Tales of Beleriand

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Shandiar

Re: Tales of Beleriand

#2071 Post by Shandiar »

"Praise Elbereth, Star-kindler." The minstrel uttered. "The field is lost and I don't know the whereabouts of our companions. We need to find shelter before more yrchs return. Can you walk?" Elenquenwë asked genuine worried still with tears running down his bloodied cheeks.
High Priest of ASS
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2072 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor paused as Agarwaen howled insensately and charged. He cast a look at Angloth. "As I was fey, so he is now," he said resignedly. He felt very tired, and was not sure if he could continue. "Another charge?" he said.

ooc: Willpower 12, 3 courage to be spent depending on Angloth's results.
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2073 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Angloth shock his head and restrained Alcarmor and those few who might remain with them. "This madness is his alone, if we were to follow we would join his doom." Tears rolled down his cheeks. "Pride once more has come before a great fall. Uilfea," for he has seen the scout joined to their group. "Can you help us find what others still remain lost to the wilderness and," head turns from side to side. "Where are the brothers?"
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Dargon

#2074 Post by Dargon »

"I... I saw them... fall", Uialfea found the words painfull to voice out loud, "Ainare drowned beneath a tide of Orcs, while Elenquenwë was lost beneath the bulk of a falling troll. Of their final fate I do not know, I... I could not reach them."

OOC: Heh, don't fancy Uialfea's chances of passing that willpower check. Would need to use every last Courage and roll a 10+ to do it. Think I used up my good roll already on Uialfea's retreat (cowardly little elf) :lol: .
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2075 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor felt tears slowly run down his face. "Alas for Ainare and Elenquenwe! Alas for the ruin of Nargothrond!" he cried. "There is nothing left for us now. We should rally the survivors and try to lead them to safety before the Shadow regroups and sends forces to slaughter them piecemeal."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2076 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"Once the survivors are rallied and sent forth with messages we should return to the battle site. We owe them due rites and to not allow their bodies to be taken for spoil."
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2077 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Not at the expense of the survivors escaping. Their spirits have departed to the Halls of Mandos: what is left is merely fleshly vessels. We shall have to see what is possible."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Anarion
The White Lion

#2078 Post by Anarion »

Ainare struggled to his feet, leaning upon Lillohtasëa. Wincing, he discovered that he was not as badly hurt as previously thought. He'd just been knocked insensate by the blows. Elenquenwë in fact, was suffering from more grievous wounds. Together the brothers aid each others progress from the field, moving quietly from cover to cover in the fast fading light. Their passage was not noted by the enemy in its festivities. With nowhere safe in the North, no kingdoms of the Noldor left there was only two choices. Ossiriand where the remnants of Maedhros still dwelt, or to the mouths of Sirion, where Cirdan still ruled. The latter being closer and the safer road.

With tears in their eyes the three other companions turned their backs reluctantly upon Nargothrond, upon Turin, son of Hurin and upon the captives that remained, knowing they could do naught for any of them. Instead they began to rally those survivors that they could find. On horseback still, Uialfea was able to scout and cover much ground to aid the small band growing slowly around them. In the hours that followed, warriors and some women and children were gathered to them. They all looked to the companions to lead them. Their pace south was slow, but Uialfea, tracking back regularly, found that there was no pursuit. Smoke and steam rose through the night above the ruins of Nargothrond as Glaurung continued his defilements. Of Agarwaen they heard nothing ever again.

OOC: rolled search and track for Uialfea. I believe Cal is right about the bodies. They mean little without the fëa. On some levels I think even grief for a Noldo about a fallen Noldo might be very different to human grief. I liken it more to despair/despondency. More of a sorrow for what is lost than for who is lost I think. But I'm ok with the RP of actual grief for the fallen as you've done.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2079 Post by Shandiar »

"Brother I must rest." Elenquenwë hissed, his breath slow and heavy. "This grove might serve us well and we need to find whatever Yavanna can spare for us." The minstrel scanned the area for mischievous presences, but found none. "I think it is safe for now."

ooc: sense power 11
High Priest of ASS
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2080 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Gazing down upon the field of bodies, Alcarmor sighed. He did not feel the pain of sorrow at this time, for he felt numbed to grief by exhaustion and hardship. Later he would mourn, but there was nothing that could be done about the bodies save to leave them where they fell; the enemy was still too close. Then he turned. "We must away! We shall take the road south to the Havens; there, perhaps, we can find shelter for a time." He was tired, very tired, but he jogged about the company, exhorting the despairing to new effort, posting those still with arms and armour to the edges of the column to watch for enemies. "Angloth, can you lead these warriors? Your valorous spirit will lend them strength to face any hardship that may appear." Uialfea was already scouting, a worthwhile occupation. "Come," he said, "let your hearts be not despondant!" He began to sing then. He had not sung for some time, and his voice sounded harsh to his ears, but after a few lines, other voices began to join in, more and more. Music healed their weariness and sorrow in part, and so, singing softly, the column departed for the Havens.

ooc: Siegecraft - Unit Leadership 19; Inspire 19. Willing to spend Courage to bump either one up to 20 if it's needed.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2081 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Numbly Angloth nodded. Even still, Alcarmor knew more of leading then perhaps ever would. What warriors they had found he loosely drew out into a defensive screen so that if one point came under attack then it could swiftly deal with it. Once the singing began Angloth raised his voice with it, though it was more to keep his mind occupied then anything else.
Anarion
The White Lion

#2082 Post by Anarion »

For all Alcarmor's renunciation of his lordship, old habits and abilities die hard and the aura of command still lingers about him. The column quickly forms into shape and the warriors respond to his directions to follow Angloth. It is a far cry from the glory of Nargothrond. All told only a scant few hundred have escaped the fall of the citadel; such was the pride of her army and the security of her citizens.

After many days, in which the threat of attack grew ever less as they followed the Narog south, the refugees finally reached Nan Tathren, the beautiful willow wood. Here they could relax for a time, and prepare to journey on south to the mouth of Sirion. Angloth is bemused by the beauty of the willow trees but looking back the way they had come Alcarmor suddenly spots two figures moving in their direction. Elves or men, it must be, for orcs would not travel in such a small number.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2083 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"We are being followed," Alcarmor said. "Angloth, Uialfea, come with me; we shall confront them." The scarred elf then turned to one of the refugees, a veteran soldier called Telumendil. "I want you to be ready, just in case," he instructed, and then headed out warily to intercept the wanderers.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2084 Post by Etherion Fenix »

The beauty that he saw lifted his heart a little, allowing some of the pain to lift.
At Alcarmors word he turned, sword already drawn. No taste for combat now lay within him but he would do this duty of defending those who remained under their care.
Anarion
The White Lion

#2085 Post by Anarion »

Angloth and Uialfea follow Alcarmor toward the wanderers who quickly resolve themselves into Noldor. Uialfea recognizes them first, then Alcarmor. The brothers, mage and minstrel are weary and battered, but alive.

Having rested for a time in the grove while Elenquenwë rested, the brothers soon set out at Ainare's urging. After a further rest later where Ainare did his best to heal Elenquenwë's injuries they then continued upon the road south, bypassing Nargothrond along their way. With just two they made quicker pace then Alcarmor's column and thus in the distance ahead as they approach Nan Tathren, the brothers see three elves approaching.

OOC: ok obvious and inevitable but there we go.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2086 Post by Shandiar »

"Alcarmor, Angloth, Uialfea!" The minstrel said with joy, but his voice failed. It was normally fair and loud now it sounded hoarse and dim. The minstrel coughed but managed a smile. "I am so happy you are alive." He whispered.
High Priest of ASS
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2087 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"By the Valar are you two blessed!" He falls to his knees with relief.
Shandiar

#2088 Post by Shandiar »

"Yes blessed by the Valar, but many others were not so fortunate." Seeing the rest of the elves behind the three companions, Elenquenwë said. "I see you rescued others and some escaped, we are not alone blessed by the Valar. How did you escape the field of battle, before all was lost?"
High Priest of ASS
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2089 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"You two do lead a charmed life!" Alcarmor said. "I had thought that you were dead!" He quickly related what had happened since the fall of Nargothrond to the brothers.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Shandiar

#2090 Post by Shandiar »

"Oh no." Elenquenwë said several times as Alcarmor told him what had happened at the gates of Nargothrond. After a while he said "so the Valar still support us as Ulmos warning attests to, but in our pride we cannot see it. What of fair Finduilas, did she escape?"

His mood was grim at the dark tidings, but his resolve unmovable. "I hope Agarwaen heeds my advice in his fight against the worm, it is not our fight anymore. Our responsibility lies here with the refugees."
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2091 Post by Anarion »

Duly united, the companions lead their tiny company through the woods of Nan Tathren. The forest of willows and the beauty of the flora and fauna within help to ease the pain, if not the memory of Nargothrond. Though the column of elves sings as it progresses south along the Sirion, not all of the songs are full of joy. Many are the fallen who are left behind, many the fëa who have departed for the Halls of Mandos. To the north, Glaurung lies within Nargothrond upon its mound of treasure, having rousted out every orc within and not leaving a single gold piece, not the slightest bit of value as plunder for anyone but himself.

The journey is easier now for the Noldor and unchallenged they arrive after some days at the mouths of the Sirion. The great eddying current of Beleriand's greatest river push the sediments far out to see in a murky gloom of water. Reeds and bullrushes and other plants cover the banks of the mouth of the river and far along the shores of the Bay of Balar. Out to sea, the rocky peaks of the Isle of Balar are just visible.

OOC: roll search TN 20
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2092 Post by Shandiar »

"Ah the ocean with its salty breeze and the seagulls flying. It has been too long." Elenquenwë said feeling much better in the care of his brother the last few days.

"So this is here Cirdan the Shipbuilder has his residence?"

ooc: search 11+4
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2093 Post by Anarion »

"Nay, not here," replied Telumendil, standing nearby. "Cirdan dwells upon the isle you can just see out in the bay. The Isle of Balar is out of reach of Morgoth's might for he dares not venture upon Ulmo's domain."
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2094 Post by Shandiar »

"Such a position is wise and safe, but Morgoths power will not diminish lest we fight against the tide of the Shadow." Elenquenwë pondered looking at the Isle on the horizon.
High Priest of ASS
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2095 Post by Etherion Fenix »

More fighting, shall it ever end? To the sea, to sea my heart is called, across the waves to fair Aman.
Angloth looks to the isle with hope.
Anarion
The White Lion

#2096 Post by Anarion »

The remnant of Nargothrond sets up an encampment upon the shore of the bay. With almost no supplies other than what they wear and were carrying there is little to make do with. An initial search of the surround area yielded no sign of recent elven contact.

OOC: you'll have to have a survival plan. Roll any related skills and lores that you have to wilderness/survival etc. TN 10.

OOC 2: Here ends chapter two of the Tales; the Fall of Nargothrond. We're looking at a hopefully seamless transition beginning with what you do here be it short term or long.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2097 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor organized the refugees as best he could He arranged for groups to forage in the forest, while he arranged for Angloth to lead others in building shelters. He found the work came easily to him; at heart, he was still the Lord of the Seven Lakes.

ooc: Survival 10 rolled exactly.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Dargon

#2098 Post by Dargon »

Uialfëa set himself about hunting for larger game to feed their new charges. They were becoming quite adept now at caring for refugees, and Uialfëa couldn't help but wonder if this was to be the fate off all those who survived the ravages of Morgoth within this world. Were there none who could stand against Morgoth's servants with hope of victory? Uialfëa began to feel despair weighing down upon him, but at the same time knew that they had to go on, that surrender was not an option.

OOC: Rolled 10 (+10) for survival.
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2099 Post by Etherion Fenix »

It was perhaps not the most appropriate use of his skill. Though it can not be denied he enjoyed the act of creating. Using what knowledge he may, Angloth crafted as fine a structure as he may.

OOC: Rolled an 11 for, whatever you deem appropriate.
Shandiar

#2100 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë found he had better uses than hunting and foraging. These refugees were scarred on mind and body, and so the minstrel did his best to lift their spirits, while he helped organize within the camp and gave a hand where needed. He still would have to be careful not to reopen his wounds and so avoided heavy burdens.
High Priest of ASS