A great loss to the community

Important game and board announcements and website or forum related topics

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

A great loss to the community

#1 Post by Ricold »

About 10 days ago, Curu posted in the Loremaster forum that due to changes, he would be stepping down as a Herald. He has asked that the following be posted as an announcement, so here goes:
Curu Olannon wrote:
Welcome to my Army Blog! Here, I will detail my army list, its progression, results, battle reports and related tactical concerns.
A little over 4 years ago I wrote these words as the introduction to a thread I had no idea how much would mean to me. Prior to this I had already been a member of Ulthuan for many years, but as Warhammer was largely an on-and-off thing for me until 2011 I never spent that much time here.

It all changed when I found a good gaming group and wanted to become a competitive player. I was inspired by the community and the other members and found writing a blog to be the best way to learn the game. In 2011 and 2012 Ulthuan was in my opinion in its best period ever. We were a learning and eager community, helping eachother improve as players, providing tips, insight, encouragement and interesting questions. When I look at the reports from back then I'm shaking my head in disbelief at how stupid some of the things I did were. I've come a long way since then.

The community of Ulthuan has always been unique. The internet in general is a hostile place. Ulthuan feels more like a sanctuary where selflessness, respect and kind words are favoured over the more aggressive styles seen elsewhere. I guess it's what kept me going for this long. The invaluable advice and input I've been getting over the years is one of the main contributing factors to my improvement as a player and you all have my most sincere thanks for it.

I am truly humbled by the interest my blogging adventure has generated in the past years.

I am looking back at dozens of threads, hundreds of reports, thousands of posts discussing and debating what I find to be the most interesting aspect of Warhammer: Competitive gaming. I've had people come up to me when travelling abroad to play, asking me "are you Curu?". This has, in turn, led to some great friendships and situations. My only regret is having too little time for this. There are so many more I wish I had met, so many more I wish I had more time with. I hope we may yet meet.

The time has come for me to move on. For the past year I've spent a great portion of my time on this hobby with a clear goal: Helping Norway do its best at the ETC. Part of what has made this journey so exceptional is the people I've met, the games I've played, the diversity I've encountered. Without the community this would be impossible for me. That is also why I am now switching to another system, Warmachine & Hordes (where I will be playing Cygnar), which has an established scene and a huge community worldwide. Unfortunately I do not believe any Warhammer-ish system will create the huge community and game we all knew WHFB as. I hope Warmachine & Hordes can replace large parts of what I loved about Warhammer.

Throughout my time here on Ulthuan I've learned a tremendous amount and I've also tried my best to give back to the community. I hope you have all taken at least something away from my posts. To those of you who intend to continue playing Warhammer I wish you the best of luck. I truly hope it works out, one way or the other, and perhaps I will one day return to this game. After all, I have an army available ;)

I will probably still stop by Ulthuan from time to time. Take care, and thank you all so much for the wonderful journey you've helped me with :)
I for one hope to continue to see you around Curu. Your insight is a valuable commodity to the community (don't try saying that too fast...)
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Makiwara
Chronicler

Re: A great loss to the community

#2 Post by Makiwara »

Here's to Curu, always a prince amongst Asur. May his name live on in the annuls of Ulthuan.
Only in the Dreaming Woods are Mortals truly free, t'was always thus and always thus will be.
Headshot wrote:
Makiwara wrote:Smiths in Nagarythe that can repair the holiest piece of armour worn by the Shadow Prince himself... 0 apparently.
Duct tape counts!!
John Rainbow

#3 Post by John Rainbow »

Sad to hear though not unexpected. Thanks for all the help in the past few years!
teep

#4 Post by teep »

Man, it's really sad to see you go. I thank you for the constant inspiration that you've provided, for the interesting insights and the great reports that I've learned so much from. Though I can understand you moving on to another game in this situation, your case makes the problems I see with the community painfully clear: the loss of heart with a majority of players quitting the game instead of simply continuing playing it forces even die hard veterans to look for pastures new due to the simple fact that there is no scene left where one could actually play.
I wish you a lot of fun and excitement with your new ventures and I hope that the new game is offering you all that you want from a tactically challenging gaming system.
Thanks again for all your great work and if your ever stuck on an island feeling like finishing your 'planing ahead' article, you have at least one eager reader for sure :wink:

All the best,
teep
SpellArcher
Green Istari

#5 Post by SpellArcher »

You know my thoughts on this Curu.

Respect.
teep wrote:there is no scene left where one could actually play.
It's turning into many scenes I guess. But some are in some countries and towns and some are in others.
Curu Olannon
Vindicated Strategist

#6 Post by Curu Olannon »

Thanks boys, good luck with your Elves ;)
Retired from Warhammer. Playing Warmachine & Hordes (Cygnar).

Follow me on Courage of Caspia, my blog.

Warhammer blogs from 2011-2015:

:: Path to Glory - High Elves Army Blog ::
:: Curu Olannon's Vindicators - 2500 points Army Blog (Old book, outdated) ::