Tales of Beleriand

Satisfy all your role playing cravings right here!

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

Re: Tales of Beleriand

#2131 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Angloth simply nodded, there was still some duties to be done, that he must be party too. Still, going closer to danger did not appeal one bit. "We should at the least take a rest for a while among Cirdan's people, if he will allow us such respite." Passionless eyes turned to the noble.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Anarion
The White Lion

#2132 Post by Anarion »

"So be it," said Cirdan. The council ended soon after. Cirdan's ships began to transport the Nargothrond refugees to the Isle of Balar as the encampment came down.

A month later the companions found themselves aboard the Swan once more, with Taras captaining the ship through deep swells of frigid water as the ship headed north. Taras kept the vessel well enough out to sea that they were out of sight from land, but could still see the coastal mountains away to their right. The oars were all shipped, the Swan itself powered through the waves under the strength of the wind billowing its single large sail. By day Taras kept course by the tracking the sun; by night the alignment of the stars guided the Swan.

After several weeks at sea, putting in at night only to swiftly provision the ship again as needed, the companions felt the ship's course shift more to the east with an inland breeze. The heavily treed and rocky coast of the Falas appeared, growing closer swiftly as the Swan swept toward landfall. Taras guided the ship into a small cove. Mountain ranges jutted into the sky to the north and the west. Taras pointed to the ones to the north. "Thither lies old Vinyamar," he said of the tallest peak they could see. "We know not if it is found and used by the enemy so have a care if you go that way."
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2133 Post by Shandiar »

"We will build in secrecy, so none will know our passing here." Hopefully. The minstrel thought to himself. There would certainly be logistic problems during the foundation, but it mattered not to him, someone else had to step up and direct this project.

"So this is our landing?" Elenquenwë asked Taras.
High Priest of ASS
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2134 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"Do any among our number know how to sail?" He blandly asked. It seemed an important thing to know at this juncture, especially if it was to be their escape route should the forces of shadow fall upon them.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Anarion
The White Lion

#2135 Post by Anarion »

"Aye," said Taras, "We must part ways here for if I brought you closer to Vinyamar your passage would surely be marked by orcs or men. Secrecy still lies with you."

A small craft brought them to shore and Taras clasped forearms with each of them in turn, wishing the blessing of the Valar upon them. Then he returned to his ship and it turned sharply under oars and then made for the south as swiftly as they'd come, leaving the companions alone in the wilderness of the Falas with mountains to the north and to the east.

OOC: Angloth, all the more reason to craft some palantiri so you can call ships from Balar right? ;) Sorry for the lack of posts yesterday, I was sick.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2136 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"If Vinyamar is where may lie," Alcarmor said, "then I feel that is where we must go first; so we can see what sort of danger there is. If it is a fortress for orcs, then it may be best not to settle in this area."
"Ask every person if they've heard the story,
And tell them, loud and clear, if they have not:
That once there was a fleeting wisp of glory
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
That once there was a spot
For one brief shining moment
That was known as Camelot."
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2137 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Ainare silently agreed with Alcarmor, signalling the accord with a simple nod.
Shandiar

#2138 Post by Shandiar »

"Stealthy as we might be I would feel more secure if this area was scouted first for any surprises that might lie in store for us." Elenquenwë said clearly remembering how stealthy Angloth could be at times.
High Priest of ASS
Dargon

#2139 Post by Dargon »

"Say no more. If there are surprises awaiting us, then I will endeavour to find them, before they can find us."

With that, Uialfea made haste to begin mapping the area. They would need as much information on this new region as they could get.

OOC: Rolled a 6 (not sure which skill to roll on).
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2140 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Angloth was dubious as he looked upon the coast line, the boat departing to the glare of the sea. "Pay attention to any natural cave systems you find. Our next best hope lies in finding some we can use for immediate shelter." Eyes glanced to the skies, then to the west.

OOC: Rolled 18 total on a spot check for anything useful.
Anarion
The White Lion

#2141 Post by Anarion »

Angloth studies the lie of the land closely as Uialfea sets off on a quick scouting run. The rolling hills are quiet, no sign of movement beyond the natural ones of birds flitting through the sky and a small herd of deer that picked up their heads to watch the Noldor suspiciously before deciding they were not hunting.

Uialfea tracks north a brief distance before returning to report no sign of a threat nearby. Looking at the peak that Taras identified Uialfea estimates it will take most of the day and the night upcoming to reach Vinyamar. His estimate proves correct and at daybreak the next day the halls of Vinyamar were reached, the stone walls of the fortifications around the base of the mountain easily giving away the location of the halls carved beneath the mountain. Cautiously approaching the abandoned fortress the companions note that it is quiet and appears deserted from a first glance.

The old walls are undamaged, as tall and broad as the day the were raised. The great stone doors leading into the hall are flung open but otherwise intact. The enemy has had no cause to assail this place, if indeed it is known to them, for Turgon departed it long before Hithlum ever fell.

OOC: Mount Taras by the way - I knew Taras was a location name, but not that it would come up so soon after I named an elf the same. :)
Never moon a werewolf.
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#2142 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

"The serene veneer may be a glossy veil, we should assume nothing is what it appears to be, until we know it to be," Ainare cautiously provided his counsel, as obvious as it may be.

OOC: Sense Power 14
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2143 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"I agree. Even if it is abandoned, we should not settle here; it is too obvious. It could, perhaps, best be used as an outpost from which to survey the land."
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2144 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"Shall we turn south once more? Skirt the coast looking for safe havens till we return once more to the Falas?"
Anarion
The White Lion

#2145 Post by Anarion »

Ainare senses nothing, either for good or evil. Vinyamar is wholly abandoned it seems. The companions move closer, if they are to use this as a temporary base while they search the area for a hidden location they might find a good place to camp. As they cross the walls Uialfea spots two sets of footprints in the mud left by a recent storm. They appear to be elven or human, certainly they are not the ironshod prints of an orc. Within the halls a single set of prints is visible where the dust has collected more and from with one room is the still clear sign that something was removed from where it lay.

It can only have been a few days at most since someone was here.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2146 Post by Shandiar »

"I don't feel wholly safe about this, though I would like to know what was removed from here." Elenquenwë pondered. "Besides I would like to investigate these ruins for whatever evidence we can find of its former inhabitants."
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2147 Post by Anarion »

Elenquenwë examines the area carefully. It is the only room in which anything has been left, a heavy marble table in the center of the room. The dust lies thick upon it except where the missing objects lay where it is clear, although scuffed by the hands that took whatever it was. One of the clear spots is circular, another long and narrow. The other two are indistinct, with no clear outline of what they might have been.

The minstrel scours the rest of Vinyamar for any sign of anything else left behind but the stone halls of Vinyamar are empty. Turgon's departure was not hasty and the Gondolindrim left nothing behind except what lay upon the one table, which is now gone. The footprints in the dusty halls of the previous visitor do not go as beyond where they lay. Within the depths of the most inner rooms of Vinyamar the companions get the feeling that no one has been here since it was abandoned. Yet these halls are not hid. Vinyamar will suffice as a base for their search, but no more.

The companions begin their search, probing the mountains, forests and vales in the vicinity of Vinyamar, delving into canyons, climbing peaks to see what lies behind, ever broadening their search. The autumn passes into winter and the search becomes more difficult, impeded by heavy snow in the mountains. Though the Noldor are insensate to cold it is one of the coldest and longest winters on record and the search is futile. Vinyamar provides a comfortable place to retreat from the storms of winter. The piles of snow cloak the walls and outer reaches of the fortress so that unless one knew where it lies it is invisible to the eye.

Spring, when it comes lately, allows the companions to renew their search in earnest, traveling east along the mountain range toward where it juts out in a great buttress that extends south for many miles before continuing its eastward trek through Beleriand. Uialfea calls a quick halt and drops into cover. Ahead there is movement in the trees, he points out.

OOC: If you know your Silmarillion tales well you should recognize the Vinyamar objects. As for current location you are on the south side of the moutains east of Vinyamar. If you look at the Silmarillion map, the area where the moutains extend south is right below the V in Nevrast on the map.

Rolled a spot check for Uialfea.
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2148 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë hid behind a tree, slowly reaching for his bow and followed Uialfeas finger and looked ahead for any movements.
High Priest of ASS
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2149 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

Alcarmor moved slowly and stealthily for cover, and kept a hand on his sword. He stared ahead, trying to make out what Uialfea had seen.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2150 Post by Etherion Fenix »

Angloth joined the others in hiding. His hand strayed not an inch near the pummel though. If they had want to fighting, he would, but while he need not...
Anarion
The White Lion

#2151 Post by Anarion »

Angloth and Alcarmor both strain their eyes but it takes repeated gesturing from Uialfea to point out the movement to them. A small figure, crouching, moves through the trees, heading up into the mountains. It is too small to be human, elf or orc. It has a sack upon its back and moves quietly, although apparently oblivious to their presence.
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2152 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"What is that?" Alcarmor said. "A child?"
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2153 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"Perhaps one of the Naugrim? Your eyes prove sharper then ours Uilfea, what do you see?"
Dargon

#2154 Post by Dargon »

"I have some familiarity with the Naugrim. While this creature bears much in common with them, it is also unlike any of the Naugrim I have yet encountered in my travels. It seems small, even for one of their kind." Uialfea strained his eyes and memory for some detail that would be more specific.

"Whatever it is, we should catch up with it. It has clearly taken items it deems of value, evidence enough it is aware of our presence. We would be wise to learn it's intentions. We cannot risk a spy of Morgoth revealing us before our kinsmen have even begun to rebuild."

With that, Uialfea took off in pursuit of the little creature.

OOC: Rolled a 7(+3) for Lore: Race/Dwarves to see if Uialfëa can further identify the creature (assuming it is what I think it is :wink: ).
[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p238/Dargon76/Dwarf%20Command/DwarfCampaignBorder.jpg[/IMG]
Shandiar

#2155 Post by Shandiar »

"One of the Naugrim?" Elenquenwë said quite puzzled Uialfea had said it about a person. "He would be quite far from home then. Let us surround him and let me speak to him, Uialfea is right, we need to know his allegiance and intentions."

Elenquenwë followed the ranger at a slower pace with Telpëlussë drawn and ready.
High Priest of ASS
Anarion
The White Lion

#2156 Post by Anarion »

Uialfea has vague memories of the Naugrim speaking of lost dwarves but he recalls little else, nor is he sure that his memory is accurate on this account. The petty-dwarf skulks through the trees with the Noldor in pursuit. After a time it stops and gazes around itself. The companions are close enough to see hate and fear upon its face and then it races away. As it darts through the forest up the hill it seems to follow a path unbeknown to they who follow it. As much as it twists and turns the dwarf is unable to lose Uialfea from its track and at last the ranger is close enough to grab it and cast it upon the ground. It's sack goes flying from its grasp and empties a great number of roots upon the ground.

The dwarf looks up at the Noldor in anger and fear as they surround him. "Leave me alone," he whines. "Can't a dwarf even gather supper without being set upon?"
Never moon a werewolf.
Calarion Sapherior
High Prince of Saphery

#2157 Post by Calarion Sapherior »

"Let him stand," Alcarmor said. Something about the dwarf's mannerisms disgusted him, but the violent way that Uialfea had treated it pleased him even less.
Called Camelot.

Don't let it be forgot
Etherion Fenix
The Immortal Phoenix

#2158 Post by Etherion Fenix »

"We mean no harm Child of Aule. Suspicious times make suspicious minds." He offers a apologetic bow. "I am Angloth, of the Noldor, who might I ask you are?"
Anarion
The White Lion

#2159 Post by Anarion »

"No, you may not," squeals the dwarf in anger. "What do you want elves? I have done you no wrong."
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#2160 Post by Shandiar »

Elenquenwë bowed down showing no disrespect and in a calm voice spoke to the little dwarf. "I am Elenquenwë of Maglors House. We wish you no harm. We are here scouting for any trace of filthy orcs and any agents of the enemy. Who might you be? Certainly not an orc."

Elenquenwë stood up and gathered the roots and the bag before presenting them to the Naugrim.
High Priest of ASS