Important game and board announcements and website or forum related topics

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Th3_5had0w_K1ng

#1 Post by Th3_5had0w_K1ng »

Hey guys,

While trying to load an avatar, I struggle to make it 150x150 and even when I do it needs to be under 7 Kb?!? That's difficult to do considering all of the higher resolution pictures these days. It's really difficult to get it under 10 or 12 Kb. Anyway it can be increased slightly by the admins? Or am I just resizing my pictures wrong?
"Looking into the steely eyes of his foes, Kolgar felt his blood run cold.
There was no fear upon the faces of the Elves, only ruthless determination.
With a silent prayer to Khorne, Kolgar hoped the Blood God was with him."

**RETIRED FROM WARHAMMER FANTASY 2015. END TIMES.**
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

Re: Avatar File Size

#2 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

I saved mine as a lower quality file to have it, but I'm sure you can link to a larger file/pic.
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Th3_5had0w_K1ng

#3 Post by Th3_5had0w_K1ng »

Unfortunately, no. When linking to a picture URL it is still under the same file size restrictions as a normal upload from a personal computer.

Ricold
Wise Old Dwarf

#4 Post by Ricold »

Th3_5had0w_K1ng wrote:Hey guys,

While trying to load an avatar, I struggle to make it 150x150 and even when I do it needs to be under 7 Kb?!? That's difficult to do considering all of the higher resolution pictures these days. It's really difficult to get it under 10 or 12 Kb. Anyway it can be increased slightly by the admins? Or am I just resizing my pictures wrong?
Today's top tip: 150x150 pixels is completely unrelated to resolution. Resolution is pixels per inch (or similar). We are not telling you it has to be under 1" by 1", but under 150x150px, so you can't have a "high resolution" 150px picture, it either has 150 pixels, more or less. If more, then it's too big.

I'm going to request that the Loremasters do NOT increase the file size available for avatars. I still occasionally browse via a mobile connection, for which I pay by the KB. If people were to be allowed bigger avatars, then I will not be the only one to be paying extra money to visit the site.

If you're struggling to get your pictures small enough, try using better compression. Photoshop certainly has a function called "save for web" that tells you how bit it will be before you save it.
Ricold, Not site owner any more, largely absent. PM me if you want me. PM Prince of Spires if you need the head Loremaster.
Giladis
The Merlord

#5 Post by Giladis »

I also believe that bigger Avatars are not necesary. After all they are just visual aids to more easily remeber other posters.
Th3_5had0w_K1ng

#6 Post by Th3_5had0w_K1ng »

Ricold wrote:
Today's top tip: 150x150 pixels is completely unrelated to resolution. Resolution is pixels per inch (or similar). We are not telling you it has to be under 1" by 1", but under 150x150px, so you can't have a "high resolution" 150px picture, it either has 150 pixels, more or less. If more, then it's too big.

If you're struggling to get your pictures small enough, try using better compression. Photoshop certainly has a function called "save for web" that tells you how bit it will be before you save it.
You can have different size files that are both 150x150. Depending on the image compression used, one may be 7 kb and another may be 15 kb. The more the picture is compressed the less detail you will see.

Edit: Irregardless, I got it to work. I just compressed it really far. Thanks for the help guys.

Allerion
Librarian

#7 Post by Allerion »

Giladis wrote:I also believe that bigger Avatars are not necesary. After all they are just visual aids to more easily remeber other posters.
I always get really confused when someone changes their avatar. Of course, if I saw a lion, I would think of Luna, or If I saw two eye thingies in a dimly lit room, I would think its para, or if I saw Gil, I would think its him.
Excited for TOW
Bob of Beleriand
The Clubslinger

#8 Post by Bob of Beleriand »

Irregardless isn't a word.
Asurion Whitestar
The White Star Captain

#9 Post by Asurion Whitestar »

Bob of Beleriand wrote:Irregardless isn't a word.
Oh man, I almost laughed my arse onto the floor reading this.
As I was reading the new posts since last I checked, scrolling, scrolling. Then saw TSK's post of Irregardless, I thought to my self as I chuckled, "really?, REALLY??! Man I'm gonna jump all over that :3", then scroll down some more and BAM! Bob's already done it.

Thanks for the laugh Bob.

So Shadow King, the word you're looking for is Regardless. Meaning the absence of an act to regard, or to give a damn. This plays into the prefix that is commonly associated with regardless being "Ir", usually used to make the following word an antonym of its original meaning. So, the word Irregardless (which isn't an actual word, despite it's wide use of the drop-kick populace, NOT saying that you are.) would actually be an antonym of Regardless, so to infact, care about the statement in which would follow the afore mentioned word of Irregardless.

To cover all bases of a possible smart-arse reply to my very helpful post.
In Urban or sometimes Modern dictionaries, you will find the word Irregardless as below.

Irregardless.
Adverb.
1. regardless; a combination of Irrespective and Regardless sometimes used humorously.

To in which this case, it was..
Colon, letter three..
Sincerely,
Kitlith

Head of the Ninth Age 'High' Elves of Light Army Support.

The Mighty Pen (App) Link coming soon
Talifan

#10 Post by Talifan »

=D> =D> Asurion, well done Sir! Im still laughing about that one! Larger Avatars are not needed in mho either. If your looking at pics via google pictures, you can select a pixel size as one of the search criteria.
[color=#FF0080]Live and Fight with Honour, for We are the Most Noble[/color]
[color=#0000FF]2012 Games - (W/L/D) 49-1-0[/color]
[img]http://mawhammer.yolasite.com/resources/Gem1.JPG[/img]
Lord Whitestar's Leviathan Company Champion.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38785]Blog[/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000297179244]Facebook for Talifan[/url]
[quote="Aicanor"]Yes, Sapherian princes are an evil bunch.[/quote]
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#11 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Th3_5had0w_K1ng
Get irfan view, use the save for web feature, it allows you to set the file size when you save. The program has awesome features for freeware.
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Lord Anathir

#12 Post by Lord Anathir »

any other simple solutions? I have an avater 60kb jpeg and I dont know how to lower its kb size.

I cant see an option to change its quality
For the dwarfs, there was only this. Hammerson met Grombrindal’s gaze, and the White Dwarf nodded slowly. If it must be done, let it be done well. Whether they were dead or alive, that was the only way dwarfs knew how to do anything.

And Grombrindal said "10 from the back, yeah?"
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#13 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

Lord Anathir, what software are you using to make your avatar?
[url=http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34506][i]Lord Elessehta Silverbough of Ar Yvrellion, Ruler of Athel Anarhain, Prince of the Yvressi.[/i][/url]
[quote="Narrin’Tim"]These may be the last days of the Asur, but if we are to leave this world let us do it as the heroes of old, sword raised against evil![/quote]
Th3_5had0w_K1ng

#14 Post by Th3_5had0w_K1ng »

Asurion Whitestar wrote:
Bob of Beleriand wrote:Irregardless isn't a word.
Oh man, I almost laughed my arse onto the floor reading this.

So Shadow King, the word you're looking for is Regardless. Meaning the absence of an act to regard, or to give a damn. This plays into the prefix that is commonly associated with regardless being "Ir", usually used to make the following word an antonym of its original meaning. So, the word Irregardless (which isn't an actual word, despite it's wide use of the drop-kick populace, NOT saying that you are.) would actually be an antonym of Regardless, so to infact, care about the statement in which would follow the afore mentioned word of Irregardless.

To cover all bases of a possible smart-arse reply to my very helpful post.
In Urban or sometimes Modern dictionaries, you will find the word Irregardless as below.

Irregardless.
Adverb.
1. regardless; a combination of Irrespective and Regardless sometimes used humorously.

To in which this case, it was..
Colon, letter three..
Holy crap... one use of a socially acceptable word and bam... it's grammar gang-bang time. Thanks for the education gentlemen but REGARDLESS I don't think using that word is worse than the plethora of misused "theirs/theres/they'res" on this site. However, since you are correct I will do the manly thing and accept my berating of the ill used word and will carefully check the rest of my english postings on this site.

PS about the avatar file size... doesn't need to be bigger. One just has to google how to compress images.

Mr Pig

#15 Post by Mr Pig »

If anyone has photoshop then using 'save for web' instead of 'save' gives the option of much better compression for web images. Using the standard save option I struggled to get my avatar below 30kb without hideous compression. I realise not everyone has photoshop but thought this might help someone :)
Elessehta of Yvresse
Well played Sir

#16 Post by Elessehta of Yvresse »

irfan view, it's free and has the setting to limit the file size when saving. The compression can sometimes be brutal but some people expect too much ^_^