Halls of Ancients

Important game and board announcements and website or forum related topics

Moderators: The Heralds, The Loremasters

Tahl

Halls of Ancients

#1 Post by Tahl »

This place of the website hasn't been updated in the last few years.

Therefore after speaking to the loremasters I am suggesting that we bring it up to date a bit.

We need two members for each year for the last 3 years. (as I think that was the last time it was updated).

Therefore could you guys please nominate who and why and we can argue out those that most deserve it.

My personal nominations are:

2006:
Elthair - For his hard work as High loremaster in Timmys absense.
Firehearth - For his hard work in Citizens levy.

2007:
Eldacar- For his hard work in fluff during the campaigns
Anarion-For his hard work coding the campaigns

2008:
Voodoomaster- For his hard work on the campaigns
Ericj- For his continued presence on the boards and contribution to the site.

...Let the debate begin!
Winner of the 'Best member' award Incumbent
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
Burning Sun
Fire and Faith

Re: Halls of Ancients

#2 Post by Burning Sun »

Tahl wrote:Ericj
Who? Isn't that one of the noobs who keeps kicking around annoying people? ;)
[size=90]Ex-Loremaster, despite what some of the profile may say, I can't edit it any more. Contact one of the others for issues.

Whaia e koe ki te iti kahurangi; ki te tuohu koe, me maunga teitei - Maori Proverb
(Seek the treasure you value most dearly: if you bow your head, let it be to a lofty mountain)[/size]
NoOoDLe

#3 Post by NoOoDLe »

My vote goes to Anarion, Voodles and Eldy. :)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
Tahl

#4 Post by Tahl »

Burning Sun wrote:
Tahl wrote:Eldacar
Who? Isn't that one of the noobs who keeps kicking around annoying people? ;)

Sorry couldn't resit. :D

Yes Sun he is but EricJ has been doing it with consistancy for years and years and years, and the Halls a little loremaster heavy so I thought it might be nice to get an average joe in there.

Edit: Noodles, you're meant to nominate 6 members for the last three years (hopefully for something they did during those years) those shown are just my personal votes.
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/wraith-lord/misc/Animebanner.gif?t=1285150718[/img]
Anarion
The White Lion

#5 Post by Anarion »

Not sure these are all for the last three years but here's some names from the past that I feel warrant recognition.

Silverglade
VictorK
Shadow

and dare I say it... TimmyMWD?
Never moon a werewolf.
Shandiar

#6 Post by Shandiar »

Anarion, VictorK, Timmy.

For those not (ex)lores - EricJ (for hosting the first DAU), Firehearth for his hard work and also NZBFBM did alot of work 3 years back I think
High Priest of ASS
NoOoDLe

#7 Post by NoOoDLe »

Oh right, 6 you say?

Uhmm..

For taking the extremely hard job of keeping this site running while campaigns are around and succeeding!
- Anarion
- Eldacar
- Voodoomaster
- TimmyMWD

For bringing the site back from the dead;
- Burning Sun

For being an utter bastard for years on end;
- EricJ
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v109/mdelarbre/slaanesh.jpg[/img][quote="Raneth"]Noodle was elected prime minister for the duration of the crisis.[/quote]
Prince_Asuryan
Giantslayer

#8 Post by Prince_Asuryan »

Now, this is just me but I think this should be done a little differently.

Everyone so far has suggested that Lores be put into the Hall of Ancients for work on the site. While this is all well and good, it also makes it difficult for regular members to get the recognition they deserve because without Loremaster status, they can't really work on physical attributes of the site such as helping it run etc. In addition to this, being a Loremaster is often recognition - everyone knows who they are and what they do around here.

If we only put Lores in, which strikes me as five out of six of the main nominations, we kind of ignore those members who do so much work on the boards themselves and receive no recognition beyond the silent respect of other board members.

I think that while all lores, of course, do huge amounts of amazing work on the boards, they should be automatically added to the hall of Ancients once they retire, and let these member awards be for the 'working class' of the boards.

Having said that, I now need to think of some nominations.
'The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.'
Eldacar
Auctoritas Principis

#9 Post by Eldacar »

Prince_Asuryan wrote:Now, this is just me but I think this should be done a little differently.
I tend to agree with you on the difference issue.

It is a slight problem with the layout and concept of the awards, I think. In general, the members who have been around for so long and do so much work that they would be candidates for the Hall of the Ancients will most often (upwards of 90% of the time, were I to make a ballpark guess) also be fulfilling the same criteria for Loremaster status (the two are fairly similar in the long run, after all). As a result, they usually end up being asked to fill up an empty slot if one exists (there isn't one right now, just FYI to everybody). That's probably one of the biggest reasons for the Hall currently holding quite a few Loremasters.

I don't know that I agree with automatically adding Lores to the Hall of the Ancients, though. IMO, you should be there not just on the basis that you're a Lore (or ex-Lore, rather), but because you've been put there because you should actually be there and the collective membership of the site thinks you should be there (setting aside the issue of how Loremaster-hood tends to run along parallel lines to the HoA requirements).

Yes, I'm aware that it conflicts slightly with the above point about how the Hall is filled with Lores at the moment, but it does take part of the "Hall of Ancients" selection out of the hands of the (on average) seven or eight individuals who debate/decide on which member should be promoted to Loremaster-hood off the shortlist when it happens to be necessary (more or less the active Loremasters and the ex-Lores who post in Congress on a regular basis - you know who you are :wink: ).
"Hi guys, I just want to say that for some unknown reason I dreamed the entire Lore team was on my roof last night and we were barbequing a marlin while discussing some rand stuff. It was vivid enough for me that my mother had to wake me up to stop me from mumbling and twitching, believing I was having a nightmare." ~Giladis

"Think of the Loremasters as irresponsible parents. VictorK is the one you need to talk to if you want permission for something, I'm the evil parent that says 'no' and Eldacar is your grumpy grandfather who fought in some war and is scary and authoritative." ~Ruerl Khan

"And believe me, I like my websites like I like my boyfriends: wild, free, and unlikely to give me a virus." ~Sirist

[21:39:08] <Lethalis> Cenyu; I figured that with all the smoke that always seems to hang around you, you'd be used to it.
[21:39:49] <Cenyu> Bold words, flying Dutchman.
Tahl

#10 Post by Tahl »

No new nominations? :(