Tales of Beleriand

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

Re: Tales of Beleriand

#2101 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

ooc: have 'some' access. Wednesday night might be the return time/date.

Ainare sat sedately on the sidelines nursing his wounds, he periodically contributed knowledge or information upon those passing.
Anarion
The White Lion

#2102 Post by Anarion »

The encampment begins to establish permanency, building up around the mouth of the Sirion over the next fortnight. Extended searches eventual reveal that elven feet have trod this way in times past, several supply caches are found. Game and fish are found in plenty. Elenquenwë meanwhile is occupied with rebuilding the Noldor spirit.

One day an elven longship ghosts into the bay. Long, narrow and shallow in draft for coastal waters, it surges near to the shore before curving to a halt less than a stone's throw from the shore. The ship's oars are shipped and a small coracle lowered into the water. Four elves occupy it as it rows swiftly to the shore. They are armed but not armored, chainmail not resolving itself well to work at sea. Many of the refugees gather to greet the newcomers as they approach.

The leader steps to the shore, naming himself Taras. "I am captain of this longship, the Swan," he says. "My lord is Cirdan the Shipwright, ruler of the Isle of Balar. I greet you, my kin, but my heart forbodes the reason you are here. What news?"
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2103 Post by Shandiar »

"Greetings to you Taras. Alas your heart is right for Nargothrond has fallen, King Orodreth slain and no news have reached us of the fate of Agarwaen. Glaurung the Fell Worm now takes the caves of Felagund as his residence."
The minstrel sighed, the recount of the battle still aching his heart. "We have gathered any survivors we met and travelled south as the path was fairer than most and words of Cirdans wisdom are well known to the Noldor of the north."
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2104 Post by Anarion »

"Alas for this ill news!" cried Taras aloud. "Then the warnings of Ulmo have come to pass, e'en as we feared. These tidings must be brought before Cirdan, and before Ereinion Gil-galad, son of Fingon."

He looks at Elenquenwë, taking him for the leader. "Will you come with us?" He addresses the broader company. "I cannot transport you all at once but everyone of you would be welcome upon Balar."
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2105 Post by Shandiar »

"That I will, for such ill news must delievered as swiftly as an eagle fly." Elenquenwë said, well knowing he wasn't the leader but rather the spokesman for the companions.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2106 Post by Anarion »

Taras takes Elenquenwë and the companions with him upon the Swan. Telumendil takes charge of the encampment in their absence. The Swan's rowers unship their oars and strike a quick rhythm for the distant isle, driving the ship swiftly through the water. The rocky peaks resolve into low mountains upon a green island. Before long Balar shows itself to be a beautiful refuge, rugged and windswept at times but welcoming nonetheless. A small coast town is the Swan's destination, white marble buildings gleaming in the sun as the ship pulls up to the stone quay. Other ships are there also, most of them small longships like the Swan but there are a few larger, deep drafted ocean going vessels there as well. Further inland, trees and crops grow upon Balar and beyond them the indistinct shapes of a larger town are visible. This town is at the base of Balar's highest peak, from which rises a tower, ever looking to the west. This inland town is the home of Ereinion Gil-galad. Cirdan himself dwells in the coast town just reached.

There are no formalities as Taras brings the companions into the Shipwright's presence. Cirdan listens quietly and sorrowfully to Taras's report before turning to the companions. "Come," he says, "You must tell me everything you can and what you intend to do now."

"A shadow lies upon Middle-Earth and of the Noldor, only Turgon stands against Morgoth, and he hidden. The sons of Fëanor have not the strength left to oppose him openly either."
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2107 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë told Cirdan in depth of their adventures, not leaving anything out of the tale. The companions interrupted a few times to add certain pieces of information to the story.
"And this concludes our tale filled with courage and glory, but also much sadness."
The minstrel went silent for a moment. "I fear it is not over yet and we still have to face horrible events in the future, but as for myself? I wish to go to Ossiriand and see my beloved sister and my dear Tiniel. But Tiniel is the daughter of Maglor, Wisest of the Sons of Fëanor, and alas oathbound and so my fate through my bond to Tiniel is bound to Maglor and the Silmarils."
High Priest of ASS
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2108 Post by Etherion Fenix »

As time passed a quiet took Angloth and he would say nought but that asked of him. At the arrival of the sea-folk of Cirdan he smiled but a little, all the way till the journey to the coastal town, at which dark thoughts robbed him of that small joy. Emotionless he stood now with the others before the noble elf who had seen Aman.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Anarion
The White Lion

#2109 Post by Anarion »

Cirdan nodded. "I will do what is in my power to aid you in whatever you endeavour," he said. "The Teleri still oppose Morgoth when they can, and if discretion has proved the better part of our valour yet we will still do what we can to aid the Noldor to whatever end. You have but to name it and within reason I will do it."

"There are many Noldor who already dwell with us," he continued. "Would you have your followers brought here or will you carve a new home for yourselves in Beleriand? What think you?" He looked at each of them pointedly.

OOC: great, two elves who say little. :P
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2110 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Lord Cirdan," Alcarmor said respectfully, "Morgoth's malice is bent upon the Eldar. If too many of us gather together, then surely we shall perish together when he unleashes his army together. Mighty Gondolin still stands, for their defence is in their secrecy, and I feel that this would be a wise choice for the remnants of Nargothrond to follow too. However, I would not wish to embark upon this course unilaterally. With your permission, our people will hold a council tonight and decide as a whole. This decision is too large for any of us to make on our own."
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Anarion
The White Lion

#2111 Post by Anarion »

Cirdan stroked his beard. "Gondolin stands yes," he replied. "But how long will she remain hid? How long before it is discovered, either by spies or by self-revelation as was Nargothrond?"

"I suggest not that your course is folly, it may be wise. Since I can make no demand, I would ask to attend your council. It may be that I can offer some small advice." The Shipwright appears cautious, having borne witness to the failures to raise fortresses and barriers against Morgoth upon Beleriand. Cirdan, the companions get the impression, feels safer behind the barrier of the sea, Ulmo's domain.

OOC: rolled Insight for you.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2112 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Of course I would welcome your wisdom at the council, Lord Cirdan," Alcarmor said. "Between all of us, we shall surely be able to divine the best path for our people's survival."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Shandiar

#2113 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë nodded in agreement. "Already have you given me something to think about and I would too accept you to join the council to offer whatever aid or advice you can give us."
High Priest of ASS
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2114 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

*edit - disregard please*
Last edited by Bob of Beleriand on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anarion
The White Lion

#2115 Post by Anarion »

Later that afternoon the Swan returned the companions to the refugee camp on the shore of the bay. Accompanying the vessel was another bearing Cirdan, Gil-galad, son of Fingon, and a few others of Cirdan's advisors and representatives of the Noldor who lived with him and the Teleri.

After a hearty repast the council began, a brief summary of their earlier discussions upon the Isle. Telumendil also joined them as representative of Nargothrond. "Let all speak their minds openly, that we may arrive at the best course," said Cirdan. Much of the small refugee group gathered closely around to hear what would be said.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2116 Post by Shandiar »

"I for one can say the sons of Fëanor will never halt nor pause before their hands grasp the Silmarils once more, so fell was their oath. Whether you assembled here will be intertwined with their fate is another matter, but on the other hand Morgoth will never halt either before all is under his rule and armoured boot."
Elenquenwë spoke openly and most fair, not wishing to persuade any to follow the darkest path, but rather make up their own mind.
High Priest of ASS
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2117 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

ooc: Does anyone happen to have a copy of my avatar? It appears to be gone.

Allowing his brother to speak, Ainare took his turn, preferring not to engage in honey-land fair suggestions, instead he stoked the fires of his heart and spoke with raw passion. "We are Noldor, not common vermin, nor for that matter common anything. We will not goto ground, in fear or desperation, we will, we must stand in defiance. Should Morgoth destroy our cities, we must rebuild them everytime! And until not a single one among us ceases to draw breath and departs this world should we ever stop opposing him with every fibre of us!"
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2118 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Opposing him is right and proper," Alcarmor pointed out, "but to waste our lives needlessly is foolhardy. In living and prospering, every moment is a victory against him. Every joyous breath we take thwarts his malice. That must be our highest goal at this time! The question before us is: do we live upon the Isle of Balar, or do we seek to found our own settlement? I speak in favour of the latter. Mighty Gondolin is the last remaining stronghold of our people, and it stands not because of the strength of its walls, but because of the secrets that surround it. Together, our people will surely draw Morgoth's ire; separate, we may pass from his mind and be able to prosper. This is my counsel."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2119 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Angloth said nought during Ainare and Elenquenwe's speech, after Alcarmors his voice spoke up. "I agree with Alcarmor, that of secrecy, as Ulmo told to those of Nargothrond is the correct path." Hands crossed in front of heart as he once more turned silent.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Shandiar

#2120 Post by Shandiar »

"Not in secrecy forever. Morgoth will never tire to plot new ways to destroy us whether hidden, secret or apart. This we must not forget. Nay we must ever be vigilant and plot ahead to foil Morgoths plans, but as Alcarmor said - never foolhardy, not wasting our lives, but in a controlled and thought over manner."

He looked first at his brother, then Alcarmor and finally at the audience.

"I agree with both to a certain point. Being peaceful and secret will not help us in the long run except raising Morgoths ire, making him even more determined to wipe out the Eldar race. We will need secrecy and peace before we are ready to strike. Morgoth never wants us to have peace, he wants us destroyed, wiped out, until all beings are chained to his throne. No my friends we can never have peace."
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2121 Post by Anarion »

Cirdan looked at Uialfea but the ranger said nothing, his silence acquiescing with those who had spoken earlier. "I fear for the path you have chosen," he said. "Insofar as you mean to secret yourselves away from Morgoth I ween it is wise, but I would have rather heard you mean to join me upon the Isle away from his reach. Though perhaps," he continued, "that would only give Morgoth sooner cause to reach out into even Lord Ulmo's domain."

Telumendil said then, "We are one in purpose with these companions Lord Cirdan, we of Nargothrond."

"So be it then," said the Shipwright. "Your first task will be to find a suitable location beyond the prying eyes of Morgoth where you can build your new city. I know these lands less well than you so I cannot help you there. I can offer our hospitality to these people until you find such a place."

Cirdan took a map of Beleriand and pointed to several locations. "You might search out the areas around one of these locations," he said, pointing to various mountain regions in Falas and around Vinyamar, as well as the eastern end of the Andram.

OOC: I've given some possibilities, let me know if you see others. http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/b/beleriand.html
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2122 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Any who wish to dwell upon Balar may of course do so," Alcarmor said. "I would council you all to do so until we discover a suitable place for our new home."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Dargon

#2123 Post by Dargon »

He had remained silent. For Uialfëa, the correct path for survival remained elusive to him, assuming there even was such a thing as a correct path for defiance of extinction in the face of Morgoth’s insatiable hunger. All paths before them seemed equally futile. Sooner or later, the Great Enemy’s reach would expand so far that nothing could be hidden from him. Decisions of such import seemed too grand in scale and dire in consequence for an Eldar of Uialfëa’s meagre stature. All he could be certain of, is that no matter their path, they could do no more than persevere and make the best of it.
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Shandiar

#2124 Post by Shandiar »

Now it was Elenquenwës turn to be silent. This was an unexpected turn of events and one he didn't foresee. Building a new haven had perspectives to gather much lore to one place and perhaps live with Tiniel. But would they be safe? No not as long as Morgoth sat on his throne. And with no skills in crafting nor building, Elenquenwë felt his skills were better used elsewhere in the fight against the enemy.

"I will help you find such location, but then I must return to Maglor." Elenquenwë finally said.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2125 Post by Anarion »

Gil-galad spoke up then for the first time. "There are many places in Beleriand that are still unseen by elven eyes," he said. "This my father told me long ago. I think such a place could be found wherever you turn; though some may be better suited then others. Long have we thought that Turgon dwelt hid in the south, but the news brought to us by Gelmir and Arminas suggests otherwise. His fastness, we now think, lies hid in the north, even in the very domain that Morgoth would call his. Perhaps it would be better to look in a place where you can easily draw upon what strength not just we upon the Isle can offer, but also such as is left to the sons of Fëanor. It is safer.

Within the northern mountains you may better lie hid but peril will no doubt be closer to your hand, and revelation just one slip away."

OOC: Andram is safer and easier to find a place but it may be less secure in the long run, going north would be the opposite but also farther away from your true lord if you still acknowledge him.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2126 Post by Shandiar »

"I have no doubt Lord Maedhros and Lord Maglor would release us from our service if we so pleaded. But they would still call us allies and call upon us if there was another strife of war. Whether we seek in the north or the south is indifferent to them and to me, though the north would be difficult to reach."

Elenquenwë pointed at the map. "Falas and Vinyamar might be reached from the sea, perhaps even better if Cirdan the Shipwright will help us in this matter?"
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2127 Post by Anarion »

"Certainly," agreed Cirdan. "If your wish is to begin your search in the Falas or further north, assuredly I would arrange your passage north on one of our vessels."
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2128 Post by Shandiar »

"Then my council will be to seek out the north first as it seems more secure if we can get there. Also if rumours are true we will be closer to the fabled Gondolin." Elenquenwë bowed to Cirdan and stepped backwards letting the others speak their mind.
High Priest of ASS
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2129 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

ooc: Back at full-strength!

"You and I are of one mind brother, you have spoken my mind for me."
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2130 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Searching in the mountains around Vinyamar looks like a good idea to me. While it is too remote to be able to call for allies in case it is discovered, access to the sea means that we could escape by boat were we discovered. If we were to seek refuge in the Andram, we would be closer to allies, but that would not turn aside the enemy's wrath were it directed at us."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot