Tales of Beleriand

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#61 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor saw the minstrel wave back, the light of Elbereth reflected in his eyes as he gazed upon the elflady. She was certainly pretty, but Alcarmor did not see the point in the sort of romances the lays espoused. Beren and Luthien, the greatest lovers in the world - for her love, Beren tramped about like a vagabond, lay in a dungeon, was maimed and eventually slain. It was the power of the Edhel that had prevailed, not the power of love. Love simpy made you sigh and groan and act ridiculously, or make you wish to be a rutting ape.

His thoughts turned to his own wife, back in his estate. Uruviel was of good lineage, and their marriage had strengthened the bonds of allegiance between those who owed their fealty to Lord Maedhros. And she was a skilful manager of the estate in his own absence. That was all.

Alcarmor turned his eyes from the besotted minstrel and his mind from the folly of romance, and returned both to the task ahead of him.
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Anarion
The White Lion

#62 Post by Anarion »

The four Noldor set out, down the winding path from Himring's summit to its foot. Crossing the Little Gelion at the base of the hill's south side they turn west through the hills, making for the Pass of Aglon. A chill wind whips through the gaps in the trees but the early ride is otherwise pleasant, cheered by the brilliant morning sun.

Birds flit through the air and there is the occasional sighting of beasts of the hills and dales, but there is no trace of any further bands of orcs. The previous encounter was a rogue meeting, it seems. Mallorns and other mighty trees cover the hill country but do not impede the path of swift and nimble elven steeds.

It is mid-afternoon as you reach the entrance to the long narrow pass of Aglon leading into Tuar-nu-Fuin. The pass itself is long, near 20 miles from start to finish but the Gates of Aglon are on the Himring side of the pass, about 5 miles in. It will be dark ere you reach the end of the pass on the other side.
Shandiar

#63 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë had never been in the pass before, but he remembered the descriptions of the land before it fell under the shadow. These narratives probably weren't of much use now.

Everything appeared quiet. "I think we should continue under the cover of the night and stars to guide our way. Orcs might move at night, but we are Noldor, fighting under the stars if required of us." So spoke Elenquenwë with a slight reference to Dagor-nuin-Giliath.
High Priest of ASS
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#64 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"The starlight is ours to travel by as it was back at our first awakening. The mockeries only do so to avoid the fierce gaze of Vasa." At that a thought came to Angloth, though it would take time and effort to bring to fruition.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Anarion
The White Lion

#65 Post by Anarion »

"Let us carry on," said Ainare, "Though we should use caution, the path is trod only infrequently by our people now and we do not know what dangers lie ahead."

There is little cause for discussion and the group presses on into the pass. The waning afternoon sun is more than enough to light the way forward and the Noldor pick there way through the rocky path. As dusk settles they arrive at the gates of Aglon.

The gates are a steep, natural incline leading to the upper pass. There are fortifications at the top and bottom of the gates, built by Curufin and Celegorm in better days. A bitter wind from the north howls continually down this slope. The gates were a harrowing passage even when Curufin and Celegorm held them. The incline looks as if it has not been disturbed in some time.
Shandiar

#66 Post by Shandiar »

A lay of Beren and Luthien. Thinking of his rival suddenly Elenquenwë remembered the tale and history of Taur-nu-Fuin. Since Dagor Bragollach Beren and the Edain here have had a tough time, before all save Beren were killed. Saurons eye might be still attuned to these lands and this very pass.
Stories of foul sorcery and betrayal lingered on in this place, they had to be careful.

"I'm not sure this is the best way, but let us proceed with uttermost care, if we have to."
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#67 Post by Anarion »

Ainare takes the lead, dismounting and leading his elf steed up the tricky ascent. The steep slope is covered in a loose scree and he picks his way carefully up it. The steed snorts as it light footedly prances after him, sending a small avalanche of tiny stones down.

The pass of Aglon has been rising gently all the way up from the hills around Himring toward the highlands of Dorthonion, but at the gates the sharp rise is thirty metres or more. The ruined fortifications on either side contribute only additional rubble to the slope, making it perilous. Halfway up there is a broader flat shelf in the slope where climbers can catch their breath. There is little scrub or anything else to hold on to. When the gates were manned by the sons of Fëanor, there was often a stout elven rope stretching from top to bottom, but that is long since gone. Despite all this, eventually Ainare is able to make his way safely to the top.

OOC: Cal, Eth roll a Acrobatics (Balance) test with a TN of 15 (TN 10 if you hold onto the rope Shandiar will be providing when he finishes his post). If you fail, roll a swiftness test, TN 10 to recover, and if you fail that roll a damage test at 2d6+3).
Last edited by Anarion on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shandiar

#68 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë is soon to follow his brother up the slope. First he manages to tie their robes together and get up to the first ledge giving him a short respite. Catching his breath Elenquenwë proceeds.
With a muffled wail he drops down from the cliff, the rope saving him from a further descent, but alas he's crying out in pain as he hovered there above Alcarmor and Angloth.
High Priest of ASS
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#69 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor's eyes picked out handholds in the rock face. With preternatural grace, he worked his way up, moving swiftly up the cliff to reach the top. When he had reached the summit, he heard a cry and saw Elenquenwe topple backwards, held by the rope. Immediately, he returned to the edge of the precipise, prepared to clamber back down to aid the minstrel should he be in need of help.

(Rolled 8, +7 for Acrobatics - Balance)
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#70 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Angloth waited until the others had started climbing. He was going to be the heaviest with all that he carried. Slinging his shield across his back and rearranging everything to add his climb, he began. Steadily and carefully he manoeuvers up the bank.
He halted half way at the sight of Elenquenwe. "Do you need aid minstrel?"

OOC: Also rolled an 8 for 15 total.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Shandiar

#71 Post by Shandiar »

He was in pain, that was obvious. Catching his breath he said "I could surely use a hand to regain my footing here."

The rope cut into his chest and he whimpered in pain.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#72 Post by Anarion »

:)

OOC: I think my post and Shandiar's made it confusing, or maybe my description was just bad. Imagine more of a steep hill than a cliff, covered in loose rocks. On foot you would be able to lead your horses up, but as you passed the rolls it's really a matter of description only so no big deal.

Elenquenwë can make it the rest of the way with another balance test (TN 10). If you fail, roll another swiftness test or take more damage. Or one of you can aid him though with two of you on the loose rocks the TN becomes 15 for you.
Shandiar

#73 Post by Shandiar »

As he caught his breath, he finally managed to regain his footing on the loose gravel. Slowly the minstrel recovered his balance and began to climb the treacherous ascend cautiously, and soon he had reached the others.

OOC: made the test with 18
High Priest of ASS
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#74 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor climbed back over the brief edge of the cliff, back to the dominating gravel-covered slopes of the area. Perhaps it would have been easier to follow the whole path up to the top using the debris-littered road rather than climbing the short cliff, but he found that his method had worked for him.

(OOC: There we go, a gravel covered incline with one small cliff-like bit :p )
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#75 Post by Etherion Fenix »

He was about to offer aid when Elenquenwe managed to correct himself. Eventually after some trepidation he managed to make it to the top himself. "Well that was an interesting climb."

OOC: I still have no idea what I just climbed but now I'm at the top. >_>
Anarion
The White Lion

#76 Post by Anarion »

The gates of Aglon left firmly behind them, after pausing long enough for Ainare to clean and dress the deeper gashes left in Elenquenwë from his tumble in the scree, they move on. The gloom thickens as night descends and whatever cheer the early morning of the day had brought is soon gone.

Alcarmor's steed snorts and jinks sideways on the path. It seems hesitant to move forward. Behind him, Angloth's horse whickers softly. The air feels thick and there is a musty odor about. Ahead the pass twists through a narrow gorge for a few miles and as the Noldor approach the night air grows more foul. There is little recourse but to pass through.
Beyond the gorge lies the land once known as Dorthonion.

Soon it becomes clear, the odor is not from inside the pass but above it. By listening intently the scraping of claws can be heard against the rock and the occasional flicker of moonlight reveals several large bodied creatures skittering along the top of the gorge on either side. They are tracking the Noldor.

OOC: For clarification about the slope, something like this:

http://www.eriding.net/media/photos/geo ... _scree.jpg
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#77 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Gently patting the neck of his horse, he whispered words of comfort to it. Steadily he rode it up beside Alcarmor. "It seems we are not alone," Angloth spoke in hushed tones. "What do you think? Should we confront these foul smelling things or bide our time?"
Last edited by Etherion Fenix on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shandiar

#78 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë whispered. "Stealth might still be the best course of action. I don't like being in this gorge, we are easy targets. I suggest we leave the gorge behind and move for a more defendable spot."

His keen eyes followed the ledge dimly lit by the stars. "Perhaps your magic can help us?"
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#79 Post by Anarion »

"I have nothing that will hide us," said Ainare. "I could risk a little more light so we might see what manner of creatures are haunting our steps. However, that might also just draw more attention down on us."
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#80 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor strained his senses, hoping to catch some sense of what manner of beast stalked them.

(Rolled 10, +7 = 17)
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Anarion
The White Lion

#81 Post by Anarion »

Alcarmor hears again the scraping of claws above them, or so it sounds. As he looks upward at the rim of the gorge he catches a brief glimpse of something, a gigantic bloated body, multiple skittering legs, that is all. It is a spawn of Ungoliant. And by the sounds in the darkness, there are more than one of them. Perhaps a brood...

Thus far they are only following, but there's no way to tell what they are calculating.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#82 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"The spawn of Ungoliant watches us," Alcarmor hissed to his companions. He laid one hand meaningfully upon the hilt of his sword. "I would liefer confront our monstrous shadow now, on terms of our choosing, rather than have them strike at us when weariness makes us unwary."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#83 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Slowly Angloth eased his sword into reach. When the time came he could easily dismount and grab his shield. "My sword is with you, when we strike I shall be there."
Shandiar

#84 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë recalled how Ungoliant had drained the Trees of Valinor. The deed made him furious. He restrained himself and focussed his perceptive senses to get a hint if there was a sorcerous power behind the spiders urging them forward.

Stealth and surprise was of the importance so he slowly drew his longbow and stayed behind his more sturdy companions.

OOC: 14 for my sense power roll.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#85 Post by Anarion »

Elenquenwë senses nothing untoward. As always the dread spawn of Ungoliant have their own purposes. They serve not Morgoth nor any other, though at times they may share a common goal.

The gorge begins to open into a broader valley, at least broader compared to the narrowness of the path just travelled. The monstrosity drops down into the pass ahead of the Noldor, blocking nearly all the route. It backs up slightly as the Noldor approach, whether out of fear or caution. The signs of the other spawns have quieted, but they must still be out in the darkness.

"Off the beaten track are you not?" hisses the spawn in a creaking voice in much corrupted but still recognizable Quenya. "This pass has not been trod often by your kind, Noldor. But we thank you, for we are hungry and the last of you was alone."
Shandiar

#86 Post by Shandiar »

"Let's stay together, I sense an ambush here." Elenquenwë whispered. Raising his voice to a more audible, but still subtle level, he began his performance. He reminded his companions of Fëanor and the fiery spirit the Noldor possessed that can't be quenched, no matter the odds nor the foe.

OOC: got 9+14 for my inspiring performance.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#87 Post by Anarion »

The gigantic spider scuttles a further step back as Elenquenwë begins to weave his subtle tale. It listens for a while then it begins to laugh, a horrid choking, creaking sound. "Silence, talespinner!" it hisses. "Lest we spare you the mercy of a quick death, just like we did the last, who still spins where we hung him. Sometimes he cries out for his master." The spider laughs again. "But the sons of Fëanor care little for their people!"

With alarming swiftness it turns and disappears into the black night, its nauseating odor the only clue to its path. As the great spider leaves half a dozen of its lesser minions creep silently into view. The spiders are cautious without the presence of Ungoliant's spawn. They move in slowly.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#88 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"The fiends hold one of our kindred captive!" Alcarmor exclaimed, outraged. "This is a thing that should not be! Should the broodspawn of the Tree-Devourer be permitted this travesty to continue? Angloth, to me! For the Two Trees!"

Beneath him, his elf-steed began to charge, knowing its master's intent due to the kinship that the Eldar have with all living creatures. Alcarmor's blade glimmered in his hand...
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#89 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Such a foul creature it was, it's kin would pay for its mothers disservce. As the words were bandied between the party he unslung the shield, ready for combat.
"These abominations of the world shall not be permitted to live!" With that he spurred on his steed beside Alcarmor.
Anarion
The White Lion

#90 Post by Anarion »

Two of the spiders rush forward, one of them leaping to try clutch Alcarmor with its arms to spin a web about him. The giant spider slips off his armored body and lands quickly on its feet in front of Alcarmor. The other approaches Angloth more cautiously.

Behind them two more spiders weave webs in the pass ahead, attempting to seal off an escape route. The last two scuttle up behind the two attacking the defending Noldor, and then begin scaling the walls of the gorge on either side.