Howling Winter across the Empire - Gamethread[Closed RP]

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Anarion
The White Lion

#61 Post by Anarion »

A while later Baffin headed over to the inn, where the others had presumably gone.

He joined Jonas and Otto at their table. "Have you heard anything more? The tidings my old teacher has given me bode ill. Dark magics and the dead do not sleep in peace. She distrusts the Dunkenwald too." Baffin related the things that Bertha had told him.

"If you two are still planning to investigate this you had best be careful. Mistress Bertha thinks I should go with you. As it is her suggestion I would be willing to do so, I suppose. You might need a surgeon along the way."
Never moon a werewolf.
Krusader

#62 Post by Krusader »

"That means splitting the reward fee...but I think a surgeon will come in handy, and you seem like a good chap. Plus, if half the stories about Halflings & food are true, I will definetly have you join us" Jonas replies, and shakes hands with Baffin.
Last edited by Krusader on Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am going to call my kids Ctrl, Alt and Delete. Then if they muck up i will just hit them all at once.
Garadehl

#63 Post by Garadehl »

Daerendil, who had up until this point been standing out of the way in the shadows, moved closer to the table where the humans and the halfling stood.

"If there is indeed dark magics and undeath, then I wish to accompany you also, if you will allow it. I seek no material reward for my actions. Only and end to that which is unnatural and evil." He spoke in low tones. "I'm sure Kelian would also assist, but at the moment he is outside exploring..."
-Proud member of ASS and MOBI-
Krusader

#64 Post by Krusader »

"Hmm...should we visit the garrison commander Stefan now? Or wait till the morning to do so?" Jonas asked. He then added his own view "I wouldn't mind getting a good night's sleep, and meet the commander in the morning"
"I am going to call my kids Ctrl, Alt and Delete. Then if they muck up i will just hit them all at once.
Anarion
The White Lion

#65 Post by Anarion »

"I agree. It's getting late, he won't likely see us now anyway," added Baffin.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#66 Post by Shandiar »

The atmosphere at The Roasted Hen was somewhat nervous and tense. It's not very late in the evening before the locals walked home and locked their doors.
Within a few hours the weather had changed and a cold wind was blowing from the east bringing snow with it. Kelian soon joined the adventurers at the table.
"Brrr, it's very cold outside" he added.
In the far distance wolves could be heard howling. You soon decided that it would be for the best to visit Stefan in the morning.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#67 Post by Anarion »

Baffin yawned. "Have we got rooms yet? I'm ready to turn in. I'll see you in the morning."

He got up from the table and went off to see the innkeeper about his room. Hopefully he would not have to sleep in a human sized bed but he would not be too picky. Whatever they were about to get into, tonight might be one of the last good sleeps he got.
Never moon a werewolf.
Krusader

#68 Post by Krusader »

Jonas walks over to the innkeeper and asks for any rooms with multiple beds.
Shandiar

#69 Post by Shandiar »

You woke up early to get yourself prepared to go see the local militia commander. You got yourselves something to eat before heading outside.

You are all quite surprised about the change. Everything was covered in in several inches of snow casting a bright light over landscape. Dark clouds are still hanging ominously above you and the snow still fell heavily

You will all need havy cloaks or pelts to keep your warm. The wind was icecold and the villagers kept themselves indoors.
You head to the barracks. Very few activities happened here. A stablemaster was feeding the horses and pointed you to Stefans office on the first floor.
The officer was a tall man with grey hair and a curly beard. His eyes revealed he have had troubles sleeping lately.

"Goodmorning gentlemen. From the rumours since your arrival yesterday, I can understand you are going to investigate the raided tradestation."
He turned and looked out the window with his hands folded behind him.
"I'm afraid I can't tell you much. We went to see what had happened, when the trade caravan didn't show up. The station appeared normal that morning, but the whole place reeked with fear and my men ran from the place."
Stefan cleared his throat.
"I have requested an empire detachment to clear things up, but now that Mathias Bruchstein have hired you, we might solve this mystery earlier than I had anticipated."

OOC you can all deduct 1 GC for staying at the inn and to buy some warm clothes.
Last edited by Shandiar on Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#70 Post by Anarion »

"Hmm, I had hoped that you knew more about it, sir, but I fear we will just have to go see for ourselves," said Baffin, with a stoutness that he did not particularly feel.

"I would like to visit your local fletcher. This sling will be the death of me," ...this with a sheepish grin at Daerendil... "and I'm not one for hand to hand combat."

OOC: not going to bother about the actual visit to the fletcher. Can we just assume I do that before we depart?
Never moon a werewolf.
Krusader

#71 Post by Krusader »

Jonas says to the others "Let's go and buy whatever equipment we need and meet in front of the inn, and then head to the tradestation"

Jonas then tugs himself comfortably in with his new winter clothes.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#72 Post by Etherion Fenix »

The evening before.
Kelian wandered among the woods along side the town. He pressed his ear against the trees, hearing their beat. His eyes wandered up, the sky was particularly dark and forboding.
He wandered back to the inn, fiddlying with a small flute hanging around his neck. A symbol of his devotion to Adamnan-na-Brionha.

The next day.
Kelian wasn't sure of these winter clothes. Wearing the pelt of his animal kin seemed almost blasphemous to him. He would certainly need to find some way of getting something more, appropraite.
He stuck close to Daerendil, the way they looked at the two of them made him feel ill at ease. Better to protect each others back.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Shandiar

#73 Post by Shandiar »

Just before you left Strudelheim, it stopped snowing. The weather was still chill and your breath was visible in the silent air.
The innkeeper wished you a fair journey and told you to get some warm blankets as it would be a 3 days journey before you would get there.

The journey south was quite uneventful. The elves observed the flora and fauna of this white world, while the humans and halfling worried about the unknown dangers ahead.

Late afternoon the third day you reached the vicinity of the tradestation. The silence was eerie, and you all got this feeling of being watched from afar again. Daerendil observed that no animals have wandered by since the snow fell.
The silence hung above you as a burden as you neared the tradestation. Kelian stopped. "I just need a few moments."
Baffin also stopped and looked nervously over both shoulders.

The tradestation was build of wood only one level and a stable added to the eastern part. The windows were shattered but otherwise there was no sign of battle.

As you got closer, you could smell death, and the whole place reeked with cold numbing fear.
Last edited by Shandiar on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Priest of ASS
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#74 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Kelian could feel it, something, untangible. The others didn't seem to notice, but Kelian noticed. He could feel it, almost as if snow falling on his hand. As they came closer the numbing fear was even more noticable.
"I wonder. Whether what did this is the same thing that went over us after the battle with the greenskins?"
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Krusader

#75 Post by Krusader »

Jonas noticed the nervousness of the elf and halfling. He took a look at the tradestation, and then asked aloud "Any plan?"
Glaciandar

#76 Post by Glaciandar »

"I say we circle the the building, checking the surrounds, then head on in," Otto said, proposing a rather forward plan of action, completely unaffected by the fears of the others due to the confidence he gained from Sigmar's latest blessing.
[i]"Ĥ|Ψ> = E|Ψ>"[/i] - Paul Dirac
Garadehl

#77 Post by Garadehl »

"I suggest we stick to the shadows and to the trees..." Cautioned Daerendil. "An enemy could easily be waiting in ambush on the outskirts." He stood in between Kelian and Baffin and placed a reasurring hand on each's shoulder. "The gods will watch over us."
Anarion
The White Lion

#78 Post by Anarion »

Baffin nodded at Daerendil's reassuring words. He felt incredibly ill at ease but steeling himself he resolved to go with the others. He unslung his short bow and then ducked surreptitiously behind the taller elf as they moved forward.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#79 Post by Shandiar »

You all moved closer to the building using whatever cover you could find. Still nothing could be heard, but the stench of death was overwhelming. The feeling of being watched as the same time didn't comfort any of you.
Jonas and Otto moved with weapons drawn to the closest window. As you peeked inside, you saw the bodies of the dead merchants.
Otto gasped, the bodies were all mutilated and lying on the floor, but not a single corpse had decomposed since the attack.
High Priest of ASS
Krusader

#80 Post by Krusader »

Jonas barely manages to avoud vomiting. But why haven't the corpses decomposed? He motions for Baffin to come, and the Elves too.
Anarion
The White Lion

#81 Post by Anarion »

Baffin edged closer, unwillingly. He looked inside and answered Jonas's silent questioning look.

"There's only one reason why they might not have decomposed, and that's if they aren't all the way dead. Be on your guard!"
Never moon a werewolf.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#82 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Kelian crept closer, he kept his hands gripped tightly on his sword and dagger. If anything happened he would be ready.
Kelian turned in disgust when he looked through the window. "Such a thing, it is not natural."
Last edited by Etherion Fenix on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anarion
The White Lion

#83 Post by Anarion »

"Jonas, come with me. The rest of you be ready," instructed Baffin. Carefully he crept towards the corpse closest to the door. First, he nudged it with his foot to see if it would move.

"It's odd. There's no maggots or anything around, as you would expect them to be." He knelt beside the body to take a closer look.
Never moon a werewolf.
Krusader

#84 Post by Krusader »

Jonas followed the halfling, and when he said he was taking a closer look, Jonas kept his sword & shield ready. There was something fishy around here!!
Garadehl

#85 Post by Garadehl »

Daerendil followed slightly behind Baffin with an arrow cocked in his bow. As the halfling knelt to inspect the corpse, Daerendil stood ready.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#86 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Kelian kept watch outside, his keen elven vision scouring the horizon. Ensuring if anything came back, he would spot it.
Shandiar

#87 Post by Shandiar »

As you stood in the large room with several corpses spread around. A highpitched laughter could be heard from above.
"Ahahaha, you will soon succumb to my arcane power and join my army of the dead."
Nothing could be seen though and the voice soon disappeared in the distance.

A sickly green light rose from corpses and pale skeleton fingers tried to grab the halflings throat. The adventurers gasped in fear. The skeleton rose from the suspended state leaving the dead corpse and clawed the halfling with its dead bones.
Four other corpses were animated behind the closest one beside you.
High Priest of ASS
Krusader

#88 Post by Krusader »

Jonas gasps, at seeing this, but quickly gains his composture, and charges the undead grasping Baffins throat!
Anarion
The White Lion

#89 Post by Anarion »

Baffin recoiled in horror but not quickly enough. He then stood still, stunned by surprise and fear, as the skeleton's icy grip tightened around his throat.
Last edited by Anarion on Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never moon a werewolf.
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#90 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Kelians eyes narrowed to slits. His entire focus leveled on the skeletal forms that had burst forth. The voice would need to wait, there was only the here and now.
Bursting through, Kelian charged straight for the four further in.