinusi is the essence of the fate that has brought us here and we will see this through, I have seen who you are... we all have."
The captains hand found Calehir's shoulder as he made to leave and left him to gaze upon the Citadel port that was fast approaching.

It was decently large for a strategic deep sea port on the edge of the world and would surely have a decent population with a large garrison. Calehir could now see numerous shadowed masts from the many ships that lay at anchor in the deep bay; further on were the docks that rested at the bottom of a tier'd city, which rose up a hill to where a tall citadel tower commanded the area from its position on the cliffs that bordered the city.
It was no where near the size of Copher, though for its location it was rather remarkable and said to have been built on a great location of power.
The city's defenses became apparent as Calehir noticed the many eagle claw bolt throwers that littered the city's multiple walls and the cliffs overhead, which were all surely pointed at the unknown ship sailing towards them.

With a bit of luck the warden of the city would be unaware of their transgressions, hopefully Calehir thought and made his way back below deck.

The 'SilverMist' had a remarkable smoothness to her craftsmanship that made it a beautiful masterpiece of art, though what Soretu enjoyed the most was the numerous scars she bore from their countless encounters during his reign of Captain. She had been fresh off the docks just as he had been promoted for a command of his own, both eager to protect the colonies of the Empire.
The scars were reminders of the steep learning curves that came through warfare and every scratch had a story to tell.

Soretu ran his fingers along the wood grains on the bridge of the ship, the main deck was bustling with activity and the riggings were littered with his crew as they all prepared to lay anchor.
He was waiting for Zen'istor as he had finally made one of the hardest decisions yet, and it ached his heart with every moment.

The dark red haired mage took little time to arrive as always and brought a slight smile as Soretu watched the mage's black robes flutter chaotically from the gusts of wind that followed the coastline.

"Captain, you wished to speak with me?" He asked while preoccupied with some parchments he carried in his hands.

Soretu held back his reply as he brought his officers saber up into view and held it out across his outstretched hands.
He had always preferred his long sword in combat, though for traditions sake and as a mark of status, the saber was kept safe and only brought out for ceremonial events.
Zen'istors eyes widened as Soretu finally found the courage to speak.

" You have done well and have yet to fail me throughout all these long years at sea, my friend there is no other that I would choose to command this mighty warship and to lead my crew with honor. This ship was crafted to protect the people of the colonies and I am no longer fit to command her." Soretu paused for a response though soon realized his arcane friend was in shock so he continued. "You are to take the 'SilverMist' back East, away from all the turmoil of the courts and you will continue to do what she did best. Also re-name her as you see fit, I fear her present name will only bring grief down the road; this will be my last order for you Zen'istor it is time you rose to the occasion."

"Soretu this is madness, I am the navigator and a practitioner of the arcane arts not a captain of a ship." He responded uncertainly and began to shuffle nervously where he stood.

"If you haven't noticed, you have commanded this ship through thick and thin and I regret this decision has been forced by an unseen hand. My journey will continue with Calehir and though you may come across unsettling information in the future, remember us as who we were and not what they say." His response seemed to confuse his friend even further and so he proceeded to hand the saber over to Zen'istors shaking hands. "Pull yourself together captain, this is no time to get emotional on me." Soretu continued and finished with a smile.

"It has been an honor to serve under you Soretu, and you will always be my Captain." Responded Zen'istor as his grip tightened around the saber with a new resolve, and brought a sense of relief to Soretu.

"Release the anchor!" The Mage shouted as he turned and walked to the rail overlooking the main deck.
Shadowy member of The Mage Knight Guild

Attack when they are unprepared, make your move when they least expect it.

Only in your darkest hour, will you triumph over true evil.
Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Part 29. - The Shadow Knights

#93 Post by Aicanor »

I am a little afraid renaming her will not be enough to avoid trouble. :shock:
Larose
Chronicler

Re: Part 29. - The Shadow Knights

#94 Post by Larose »

Hahah as if anyone in my story can avoid trouble ;) it seems to come looking for you, not much I can do about that :lol:

Realllyyy sorry about the delay, crazy month now I know why Headshot takes time off of writing #-o

But I scraped this one together to keep the ball rolling !

Part 29-2

The eerie silence that had accompanied the morning shadows, was now replaced by a city bustling with activity from merchant vendors, traders and the crews from the many ships that waited in the deep bay.
Though unlike Copher, the presence of humans was non-existent and Adalinusi would catch the odd suspicious glance as the elves carried on with their business.

They had spent a good portion of the morning purchasing supplies as though the ship had another destination, while Velnos had ventured off to find their contact in the city and to provide the port master some falsified registry parchments. The Brakist family had countless connections, especially in port cities which could bring trouble rather quickly.
However, their group was visually intriguing and Ada was not sure how much use the parchments would be if someone were to know what to look for. Even she could see the differences between their group and the commoners around them. Tywin had been forced to wear his dark hooded robes once more and even Ada had resorted to the white silks with her armor at an attempt to look as Elven as possible.

"Hardly a secret that we are here..." She said to Calehir and Sontas who were standing next to her, as they all watched crates being loaded onto one of the small barges being used to supply the 'Elunas' or in other words the 'SilverMist'.

"There are times where hiding in plain sight can do you well, and here the Brakist influence is limited to the Wardens court which will take time for any information to reach them. Though if Velnos does not return soon things could get interesting." Came a weary reply from Sontas, as Soretu approached the small group.

"Agreed, we have lingered here long enough." Replied the Captain who happened to be feeding his hawk portions of fish from a pouch he carried in his off hand.

"Here they come now." Calehir interceded and began to walk through the markets towards Velnos and a strange maiden at his side.

Ada was not used to seeing Calehir blend in with the commoners, as his dark blue robes hung loosely and his massive sword slung across his back seemed to be the only thing she recognized.

" I am afraid your family grows once again Calehir, this is our sister Enori and yet another cousin to you." Velnos finished with a smile as the maiden acknowledged everyone. She had similar dark silver eyes like Velnos and identical dark straight hair, though it reached her waist and laid upon her intricate grey and black robes that carried a few arcane symbols. Enori's voice was charmingly lively and a drastic change to what she had become used to aboard the ship.

"It is a pleasure to meet you all, though this is not the time nor place. I will take you to 'Isha's Grace', an Inn not too far with a few family secrets." Enori said with a beautiful smile that seemed sincere yet came with the same hidden meanings like the two brothers.

"I grow weary of secrets." Came a reply from Calehir who clearly did not enjoy the complications that grew with each passing day.

"Noble hearts usually do, and here I had pondered countless nights as to why your mother had kept you from this life, only to have it all answered with a few words; come we must be on our way."

Despite Enori's charm, those final words had left them all in an awkward silence throughout the rest of the walk.

The Inn backed onto the wall of the second tier in the city and had been constructed with the same dark stone work that had very likely come from the surrounding cliffs. Though it was crafted with an elegance that she had not seen in Copher, a true elven city Adalinusi thought to herself and continued to admire the engravings upon the inn's walls whilst passing through the large oak door.
Music from a harp could be heard upon entering, and seemed to come from a tavern that was attached to the Inn, though they continued past the attaching door where some elves could be seen enjoying each others company.

"I am half inclined to join them." Came from behind to which Ada turned a quick glance to see Soretu linger as he passed the doorway.

To which she smiled and replied, " as would I if my presence did not put us at risk."

"Well perhaps I will just have the wine brought to us all then, I rather enjoyed those nights in Copher." Soretu continued and followed the group into a small back-room with a table at its center and a large fire place built into the far wall.

"A sea captain to the core I see, though hardly the time for celebration." Came from the silent Sontas as they all watched Enori place her hand on one of the mirrored torch sconces on the wall bordering the fireplace; she gave it a sharp twist and stepped aside. The very floor in front of Enori shifted and revealed a steep set of stairs that passed beneath the fireplace. "Come it is time to disappear."

Ada waited for the group to descend down the dimly lit staircase and watched Enori's eyes shift to the door that led to the main room, shouting could be heard from those in the tavern and caused her to hesitate for a moment before her decent.

"Did they just shout about a dragon?" Ada inquired to the puzzled Enori whom sharply turned towards her and began to guide her into the passage.

"Quickly, I have no idea why a dragon would come out this way nor how over such a great distance, whatever it is I will learn of it, now let me close this behind you."

The floor closed above Ada with a quick glimpse of Enori running for the door.

Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Part 29-2 -- The Shadow Knights

#95 Post by Aicanor »

Hahah as if anyone in my story can avoid trouble ;) it seems to come looking for you, not much I can do about that :lol:
Now you mention it, you're right. :lol:
I enjoyed reading this, as always. Waiting for the trouble to arrive...
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#96 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

The dragon's named Trouble? How fitting.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Lord Sithoelan

#97 Post by Lord Sithoelan »

Larose,

Thanks for the tips... Sorry that I have been gone for so long... had computer troubles and had to replace the whole thing...Can't wait to see how things go from here!! 8)
"Adapt, Overcome, Persevere - No Sacrifice, No Victory!"
Larose
Chronicler

#98 Post by Larose »

Ah yes computer troubles are the worst, glad you figured it out Sithoelan ! I've been slacking in the writing department as well, though headshot is back to keep everyone entertained on a new branch of his stories 8)

Haha yes El but no, dragons name is Teraskonarr! Though that does have a troubling ring for his enemies I'm sure. :mrgreen: haha and yes Aicanor the trouble is coming :twisted:
Anyway

Part 30

The sway of the ship was rather rough from the turbulent seas and Dethadrin had never considered sailing as his favourite means of transportation, especially as a captive which reflected his current mood.
The stench of the brig brought a dizziness that began to numb his senses and the creaking sounds from the wood panels would have driven a weak mind to madness.

"I could burn this ship down and end it all." He shouted aloud and laid his head back on the wood panels with a light thud. The thought had crossed his mind on numerous occasions, yet what the swordmaster had said during his transfer, brought many questions. None of which could be answered by fire, and he was angry, nothing went well during his dark moods.
Sure they had taught him to calm his mind along with all the other traditional teachings that worked for most. But not him, not the great 'WhiteFlame', his emotions fed him power and allowed control over enormous amounts of energy.

He found himself smile at his own lie, alright some control was a more accurate term.

His reminiscing mind was interrupted by the cell door opening with an abrupt force that startled him, while the swordmaster from the day before entered the room. The warrior scholar was still clad in the rare ebony smoked armour that seemed to only add to the mysterious and deadly reputations that followed them. Though what happened next would have shocked the Phoenix King himself; the swordmaster had entered the room amidst an attempt to remove the tall dark helm and revealed his old friend, Althran. His long dark hair fell upon his shoulders whilst his almond black eyes scanned the room, the grey swirls of Death magic still consumed his pupils and brought reassurance that it was truly him.

"It looks as though you have seen a ghost my friend, and you look terrible we need to get you a change of clothes; bring her in here!"

"Althran how did you..." Dethadrin began yet paused as Lucinia was pushed inside the tiny room. Her ocean blue eyes locked with his and came with a harsh sneer that brought reality to what was happening.

"It is rather easy to move about when your enemy believes you are somewhere else, though it cost me my remarkable armor and Elandrel's pegasus. Feriast was sure to make a decent coin from it all for retirement I am sure. Now come, there are plenty who wish to see you, hell most had no idea what to do with themselves once they disbanded the Royal Company. Though you know me, could never run from a set a beautiful blue eyes... so I rigged the crew manifest and hand picked our crew." Althran's smile appeared as he spoke and his gaze never left those of the maiden nearby, all of which brought a familiarity that Dethadrin had not experienced in some time.

"That makes it twice you have underestimated me... my lovely vixen." Althran continued and proceeded to blow her a kiss; clearly to calm her down.

"Reading her mind does not count, now how about those clothes." Dethadrin interjected and proceeded from the cell, he had his fill for captivity.

"That was uncalled for Deth!" The prince answered and closed the door behind him. "Secrets are kept by keeping your mouth shut... and she is dangerous! And where is the thank you ? I told you nothing was as it seemed, the ship is ours!" Laughter followed as Althran braced himself against the wall and began to shake his head.

"Though it is only a tiny 'Hawk' class vessel amongst an entire enemy fleet, how did things get so wrong?" He ended with a smile as his laughter subsided and caused Dethadrin to look back and wave off the two guards waiting down the corridor.

"Thank you Althran, you found me before I experienced any real discomfort, as to what is going on... well all I can gather is that there were larger forces at work which took us unaware. Simple, so now we watch their movements and act when an opportunity arises."

Althran returned a nod and pushed his long dark hair from his face with a sigh.

"We have work to do."

The Citadel of Dusk had an assembly hall with high arch'd ceilings of white exotic marble that could not have come from any nearby query. And along its columns hung long green and blue tapestries embroidered with gold symbols of a house Norein did not recognise. At the base of each column sat wide braziers full of burning coals which heated the room and provided ambient lighting, though the mood of the court did not seem to fit the glorious nature of the hall.

A day had passed since Norein arrived and thankfully no progress had been made in finding her friends, she had also learnt that her mind would somehow respond to her changing environment against her own will.

Though she could understand everything this acting 'Warden' of the city had to say, she could not respond with her own words.

Herasin was the one in charge and sat upon a chair off centre from the tall golden wardens chair at the end of the hall. He was clad in blue silks with a white cloak that covered his shoulders,whilst his golden hair draped loosely past his ears and seemed dulled with age. His eyes were darker then a jade stone and examined her with angered suspicion.

As did all those also in the room; ship captains, nobles and local lords of the city all clad in rich attire, shared the same menacing look that one would give to an outsider. Which she most certainly was and was definitely not to be trusted, though her 'second head' as she called it, answered every question with a dark cunning that was startling.

"You arrive upon a mythical dragon of epic proportions and all you seem to care for is this search for the group of so called 'cultists', have you not heard anything I am saying? We have reports of our damned kin sailing south off the coast just north of here, so as to their destination I am rather sure we can predict. We are a mere day from war with our Warden on a voyage to Lothern and I believe I have rather accommodated this Sefian Brakist with multiple searches of this port!" Yelled Herasin in a raspy tone and stopped for a few heavy breaths of air, his face had turned a slight red and Norein could see the frustration in his eyes.

Though could do nothing to help as she began to speak involuntarily. " If you want the help of the dragon, you will do as I say and find these traitorous cultists. The fleet should arrive in time to turn off the Druchii raiders, finding these Asur is our priority."

"No it is your priority, I have to prepare this city in case your precious fleet does not arrive in time. Now the guards outside are all I can spare use them wisely, now go."

Norein anticipated further protest, yet found her self facing and moving towards the large double doors that led to the outside courtyard. As she reached the iron doors with silver stars engraved on each; the left side opened and revealed the dark haired maiden that had been helping her search the city, Enori if she remembered correctly. The mage wore dark grey and black robes that reached just a fraction above the floor, and she had been all to eager to take charge of the search which gave Norein a suspicious feeling.

"Come there are a few areas we have yet to search, perhaps we may flush them out." Enori spoke with a tone that was almost soothing as Norein walked past without acknowledgement... perhaps her second head shared the same suspicion.
Last edited by Larose on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:33 am, edited 5 times in total.

Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Part 30 -- The Shadow Knights

#99 Post by Aicanor »

Niice. I see Trouble has many names. :lol:
Good Dethadrin didn't have time to burn the ship down. :D
Larose
Chronicler

Re: Part 30 -- The Shadow Knights

#100 Post by Larose »

Well I haven't minded being in the readers chair lately as this place has exploded with stories lol but here's another piece to keep mine going :)

Haha yea Aicanor his temper usually gets the best of him ;)

Part 31

The sun cascaded the ocean with streaks of orange and red rays of light which pierced the scattered clouds throughout the sky. The hue from the light, covered the port with a glimmering shine that accented every building within the city.

Soretu admired the view as he stood upon a small stone balcony that moulded with the surrounding cliffs just below the Citadel of Dusk. He was alone for the moment, though his faithful hawk Sethai was nearby, and was once again forced to listen to Soretu's thoughts. Talking to the hawk had become almost a tradition over time and seemed to never fail in helping him find his balance after something drastic.

"I miss her Sethai... the sway of the sea and the breeze of the wind." He said with a long sigh as his left hand tapped the pommel of his longsword at his side. "Never thought such a thing could happen without an incident at sea. What was it all for and why am I even here." Soretu continued with a rising anger, yet stopped as swirls of grey smoke caught the coastal breeze and streaked past his view.

"Can never have any privacy with a mage about." Soretu grumbled and looked over at the smiling elf dressed in his usual black scale armour, which was littered with weaponry and brought awe with every glance. Daggers were strapped to his dark leather leggings and inside his long boots that reached just below the knee. Two swords and a number of pouches rested along his belt, while a quiver of dark feathered arrows protruded from his dark hooded cloak; and finally his black ebony bow was slung along his back.

The smile Velnos had come with soon faded, as he responded in a low tone and proceeded to pull something from his side pouch. "I can no longer tell you why we are here... because there is nothing to tell." He pulled out a long stem'd pipe and paused for a moment, while a small red flame appeared from the tip of his finger and began to burn the herbal plant inside.

"My sister Enori has yet to find a way to destroy the amulet, all we could find was some myth." Velnos paused to create a smoke ring that hung in the air for a brief moment before being taken by the breeze.

"A myth about a long dead Slaan priest, who had a gift of power from the old ones long ago to help change the world. He died in a battle... we think, it is all she could gather from some ancient scripts in the citadel. I guess losing contact with the lizards will hurt us more then we could ever imagine. "

"Well thank you for taking the wind from my sails... so what are our options I mean we could just throw it into the ocean." Soretu replied grimly as he handed some left over fish to Sethai.

"Never!" Velnos gasped with a startling ferocity that caused a flash of instinct, in which Soretu took a step back with a readied hand on the pommel of his longsword.

"We can never leave such power in the hands of chance, the amulet calls to darkness, always... And even in the sea there are darker beasts then we can imagine... No we must protect it." Velnos had become eerily calm within an instant, as he spoke between puffs from the simple brown pipe; yet he pressed on.

"We have lost too many resources... Brakist has hit us with new cunning, and all the evidence against the 'Royal Company' would have required inside knowledge... Toran and Althran are still missing." He handed the pipe to Soretu with a shake of his head." Here this will help calm your nerves, we may be trapped here Soretu, and without many options."

The sun had set in the horizon as Soretu noticed the light withering with time, though the pipe was a wonderful addition to the terrible news.

"Althran did not strike me as the one to betray us... though I have not met this prince Toran... What a mess." Soretu finished with a large puff from the pipe and returned it.

"Fear not." Velnos said with a hint of confidence, as he ran his hand through his long dark hair and turned back towards the entrance to the hall.

"Enori will return with new findings... We will think of something."

Soretu made to follow the 'Nagarathi' inside, and observed the plain room that had become their home.
A round table acted as the centrepiece with dark red oak chairs to match. And that is where the comforts stopped as the storage room and sleeping quarters were attached by slim halls... Clearly made as a last refuge in times of war.

A long horn blast sang in the night sky and seemed to be coming from the citadel above.

Not good, Soretu thought and recognised it as a prelude to war. Though with whom he could not say.
Calehir and Ada strode from the sleeping quarters and shared the same look of confusion with Sontas, whom had been in the storage room a moment earlier.

"That is a war horn." The prince said plainly as the four of them looked out towards the darkening sea, with just a fraction of the sun remaining.

"Someone is opening the south hatch!" Came a frantic voice that echoed through the room, Tywin joined them soon after.

"Good, Enori must be returning." Velnos responded in a weary tone.

Nothing could have prepared Norein for what she observed herself doing, though she knew it was not her in spirit... the unwanted violence was gruesome to watch.

The room was most definitely a tavern, though the bar keep would no longer entertain anymore patrons... Her spear was to blame for it. He laid upon the bar in a twisted position from her spear thrust only moments ago.
The two armoured sentinels laying amongst a broken table, were the first to go; as she had struck without warning. Her 'second head' seemed to have waited for most of the accompanying troops to be searching elsewhere throughout the city, and had cleverly waited for some privacy to question Enori.

The maiden was the worst part of the gruesome scene; her arm was bent at an unnatural angle, and a large gash in her right leg threatened to end her life. Her once beautiful features were distorted, while Norein was forced to watch the end of her spear strike the poor thing over and over again.
There were no more screams of torment or protest, just the occasional gurgle and spitting of blood.
Enori's dark straight long hair was now matted and twisted with blood and dirt... While Norein could do nothing but watch, like a horrible nightmare.

Noreins hands gripped Enori's tattered robes and brought her close to shout about telling her where Calehir and the others were. Though the light in Enori's eyes were dimming with every moment, she was most likely past the point of any useful recognition.

With a sigh she dropped her limply to the floor with a thud, and just in time to grasp her spear as the door to the tavern opened. Two more of the silver armoured sentinels entered the room with shock written across their faces.

Norein wasted no time as one tried to protest, her spear lunged forward with a thrust that clanged off the guards shield who was the closest of the two, yet it was the second who was the real target.
Her spear retracted in her grip for a split second and thrust out again, though this guard held his shield with the other arm and did not deflect the attack in time. The spear tip caught him between the helmet and his armor, nearly taking his head clean off.

The one collapsed as his colleague shouted in anger and came forward with a ferocious thrust from his own spear.

Though Norein had mastered the art long ago and she could feel the dark power using her abilities to an even higher level of intensity. A tear came to her eye.

Norein pointed her spear to the ceiling and glanced the attack off to the left, as she stepped forward with the butt of her spear streaking up and angled to the inside of his knee.
A wail of pain followed as his knee buckled and provided her the opening to grasp his helm with her right hand; and with a quick twist of her body, the guard came up into the air and over her hip with a crash onto the floor. His head hit first, and a snap could be heard as his body over rotated upon itself and became a crumpled heap on the floor.

Then an odd silence followed, apart from her own heavy breathing and a sluggish sound of something dragging across the floor.

Norein felt herself pause and look about the room for Enori... Who happened to be missing, though had not made it overly far.

Norein began to slowly follow the blood trail that passed through another door at the end of the tavern, that led to the Inn portion of the building. Which unfortunately was now empty due to the commotion of the coming attack, the city itself was in a panic of commotion and preparations.
She noticed her second head made no move to stop the crippled maiden on the floor, Norein was attempting to stay out of sight from the delusional Enori... Her heart sank as she realised the cunning.

She would lead Norein right to them if she could muster enough strength... Norein tried to scream as loud as she could, though all that came of it was a shake of her head.

After a few moments, Enori had made it into another room with her one arm'd crawl full of gurgles of pain. The room had a massive fireplace with a small table nearby... A dead end.

Norein felt her spear rise and pause briefly, as they seemed to notice Enori trying to reach upwards to one of the twined torch sconces on either side of the fireplace.

"Thank you, you have been most useful." Norein said in a dull tone, to which Enori slowly slumped back down to the floor... As Noreen's' spear had passed through her robes with little effort.

Her hand grasped the torch to which she attempted to turn and twist, with a small click the floor beside her began to shift.

"You first." She said aloud to no one in particular, as her foot shoved Enori's body down into the stairway.

A piercing horn blast echoed throughout the city, as Norein descended down the stairs and was confronted by an unsettling sight.

Calehir stood down the hall in long dark robes with his brown hair hanging loosely about his shoulders, Ada was also next to him in her golden breastplate with a white silk robe beneath.
Two dark armoured elves came up from behind them whom she recognised from Copher... The white and black haired brothers who had interrupted the meeting... And a human she did not know, Captain Soretu was even here.

Noreins good fortunes of being unsuccessful had finally come to an end and her friends would never look at her the same. They all shared disgusted and menacing glares towards her, she felt another tear stream down her face as she spoke.

"Looks like I have found you... The Druchii are here and shortly after... My master, to swipe away the darkness... Resistance is foolish."

Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Part 31 -- The Shadow Knights

#101 Post by Aicanor »

Gloom and darkness seems to be everywhere these days. Very good chapter again, but so sad.
Larose
Chronicler

#102 Post by Larose »

Haha don't worry Narrin'Tim is back, things have to turn for the better ;-) and yea in the story things are getting ugly... :cry:

Aicanor
Rainbows

#103 Post by Aicanor »

Yes, hopefully things are turning for the better there. And here, we'll see what you have in store for your heroes. :wink:
Larose
Chronicler

#104 Post by Larose »

Hmmm... Probably trouble :lol:

Aicanor
Rainbows

#105 Post by Aicanor »

Larose wrote:Hmmm... Probably trouble :lol:
We know now you have a dragon called Trouble. :D
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#106 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

HaHa, I saw the trouble thing and the new SNSD track popped in my head, the bit at the start where one of the girls say 'Here comes Trouble!' =P
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Larose
Chronicler

#107 Post by Larose »

I tried looking up this group you speak of and all I got was about 10 girls from Asia dancing and singing.. Lol then my mind turned my story into a anime video .. Which was interesting to think of hahaha

Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#108 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Ah yea, SNSD, better known as Girl's Generation, is a Korean Pop music group, featuring nine pretty girls ^_^
Elithmar
Young Eataini Prince

#109 Post by Elithmar »

Elessehta of Yvresse wrote:...featuring nine pretty girls ^_^
That is a good enough reason to like them. ;)
"I say the Eatainii were cheating - again." -Aicanor
"Eatainian jerks…" -Headshot
"It was a little ungentlemanly." -Aicanor (on the Eatainii)
"What is it with Eataini being blamed for everything?" -Aicanor
Larose
Chronicler

#110 Post by Larose »

Ah yes nine pretty girls is always a good thing :wink: .

Well I see headshot has finished yet another story to everyone's dismay as I am sure most of us would rather have him on full time story time haha.
Though he has worked hard to create a culture amongst the Nagarathi to which I think should be supported and as such I might have a little bit of his flavour in this part :mrgreen: Enjoy .

Part 32

Calehir reached down to grasp Ada's outstretched hand and proceeded to help her out of the hatch. The four of them were in a small room with a low ceiling and an odd door at one end.
Soretu was already running his fingers along the doors edges to find a way to open it.

"Any luck?" Tywin asked as he tried studying the door, though clearly had no idea where to start.

"A moment.. If you please" Soretu responded without turning his gaze, and with a small sigh of relief... A faint blue light streaked across the engravings that littered the large marble door, and with a shift; it began to lower into the floor.

"Velnos had explained it, yet actually finding the rune is rather difficult." He finished with a smile and was the first to take a step through the open door.

Calehir had grown rather accustomed to Soretu's regal attitude towards almost everything, and felt rather upset that the captain had been dragged into the situation over the mere fact of having a ship available.

The group walked amongst a short corridor that opened up to the night sky above, and a long empty balcony that overlooked the harbour. Though with the moonlight, sporadic fires and blast of magical energy; the port was a far different sight then earlier.

The Asur ships were anchored along the mouth of the harbour in what appeared to be a sea wall; in order to fend off the countless Druchii war vessels that exchanged the same massive bolts and arrows as their brethren.
They were essentially fighting themselves as their dark kin shared their extraordinary speed, cunning and magical adeptness; to which always brought many casualties for both sides.

The defence of the city had been rather well planned, as the supporting fire from the many bolt throwers that littered the city walls; came in unison with the ships below with perfect range to hit the Druchii from all angles.
A few of their ships were already burning or sinking from punctures below the water line.

"I don't think we should have left those two with Norein... She looked.. Off." Ada said solemnly as the group gazed upon the spectacle below.

"Velnos gave us a direct command... And by the looks of Enori... It had become rather personal. No we must press on and get this amulet to safety." A few nods of agreement followed Calehir's response, as he could tell the question was on all of their minds.

"We cannot just let this city defend itself, can we? " Tywin continued and broke the lingering silence.

"If they breach the walls and gain a foothold in the city... Then yes we will fight alongside our brothers, yet for now it is our own that we must watch for." Calehir broke his gaze from the battle and continued down the parapets, before pausing to say.

"Come we must find a way out of this citadel."

His swords were drawn and the fire he felt inside was both new and tormenting, their beloved sister... tortured and murdered.
Velnos stood a few paces from the white haired daemon... Her skill with the spear was superb and her reflexes were quick like strikes of a scorpion.

Sontas was off to Norein's right side and shared the same heavy breathing rhythm as his brother. The fight had started near the hall, though it quickly moved into the main room and did not take long for chairs and the table itself to be flipped and broken.
They had sent Calehir and the others through the north hatch, which led to the citadel above. The Druchii would be upon the walls soon and the traitors were multiplying at an alarming rate.
Though Velnos was now regretting his decision, as no one was coming down the stairs to help Norein, and she was proving more then a match for the two brothers.

Norein's spear was angled towards the ground with a high guard stance, and shifted her feet beneath her long black robes in accordance to the brothers trying to circle her. The golden plate armour covered her torso with sharp pointed edges and red scroll work, while she wore no helm and chose to have her hair done up with a long tail, so as to keep it from obscuring her view.

The mere sight of her in the arrogant pose brought a fury inside him that was hard to control, and threatened to overwhelm the mind. Velnos tightened his grip and watched his brother slowly rise his gleaming white sword in preparation.
No words needed to be spoken between them, as the siblings had trained all their lives together...

Sontas went first with a low strike that came up towards the ceiling;though Norein countered with a quick step to clear it and within a flash, Velnos was recoiling to the right as her spear shaft glanced off his sword and tore a chunk from his left ear.

"You damned witch !" He cursed in pain and struck out with his second sword, only to have his arm skilfully grabbed and sent sprawling into Sontas from his own momentum.

They hit the wall together, and the rage took hold of him.

Grey swirls of energy began to coil the surrounding air, as Norein streaked towards him spear lowered for a straight thrust. The voice of his brother in protest came with a distant echo as the world went dark, and within an instant Velnos was behind Norein with his sword deep in her side.

The spittle of blood from Norein's mouth brought a satisfaction that swept through him briefly... before he realised the true form of the situation.

Norein slowly fell to the floor, still gripping her spear that had found its mark through the chest-plate of Sontas. His armor plates were cracked as if struck by a bolt of lightning... Clearly an ancient magic in the blade; his brother slumped down against the wall with her.

Velnos fell to his knees, tears streaming as his second sword released from his grip. His brothers head lay still with a slight tilt, which brought a finality to it all ... A speechless finality.

That is until Norein turned with the sword still stuck in her side, and said.

" Narrith lessa kynn’bar... I am... sorry."

It was hard to make out amongst the gasping and coughing of blood, yet the words rang in his ears, the creed of Nagarythe... Of the clans... The likes of which he had not heard in what seemed an age. The words of the elder tongue... Never leave a brother behind.

Norein's eyes were a glimmering silver ... Which was not something he had noticed.

"Why! Why do you do Brakists bidding and speak the creed of the Nagarathi clans?" He was yelling, though it was not his intention... Far too many conflicting emotions were running through him. One of which wanted him to grasp the sword and strike her repeatedly.

Norein just shook her head and gasped. "Toran... It was..." She keeled and coughed up more blood with a gradual dimming in her eyes.

"Tiranoc remembers." Were Norein's last words as her life force passed and left Velnos alone with two dead siblings and a supposed friend to Nagarythe.
Last edited by Larose on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Part 32 -- The Shadow Knights

#111 Post by Aicanor »

Starting the post with pretty girls and ending it in doom and darkness again? Well written chapter once again. I just hope there will be someone of the heroes alive when the story is over. :shock: :wink:
Larose
Chronicler

#112 Post by Larose »

Haha thought it would add to the dramatic affect for the story :wink: :lol: and I did warn It was getting ugly! :P

Aicanor
Rainbows

#113 Post by Aicanor »

Well, death has that effect... I am quite curious how these Silver Knights became part of Golden Company by the way. :wink:
Larose
Chronicler

#114 Post by Larose »

Ah yes the young heroes from Praag (server name). They had to begin somewhere :wink: though actually tying it together so it all makes sense may prove difficult .. Hmm

Aicanor
Rainbows

#115 Post by Aicanor »

Praag? I relocated temporarily from there to Yvresse, so why should they not? I am sure there is a way. :wink:
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#116 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Yvresse you say, Tor Hisialcar, can't say I've visited this place.
Aicanor
Rainbows

#117 Post by Aicanor »

As a future Warden you should. And if all goes as planned, you probably will. Tor Hisialcar is a port town near the border with Cothique, known for its glorious, sunlit mists. ;)
Larose
Chronicler

#118 Post by Larose »

Sorry for the delay, it's just as the characters all come back together, the parts get longer and complicated lol

Part 33

The heat from red and yellow flames could be felt from the bridge of the small hawk ship, which was now taking Toran into the harbour. The Citadel of Dusk rose high above into the black star filled sky, while the many dimly lit windows outlined the tall spires that rose to different heights. The city itself contained sporadic fires and the sounds of skirmishes amongst its narrow streets.

The ship was one of two similar vessels that were passing through the hole in the sea wall, the Druchii had broken through as the fleet arrived under the cover of darkness.
The surprise reinforcements had sent their kin into a scrambling panic , and the mighty 'Sun Blade' dragon ship was now using its glorious silver ram-blade to sink any foolish Captain that engaged.

Toran had left Anoras with his first officer to handle the flag ship during the engagement, the amulet was far too important.
The second half of the amulet was needed, as the energy required to influence Norein and maintain his features, had taken much of his strength. To the point where his practice of the life force magic, was necessary to maintain his health.

Soon his people would no longer suffer from the endless war, the surrounding carnage was proof of the need for a new champion of Asuryan. The Brakist family was unworthy of its power, no... he would finish what they had started and would see Tiranoc rise again.

His thoughts turned to the night that Sefian Brakist had taken part in the ambush, supposedly to free him from the agents of the White Tower.

"The plan has changed." He had said, as he thrust his sword through Toran's chest... the fool. Sefian's arrogance had underestimated his healing abilities, and he had paid for it a day later when Toran caught up with the camp.

He turned his gaze from the burning ships nearby, and observed his 'brother' climbing the stairs to the bridge with his guardian in tow. They wore the matching red robes and silver armor of the Brakist house, which made Toran sick; as he was forced to wear the same for the sake of appearances... for now.

"Are the regiments prepared for the push to the citadel? Hundreds of our dark kin could still be in the city." His brother returned a nod of agreement, as Toran spoke and interrupted his own reminiscing thoughts.

"Lucinia could become a problem, she knows about the amulet and it is but a matter of time before she learns of its true power." Gidras asked and continued the conversation with his usual worrisome manner.

" Once the amulet is whole, the Phoenix court will be mine and soon the campaign against the Druchii will begin, she will be helpless. Trust its power... Or perhaps we will be lucky enough to encounter her amongst the skirmishing." Upon finishing, Toran drew his sword while pacing towards the rail that overlooked the main deck, and spoke quietly as he observed the crew below.

"Soon the glory of Ulthuan will be restored."

The silver spear tips approached with a steady caution from their wielders, all clad in silver scale armor and tall matching helms. Only ten by Calehir's count, not even a match for the four they were attempting to apprehend.
The group had somehow found an old passage into the main hall of the citadel, to its Stewards surprise.
Herasin, the alleged acting Warden, stood behind the row of guards while behind him were a few nobles clad in silver plate armor.

"Brothers our true enemy is within the city... must we shed our blood here amongst ourselves as well?" His words echoed through the grand hall, as Herasin narrowed his dark eyes and stepped forward.

"We have had a lot of visitors lately, the dragon rider is still missing on her supposed hunt for cultists, while her beast sleeps as our people die! And now four strangers including a human, appear through a door unknown to even the citadel steward! Cultists indeed, no you will lay down your weapons and await this Sefian Brakist... I believe his fleet has arrived."

Soretu stepped forward to Calehir's left, with his bow held low and at the ready; his hawk was circling amongst the pillars high above, as it seemed to have felt the impending danger.
Ada stood to his right, her blades held casually in both hands. She flicked her head to clear some of her dark hair from her eyes, and sent him a small smirk.
The golden armor and white silks suited her, he thought and returned the smile.

Tywin on the other hand, looked half mad in his dark tattered robes that contrasted with his pearl white beard and angry eyebrows. His red and silver staff was held with both hands and within an instant, his eyes went crimson red.

"You leave us no choice." Calehir spoke calmly and relaxed his grip on the great-sword before him.

"You will surrender!" Herasin shouted in return, yet it was the magical arrow that split into three, which silenced any further conversation. And it was three of their brethren that fell, arrows protruding through their throats.

Calehir cursed as the remaining guards came forward , even despite the burning flames that erupted from Tywin's mouth, causing shrieks of agony.
The prince made a quickstep past a spear thrust, and came down with a high arc'd swing that passed through the raised shield as if it were made of leather.

The elf dropped to his knees with a open wound that cut across his chest, Calehir had yet to see a suit of armor that could withstand the blades' enchantments.

There were four guards remaining and what caution they had, was now replaced with fear as their feet retreated and distanced themselves.

The initial shock was disrupted by the abrupt opening of the large double doors at the end of the hall.
A small company of silver armored elves followed a tall dark haired prince into the room. He was pushing a Druchii raider at sword point with an amused smile, that is until he realized the situation in the room; to which a quick slash of his blade sent the corsair to his knees clutching his throat.
The group passed the dying elf without so much as a word and began to spread out into a crescent formation.
Calehir could see the ice blue eyes of this new prince, the scar along his cheek gave a look of experience, and he seemed to walk with a familiar pride that reminded him of someone.

As the group came closer, Calehir recognized Gidras Brakist following the arrogant prince and everything seemed to come together.

"Sefian!" Calehir shouted with a malice that echoed amongst the clanging of greaves upon the marble floors.

The smile that came from Sefian, twisted Calehir's anger as their eyes locked and his hands began to shake.
It took all of his strength not to charge forward and strike him down, as the spear points and drawn bow strings, forced a second thought.

"I see you are as foolish and hot tempered as your father, a shame he did not believe in our purpose..." He brought his sword up and pointed to Calehir before continuing.

"You will give me the second half of the amulet... And perhaps you all will be spared, Ulthuan could use your strength for what is to come."

"For what is to come?" Soretu asked as he drew another arrow and continued.

"Seems you might have another idea on how all of this is going to work out, I am guessing ... Badly... And you will fall before this is all over." Soretu was almost growling with fury, yet the blue eyed prince retorted with a light chuckle.

"Amulet? Are these not the cultists you seek? I will have answers in my hall!" Herasin cut in with a new found resolve, as if he were in control of the situation.

"Be silent ! You are but a steward, do not give me reason to see your head roll." Sefian was now glaring at the fear struck Herasin, which brought an odd three sided confrontation in the center of the great hall.

A few quick hissing arrows came from the far end of the hall and found their marks amongst the approaching elves surrounding the Brakist brothers.

"Get the amulet out!" Came a shout that echoed amongst the tall pillars, as dark coiling smoke appeared behind the Brakist troops.

It was Velnos!

Though he now carried his brothers white sword, which flashed and sent their Asur brothers sprawling to the ground.

The initial shock gave them the initiative and within a moment, a full scale skirmish ensued.
The arrows meant for their group, were now embedded in the back of one of the nearby guards. As Calehir had jumped forward with eyes as white as snow, to which he cursed the poor elf with a pillar of light that pulled the arrows in the air.

Ada was now beside him with her sword and dagger flashing and parrying the incoming spear thrusts, the few left that were protecting Herasin, struggled to stand their ground.
A noble came forward with sword and shield ready to engage, yet he suddenly burst into flames with a shriek of agony and became a walking pillar of fire that spread to those nearby.

Velnos approached them with a flash of smoke as the group retreated from the growing flames and made it behind the tall marble pillars, while Soretu continued to loose the deadly magical arrows. Many of their fellow Asur were now sprawled about the great hall, while Herasin and his one remaining Noble stood near the central chair in fear.

"You tire me Calehir, and your friends waste my time!" Sefian shouted as his remaining troops advanced towards the pillars.

"The amulet will be... "

"Mine" Came a thunderous voice, as a dark blood soaked claw protruded from Sefian's chest, gripping a dangling amulet in its grasp.

Booming laughter followed, as a massive blast of dark energy erupted with a shockwave that sent the nearby elves flying in different directions, including himself.

Calehir was helped to his feet by a strong grip from Soretu, his head was spinning though what now stood in the center of the room... seemed to gather his composure with a needed haste.

Black bat like wings rose high above a dark daemon with white horns, red eyes and massive fangs. It wore red and silver plate armor for protection; while standing at a height that towered over the central high chair.

"Perhaps I should invite a few friends of my own." Spoke the daemon while multiple portals of fire, appeared throughout the hall allowing the entrance of smaller red daemons with large black swords. They wore no armor,yet were built with skinless muscles and legs with hooves of a goat.

"I am Darenusaka, fear me... the amulet is mine!"
Last edited by Larose on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aicanor
Rainbows

Re: Part 33-- The Shadow Knights

#119 Post by Aicanor »

The cards are finally uncovered, or most of them. I hope someone survives (and I do not mean daemons, Larose!). :mrgreen:
Larose
Chronicler

Re: Part 33-- The Shadow Knights

#120 Post by Larose »

Lol! [-X I am no cultist... The daemons will die! Hahaha